PDA

View Full Version : Dream/Sleep Pillow

sascha
18-11-2006, 07:18
Can anyone advise me on making a dream pillow? I thought I would make a small pillow and include a lavender sachet inside. (I actually want to make a pillow to help with relaxation and sleep rather than promote dreaming.) Is it necessary to use buckwheat hulls? Do they contribute something in particular, or are they just a filler?

Many thanks!

Sweet Irish Angel
18-11-2006, 07:43
Lavender will defo help as it is used to enhance sleey :) so thats defo a good idea, and maybe add a crystal or two :)
I use them all the time and they are fab

Apollonia
18-11-2006, 07:52
I think the buckwheat is just a filler. If you're interested in deep sleep, I would include hops for sure, and maybe some chamomile as well.

Milfoil
18-11-2006, 07:56
Why are you finding it difficult to sleep?

MountainAsh
18-11-2006, 08:14
I second the suggestion of Chamomile, very excellent for sleep and relaxation. Passion flower is another idea. Try and blend the amounts of herbs that you put in so that you get an aroma that YOU enjoy and that will relax you.

sascha
18-11-2006, 08:30
These are all very helpful ideas!
Milfoil, I'm actually making the pillow as a gift for my girlfriend who is bipolar and is also the primary caregiver for her elderly mom. Because of this, she loses a lot of sleep and always feels "on alert" (I think kind of like new moms must feel!). I'm hoping to give her something peaceful and relaxing in the hope that the sleep she does get would be more restful. I'm also very open to any other ideas anyone has for this situation!! :)

MountainAsh
18-11-2006, 09:18
Try putting a chunk of Hematite in it to help her ground, that may help.

ravenest
18-11-2006, 09:48
Not that it is a herb or a crystal but it deffinatly gives me a good nights sleep. A pillow with a very specific rubber smell. It took me ages to find out why. The smell was very close to that of rubber used to make underwater facemasks and I spent a large happy portion of my childhood in "an octopus's garden" smelling that smell.

The point is, perhaps you could use scents that give your friend a happy or relaxing or sleepy memory? That way the unconcious can be relaxed.
Ask her about times when she felt the most happy and relaxed, then ask about that environment and work it down from there. perhaps there is a flower or herb involved

Milfoil
18-11-2006, 20:10
These are all very helpful ideas!
Milfoil, I'm actually making the pillow as a gift for my girlfriend who is bipolar and is also the primary caregiver for her elderly mom. Because of this, she loses a lot of sleep and always feels "on alert" (I think kind of like new moms must feel!). I'm hoping to give her something peaceful and relaxing in the hope that the sleep she does get would be more restful. I'm also very open to any other ideas anyone has for this situation!! :)

Oh what a lovely gift and a thoughtfull one too.

From wikipedia: herbs such as valerian, chamomile, lavender, hops, and passion-flower. Valerian has undergone the most studies and appears to be modestly effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia

The article is quite good and sites several reasons for sleep disturbances which may apply to your girlfriend. I have certainly found that diet and stress are the two major causes for me and it sounds like stress is a component of your girlfriends problem too. Finding a way to deal with the situation effectively will really help such as a routine if possible where, for example, the alarm clock takes over the role of worrying about getting up at the right time etc.

Oh I know, its not that simple but little stuff like this all adds up and does help (I used to work in a day care centre for the elderly and routine is the only way to work, believe me!)

Sweet Irish Angel
18-11-2006, 20:35
oh what a lovely gesture,
that is so so sweet, Really hope you can find out what works best for your girlfriend :)

sascha
19-11-2006, 06:40
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughtfulness!
You all have so many really good ideas that would not have occurred to me...

Try putting a chunk of Hematite in it to help her ground, that may help.
Yes! I have a tiny piece carved in the shape of a sleeping cat...perhaps I could attach it on a cord to one corner??

perhaps you could use scents that give your friend a happy or relaxing or sleepy memory? That way the unconcious can be relaxed.
And this is an amazing idea! And so true...For me, there's nothing so comforting as the smell of cinnamon-vanilla cookies. But I also remember many happy summers at my local pool...that chlorine and swimcap smell DOES stay with you! I'll have to do some investigative questioning and get to her scent-subconscious... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia

The article is quite good and sites several reasons for sleep disturbances which may apply to your girlfriend. I have certainly found that diet and stress are the two major causes for me and it sounds like stress is a component of your girlfriends problem too. Finding a way to deal with the situation effectively will really help such as a routine if possible where, for example, the alarm clock takes over the role of worrying about getting up at the right time etc.

