Bad reader

WOGIT

I was woundering , what in your mind makes someone a "bad" reader ?

Grizabella

I guess if I had to define a "bad" reader, I'd say one of those who tells you she's seeing a curse and you have to give her umpty-hundred dollars to get rid of it. Something along those lines. Or someone who was just pretending to read because they saw it as a way to earn a quick buck.

Other than that, I'd not want to say whether anyone was really bad or good. I think maybe I'd just go with saying some readers are more inexperienced than others.

Honestly, I'm so busy working on my own understanding of the cards and my own effort to read well for those who ask me that I don't spend any time thinking of who might be bad or good.

FaeryGodmother

I think anyone who makes you feel worse about yourself, your situation or your options is a bad reader. No matter how many awful cards come up in a spread, or how much bad news there is there is always a way to move through that. Yes, the reader should deliver any bad news that comes up, but you should not feel awful for having had your cards read.

Also someone who swears they are right even if you are telling them that you don't connect to a word they are saying. This is not to say sitters are always right, sometimes they don't quite know what the reader is talking about at first but then it clicks later. But if they are telling you that you are in the throes of a passionate relationship and you've been single for months and you tell them and they still swear you are in a realtionship then its time to go elsewhere.

Ditto to those who are out to get your money.

greycats

A reader that's not sensitive nor knowledgeable and doesn't know it. ;)

cheekyminx

Ohhh Im a bad reader :laugh:

Well when you can't relate to the reading at all, make no sense of it. The reading will leave you feeling weird....unsure...lost...confused...sad...angry.

Umbrae

FaeryGodmother said:
Also someone who swears they are right even if you are telling them that you don't connect to a word they are saying. [...] But if they are telling you that you are in the throes of a passionate relationship and you've been single for months and you tell them and they still swear you are in a realtionship then its time to go elsewhere.
cheekyminx said:
Well when you can't relate to the reading at all, make no sense of it.

Sometimes, a good reader will ‘go off’ and do a wonderful reading – except it makes zero sense. It’s all wacky.

Perhaps (and sometimes I remember to tell this to folks, sometimes not)…the message is meant for the higher self and no – the self sitting in the chair ain’t gonna get it…unless they think on it about a week from now.

I’m a Tarot reader, not a mind reader. I don’t guess what you got in your pockets, I don’t guess what’s on your appointment calendar on Thursday afternoon (don’t go out for Ice-Cream)…we (you and I) read Tarot.

Sometimes it don’t tell us what we think we should hear.

Yeah – you too can be a sucky reader if your cards come up wonky and you don’t have the skills to dialogue with the sitter to figure out what it is they are saying.

What makes a bad reader? The ones who think that Tarot Reading is a monologue constructed of keywords.

greycats said:
A reader that's not sensitive nor knowledgeable and doesn't know it. ;)

Sorry – I know some brilliant readers who are not sensitive and they know it and trust me – you’d pay money to stand in line and have them read for you!

(perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use of 'nor' in the sentence)

As for the $200 candles to remove curses…

If you read long enough for strangers, you will have a sitter who’s convinced they are cursed. No amount of discussion will assuage their fears.

They will insist you help them.

And you know there ain’t nothin’ wrong.

And trust me…They will ask about candles and you selling them some gee-gaw or bandywhip to purge the curse.

True, you’ll tell them “No, I’m a card reader…”

Week after week they’ll come back and look worse and worse and worse and the sad tale of woe gets worse and worse and all they want you to do is sell them a candle, remove the curse…and they get frailer and dowdyer...losing weight, dark circles under the eyes, distracted....

I'm not saying you'll sell them a candle for $200 - but you'll do something.

Some of you (IMO) need to get out and read for strangers…it’s a different world when theory and reality collide.

:smoker:

Tansey Ella

edited

FaeryGodmother

Umbrae said:
Sometimes, a good reader will ‘go off’ and do a wonderful reading – except it makes zero sense. It’s all wacky.

Perhaps (and sometimes I remember to tell this to folks, sometimes not)…the message is meant for the higher self and no – the self sitting in the chair ain’t gonna get it…unless they think on it about a week from now.

I’m a Tarot reader, not a mind reader. I don’t guess what you got in your pockets, I don’t guess what’s on your appointment calendar on Thursday afternoon (don’t go out for Ice-Cream)…we (you and I) read Tarot.

Sometimes it don’t tell us what we think we should hear.

Yeah – you too can be a sucky reader if your cards come up wonky and you don’t have the skills to dialogue with the sitter to figure out what it is they are saying.

What makes a bad reader? The ones who think that Tarot Reading is a monologue constructed of keywords.

This is true. I don't deny for a minute that this happens. Though IMO a "good" tarot reader will dialouge with their sitter and find a way of getting the message across in a way they can understand here and now and not just for the higher self.

I have had the personal experience of having a reading done years go by a very lovely gentleman (who I liked a lot) but who was telling me I was going to make decisions that I knew I was not. Even when I told him I had already decided differently he insisted that what he saw was right. I left the reading feeling awful and doubting myself, wondering if I should change my mind and do as he insisted. In the end I didn't and everything worked out well- nothing he said either clicked with me or came true later. I felt it was a waste of money and time.

celticnoodle

I would agree with Lyric, a 'bad' reader is one who 'sees' a curse on you, and you need to bring them money to 'fix' it. doesn't matter if it's a hundred dollars or ten. (and, i realize lyric is incl. all of them), as well as with faerygodmohter---nothing worse than a reader who can only see the bad things in your cards and offer no ray of hope! i have friends who have exp. both types of readings. one friend went to a tarot reader who told my friend that she saw her husband dying very soon! Can you imagine???? Esp. since my friend & her husband at the time were only in their early 30's and had a few little kids at home, with my friend being a stay at home mom! That was 35+ years ago, and her husband is still kicking! (so much for her accuracy):D ---but, that reader was totally irresponsible and most definately a BAD reader.

Also, a reader who will also get 'too involved' and begin to lecture and yell at you! I actually had that experience myself when I was a teenager--(about 17 or 18), and the reader was awful to me--yelling at me because i was supposedly upsetting my parents so badly. (Now, I ask you, what teenager doesn't upset their parents now & then?). She was in a public place reading, and I can tell you, I had quite alot of stares while being read! I finally told her I had enough, and I got up and walked away.