The first silver that crossed my palm...

firemaiden

Okay, I don't mean to make it a habit of this, but I actually read for sort of money today. I say sort of because it wasn't very much, LOL, she didn't ask for the reading, and I didn't ask for it for money, it was sort of token money - you know, symbolic. But its a threshold crossed; perhaps it will happen again.

My favorite haunt (aka "The Wormhole") has recently errected tables, and there is now a wireless signal; so I was drinking the world's best coffee, and finishing up a reading online for my "Victorian Romantic Tarot Goes to Work" thread, when a lady I often visit with popped in, eyes full of tears. She'd just put her cat of 19 years down, and was in a lot of distress about many things. I made her sit down, and we talked a bit. A friend had told her "maybe some things were just not meant to be...." suggesting that maybe she was not meant to ever find another man in her life, or love again, ever (LOL).

So I just took out my deck and started shuffling, and told her to pick three cards. At first she wasn't much interested, but the Victorian Romantic deck is so beautiful, it intrigues and makes converts out of everyone!

The first card was the Wheel of Fortune, it shows a man and a white horse coming with the offering of a crown, towards a man on the ground, tending to trapping birds. (Trapping birds!) I said it suggested gifts and a change were on their way ... (I can think of so much more to say now, of course!). I said this man on his way might not be the man she was looking for, but there might be someone else who interested her within his retinue. Ah yes, the retinue.

She also picked the Nine of Swords for "What is hidden" - I suggested it reflected her misery, but it also suggested she was allowing negative thoughts to affect her prospects.

She picked The Fool as her final outcome. At the sight of the fool balancing on a drum, she seemed to understand right away, it had to do with letting go of all burdens, and beginning anew. And she seemed to drop her burdens even as she saw the card.

When were were done, her face was full of joy again!

I have the feeling it mattered very little whether what I said was accurate or relevant: it was not the content, but the mere fact of reading, the mere fact of sitting there with her, and inquiring of fortune together, that was in itself a healing act.

Since she knew of the expression "cross my palm with silver", she superstitiously gave me some :) -- I won't say how much, it was so not the point -- But anyway, there we go, I am no longer a virgin. :D

Anyone else want to tell how they lost their virginity?

RussianSoul

What a wonderful story, firemaiden!

Congratulations on everything:

-the serendipity of you being there for this woman
-having cards with you
-cards being Victorian Romantic that appealed to her
-the mood set just right
-and yea... losing your "fortune-telling" "virginity" :)

firemaiden

Thank you Russian soul. You know the way you put it, it makes it seem like there was a lot of serendipity involved! And especially that the first card foretold a good fortune, LOL.

Would you enjoy to share a story of your own?

Major Tom

Such a brilliant story - thanks for sharing it with us. I somehow knew you wouldn't be a virgin forever. ;)

firemaiden said:
Anyone else want to tell how they lost their virginity?

When I first learned to read I only used the 22 trumps. I had the mini Rider Waite Smith deck which fit perfectly inside a box a cigarette lighter had come in. This is turn fit inside my shirt pocket and so I took my cards with me everywhere. Mind you this was back in the 80s, so I can't remember the cards or even the person but I use to get my cards out at my local bar. It was there that I first read for another person and I was 'paid' with my next drink. 'hic'

tmgrl2

AHA!!!! YAY!!! People out there deserve to have a reading from you, fm......

So happy for you...

Yes...it is the process!!

My first reading was for a gift card, reader chose amount....a psychologist at school who had relationship questions...not quite two years ago.

At first, she just took it in...we interacted...the process was going, but she was quite puzzled about some of what came forward.

Then a couple of weeks later, I ran into her at a district level meeting. She came running over to me...and said something to the effect of:

"You were so right. Everything is making sense now and I know what I have to do....I want to set up another reading with you..."

So...I suggested we wait a bit.

So, that was it.

At first I just started carrying my cards with me, bringing them out, shuffling, reading a few for myself...people asked questions...I told them I read Tarot, and almost always someone asked for reading.

Initially, my readings were for gift cards....some exchanges of service, which I still do, ...massage for reading.

When I started reading for people I didn't know...at my home office, by appointment, I set up a fee schedule.

I am "supposed to" read at our local cafe...but right now I can't do anything regularly. But I do have someone meet me there occasionally and we read over coffee.

I am really so thrilled that this opportunity came forth!!

I did a reading this past week...and I remember the Tower card (Morgan Greer) popping up in the Card #8 position in a CC (which I rarely do, just felt like it). My sitter blanched when she saw the flames and falling bodies...

I touched on the card, since I read them one by one as I turn them over and then tie them together as I go along...I talked about the card and its relationship to Card #7...later, it just came to me...she has wanted to do so many things with her life, but has always had so many reasons she "couldn't" do them..

Then, recently, her husband got a job, and, as a result, she got health insurance (and could now have no excuse for needed doctors' visits), she inherited some money from her mother....there were a few other events as well, but each one had a "Tower" effect in her life because of the doors it opened. We both, together, realized that is what this card was saying.

That's the beauty of the process. I have read for her 3-4 times in the past two years, so I know more about her...which helps the process ....but it isn't necessary to know anything.

Again...

YAY!!!!!

terri

Umbrae

firemaiden said:
But anyway, there we go, I am no longer a virgin.

Grats on that...

:smoker:

firemaiden

Umbrae said:
Grats on that...

Oh... so you're not going to share with us how you lost your virginity, eh? CHICKEN!!

Umbrae

It's not G, or even PG rated...sorry.

This is a family forum.

huredriel

Fraid no story to tell yet ....... not lost mine yet :D ........ but how wonderful for your friend ....... and you've also given her something very special ....... hope ....... and that, to me, is priceless!

x Huredriel

firemaiden

Why thank you huredriel. Thank you all my friends. I'm enjoying this thread. :D I can't say I plan on asking for money again in the future, but I very much enjoyed reading live for a person in need. That will have to happen again. Of course the moment was perfect, becuase she really needed something.