Dream/Sleep Pillow

sascha

Can anyone advise me on making a dream pillow? I thought I would make a small pillow and include a lavender sachet inside. (I actually want to make a pillow to help with relaxation and sleep rather than promote dreaming.) Is it necessary to use buckwheat hulls? Do they contribute something in particular, or are they just a filler?

Many thanks!

Sweet Irish Angel

Hiya

Lavender will defo help as it is used to enhance sleey :) so thats defo a good idea, and maybe add a crystal or two :)
I use them all the time and they are fab

Apollonia

I think the buckwheat is just a filler. If you're interested in deep sleep, I would include hops for sure, and maybe some chamomile as well.

Milfoil

Why are you finding it difficult to sleep?

MountainAsh

I second the suggestion of Chamomile, very excellent for sleep and relaxation. Passion flower is another idea. Try and blend the amounts of herbs that you put in so that you get an aroma that YOU enjoy and that will relax you.

sascha

Thanks!

These are all very helpful ideas!
Milfoil, I'm actually making the pillow as a gift for my girlfriend who is bipolar and is also the primary caregiver for her elderly mom. Because of this, she loses a lot of sleep and always feels "on alert" (I think kind of like new moms must feel!). I'm hoping to give her something peaceful and relaxing in the hope that the sleep she does get would be more restful. I'm also very open to any other ideas anyone has for this situation!! :)

MountainAsh

Try putting a chunk of Hematite in it to help her ground, that may help.

ravenest

Not that it is a herb or a crystal but it deffinatly gives me a good nights sleep. A pillow with a very specific rubber smell. It took me ages to find out why. The smell was very close to that of rubber used to make underwater facemasks and I spent a large happy portion of my childhood in "an octopus's garden" smelling that smell.

The point is, perhaps you could use scents that give your friend a happy or relaxing or sleepy memory? That way the unconcious can be relaxed.
Ask her about times when she felt the most happy and relaxed, then ask about that environment and work it down from there. perhaps there is a flower or herb involved

Milfoil

sascha said:
These are all very helpful ideas!
Milfoil, I'm actually making the pillow as a gift for my girlfriend who is bipolar and is also the primary caregiver for her elderly mom. Because of this, she loses a lot of sleep and always feels "on alert" (I think kind of like new moms must feel!). I'm hoping to give her something peaceful and relaxing in the hope that the sleep she does get would be more restful. I'm also very open to any other ideas anyone has for this situation!! :)

Oh what a lovely gift and a thoughtfull one too.

From wikipedia: herbs such as valerian, chamomile, lavender, hops, and passion-flower. Valerian has undergone the most studies and appears to be modestly effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia

The article is quite good and sites several reasons for sleep disturbances which may apply to your girlfriend. I have certainly found that diet and stress are the two major causes for me and it sounds like stress is a component of your girlfriends problem too. Finding a way to deal with the situation effectively will really help such as a routine if possible where, for example, the alarm clock takes over the role of worrying about getting up at the right time etc.

Oh I know, its not that simple but little stuff like this all adds up and does help (I used to work in a day care centre for the elderly and routine is the only way to work, believe me!)

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

oh what a lovely gesture,
that is so so sweet, Really hope you can find out what works best for your girlfriend :)