Does polishing/tumbling stones diminish their power?

buddhagoddess

This is an offshoot question from my Apache Tear thread since I thought it would relate to other crystals. Does the polishing, tumbling, or even carving a stone into a specific shape (i.e. point for jewelry) in any way negatively affect or diminish the stone's power? For some crystals, especially quartz, amethyst, and other translucent stones, I prefer them in the rough when possible. Other stones such as jaspers, agates, and other opaque stones, tumbled is fine. I am finding online some apache tear stones, but most are polished.

Thoughts?

SilverCloudedWolf

I always thought that as the tumbling or polishing doesn't change the crystal itself - as in it only changes it cosmetically, like plastic surgery doesn't change the person within - then it doesn't affect the stone's power or energy. I read in books that tumbling a stone radiates it's energy more evenly around it whereas a point focuses it's energy through the point, which makes sense to me. I've never found artificially shaped stones to be any different in basic energy than natural ones.

Silver

sharpchick

For working stones I use raw and tumbled, natural points and shaped stones. I think the form you choose depends to a large degree on aesthetic preference and whether or not you believe that shape has an effect on the working energy of the stone, i.e., double terminated quartz can absorb or radiate energy from both ends simultaneously, channeling it in two directions at once. Does it make a difference whether the point is naturally occuring one or shaped? I don't think so, but I'm just one person.

MCsea

Personally I feel the power remains the same in the vast majority of cases, I remember a thread that mentioned the WAY these stones are carved or polished may leave a 'mark' on them energetically so seeking out environmentally and socially responsible miners/collectors/polishers is always a good thing.

blessings

MARINA

Sweet Irish Angel

:)

I agree, I dont think it damages the crystal in any way or diminishes the power in them, but personally, I just put them in the wee cagy things and atttach them to a chain or drill a small hole through them and places a pin head through them and make a loop and dangle them from a chain ;)