When Death means DEATH

sweet_intuition

Okay, I know it's a freaky thought, however, has anyone ever had an experience when it the card Death actually signified or predicted one?

My experience happened when my friend's grandmother passed away a few years ago, I did a celtic cross for him a few days past the wake, when he asked what's happening around him and what's going to happen... the card 1 position, out came Death.

Anyone wish to share?

Gayla

I can't remember where I read it...but it was talking about what the death card really means...these days we like to say it just means something is coming to and end, but what 'death' means 'death'...right?

I had it come up in a reading for someone a few weeks ago in the house position of a CC. The querent thought it confirmed her bad dreams about the possibility of her young son dying...I did not entertain her notion.

The connected it to the 10 of swords in the Hope and Fears position and told her she was always fear the worst...but that part of the reading has stuck with me a bit...

Death is not a cozy card...but it's part of the deck, just as it is part of life.

Bottom line, I'm not going to connect it to a actual death, but if the querent does, I'll do my best to help them come to terms with the card in the reading.

In regards to the reading you did for your friend...well, it's a testement to how powerful a tool the Tarot really is. I have yet to have anyone tell me the cards did not connect to their life in some direct or indirect way. The cards don't lie, discriminate or play favorites...that's the beauty of the tarot...even when the negative cards appear.

:) Hope this helps. G.

Mi-Shell

Like it or not: sometimes Death means Death!!

First week of September I got the sad news that one of my clients and friend had suddenly taken a turn for the worse and then a day later died.
I was upsett and .... oh well the usual sad thoughts and conversations .... you all know it...
A couple of hours later, just to get my mind of things and do what I always do, I pulled my card of the day: Death!
I told another friend and fellow AT-er about it and she was shocked.....
Mi-Shell

Gregorio

This happened to me several years ago when I was doing a reading for a friend of mine. She was concerned about the health of her mother and the death card came up as the "final outcome" of the reading (a simple Celtic Cross spread). Two days later her mother died at home. I think this experience is one of the reasons why I have become so fond of the Connoly Tarot deck where the Death card has been renamed Transition and the imagery changed. I've never forgotten that experience and it has been the only truly unpleasent one I've ever had in 20 years of tarot reading.

Sweet Irish Angel

Oh No!!

oh boicha le dia! it has not happened to me, I dont know what id do, it has came up when someone has recently passed but not actually predicting their death, fingers crossed it NEVER does, I would not know what to say :(

Umbrae

The Death Card (XIII) does not mean death…

So many "Gnu Age" phoks nowdays say it only means 'Change'. Uh…so like uh…what does mean death? Or is death not important in a person's life?

Mommy’s dead? Guess it don’t matter huh…

Read a wonderful article on the Death card at another site (system will not allow me to link - and posting it gets astrisk'd out oh well). I’d like to quote, “if you know anything about Tarot…”

Well by golly lets check out some experts, shall we?

Pratesi’s Cartomancer (1750) Death
De Mellit (1781) Death
Court de Gébelin (1773-1782) Death
Lévi (1855) Death
Christian (1870) …In the physical world death…
Mathers( 1888) Death, change
Golden Dawn (188-96) Death
Waite (1910) Death, end…mortality

Well I’m glad we straightened that out (he said sarcastically) …The Death card does not mean death...Whew...

poivre

I don't think there is a definite death when this card
comes up, maybe a definite ending of some kind.

For me, when my mother was sick, I drew some cards
just to see, you know, if it really means death. I drew
The Empress, Death and The Moon.
You know the rest of the story.

I don't ask that question anymore and
won't answer questions of people wanting to
know about death.
Re-word the question please, is the answer! :laugh:

I never wanted to see Death again,
in that kind of light. I asked the question
and got the answer.

The end of a situation.
:)

LixiPixi

I really think the death card, just like ANY other, depends on the querent, the situation, the question, the deck, and soooo many various factors. Yes, the Death card could mean death in the literal sense. But at the same time, it could be a metaphor describing a type of ending to anything important in our lives. I mean, if my rose bushes die at the end of the season, it would be an accurate prediction to see the the death card in a reading for me. Just as we see Justice or Lovers or Wheel of Fortune - they show up for a reason.

A parent could be suffering from cancer and the child seek a reading that never shows anything negative. That wouldn't mean that the cards were inaccurate or insensitive because they didn't draw the death card. It would just have a different way of expressing that sadness or stress or love in your life. There are so many factors and so many different meanings for even the most common cards - I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to assume the worst. That death card could be referring to your rose bushes that you've tended to all year long or your car breaking down or many various things. Maybe that's why I like the lighter-hearted cards better than the darker - they leave less room to assume the worst.

LP~

MeeWah

Yes, I have, so do not see the card of Death to refer to only or primarily the metaphysical concept.

Having also read accurately other cards to mean death, it depends on the moment of the reading & other factors.

Umbrae

LixiPixi said:
I really think the death card, just like ANY other, depends on the querent, the situation, the question, the deck, and soooo many various factors. Yes, the Death card could mean death in the literal sense. But at the same time, it could be a metaphor describing a type of ending to anything important in our lives. I mean, if my rose bushes die at the end of the season, it would be an accurate prediction to see the the death card in a reading for me. Just as we see Justice or Lovers or Wheel of Fortune - they show up for a reason.
LP~
Absolutely eloquent and concise.