Oh I know, its not that simple but little stuff like this all adds up and does help (I used to work in a day care centre for the elderly and routine is the only way to work, believe me!)

And thank you so much Milfoil, for this amazing resource...it will keep me busy for a while...but offers SO many options to try. Valerian might be really helpful and still workable with her medications... I like the pomegranate idea too...I will look into this some more. She does also have sleep apnea, and that is being treated, so maybe that will also make a difference.

You are so right about having a routine... It's very important, both to keep her bipolar balanced, and to make the caregiving less stressful. When she has things under control, she feels better. An alarm would definitely help take the stress off of needing to remember to wake up... I think she's been worried about waking her mom up, so she waits until her mom wakes HER up...but then worries her mom won't wake her up...and so on... A gentle periodic alarm might allow them both to sleep better!

Love and Blessings to you all for a happy weekend!

viking goddess
20-11-2006, 04:38
I lik to make dream /sleep pillows from 100% cedar shavings.

Ankou
28-11-2006, 07:35
I know I'm late coming to the table here ;) Sorry 'bout that...

I highly recommend using the buckwheat instead of another filler. If you've finnished this one then for the future... I've made lots of little sleep pillows, using other fills when I couldn't find buckwheat, but nothing works as well. The buckwheat has a scent and feel that really makes a difference. The hulls dispearse a small amount of powder (barely noticeable) that adds with the lavender scent and works better than anything else. It works really well on headaches, knocking them down in less than a minute for me. The flax seed and rice fills never worked like that.

Cheers...

Ankou

Ankou
28-11-2006, 07:40
Reading some of the posts and reccomends in this thread, I'd like to also pitch in that you should keep the pillow simple! A pillow with stones tied to it isn't terribly comfortable, and alot of the sleepy herbs like Valerian, I wouldn't want in my pillow because they stink to high heaven.

Sounds like you need to keep the pillow simple and put together a care basket with it and some of the other recommedations as bedside aids...

OK so maybe I'm just being nosey now.... hee hee

Ankou

suebee
30-11-2006, 04:32
A nice room spray with passion flower and Lavender might go well with the dream pillow. She could also spray the pillow as a pick up if it starts loseing its scent. Just use some Distilled water and a few drops of E/O Or tincture of lavender and Passion flower. Passion flower tea is also wonderfull for helping sleep. Its great for high blood pressure too.

sascha
11-12-2006, 09:15
Oooh!!! I really like the idea of adding the pillow to a basket! I've purchased some cute angel fabric and some beaded fringe (but am now re-thinking the bead business!! LOL!)... Haven't put anything together yet....i'm pretty slow-moving on projects. But when I do, I hope to be able to show a photo to all of you.

A lavender spray and buckwheat hulls sound great...now for a trip to my local organic food store! Thinking I'll get enough to make an extra one as a present to myself! :D

Thanks again, everyone!

Purrceyz
11-12-2006, 19:05
I would caution against the use of chamomile if she has allergies...it is related to ragweed and can trigger allergic reactions in people who are suseptible :( (speaking from experience).

pixiequix
18-12-2006, 16:52
I've got a cool old recipe that's supposed to help induce vivid and lucid dreams. Here's what it calls for:
lavender, rose petals, mugwort, hops, chamomile, rosemary, borage and orris root.
I would also advise using buckwheat hulls as a base filler. The hulls are great for keeping your neck supported, but, since the dream pillow is really more for laying on top of your regular pillow...it's sort of a moot point anyway. Personally, I also like to add catnip and skullcap, but, you can add whatever relaxing and/or hypnotic herbs ya like-- hibiscus, passionflower, lemon balm etc.
~Sometimes I'll just make a little drawstring sachet for the herbs and toss it in my undies drawer so they pick up a lovely scent. ~