Talismans & the Tarot

goDez

The purpose of this post is to see whether or not people have ideas on how to combine the philosophy and practice of the Tarot with that of Talismans.

I've done a small search on Talismans on this forum, just to mainly find alot of posts by a user called Talisman, and some posts on charms. I don't know if there are any other people on this website that create Talismans.

I hope I did post this in the right forum - it did not seem to fit in anywhere else. If an admin/mod thinks it should be moved, please, by all means. :)

Bear with me, for this is a long post, and people might feel offended by some of my ideas. If so, I would like to remind the reader that these are my personal ideas, opinions and experiences. I am not telling you how to view your universe.

Personally, I'm quite new to the practical aspect of Talismanmaking. However, I've read alot on different techniques of creating Talismans, living beings of power. I have thought alot about Talismans as well. The books I encourage anyone to read on the subject would be:

ISBN: 0919345921 - Janet & Stewart Farrar - A Witches' Bible
(look for the section on Talismans in the Index of the book)
ISBN: 0738700045 - Nick Farrell - Making Talismans
ISBN: 0850302099 - Israel Regardie - How to make and use Talismans
+ any reprint of The Magus by Francis Barrett or the Key of Solomon (the latter two only for reference)

Now, for all of you people who are knowledgeable about the subject at hand, I must make the following sidenote. It is my personal preference not to work with (Arch)angels or spirits. I acknowledge that these beings exist and that Talismans can be made alot more effective by 'using' the appropriate beings for the working. So, why not use it?

I am an Energyworker; in my opinion a Talisman works because it is an energybattery - it radiates its energy on the right person(s), event(s) or other purpose it might be programmed for. The energy transforms the energy so that the purpose is attained. Therefor any Talisman must have a clear set target - creating an energetic backlash is very easy. I've once read a text on working with energy that stated: "Treat energy nice, for it has feeling too." If you try to make a Talisman do something that makes the energy compulsive and destructive, you can count on a part of this energy to be directed straight at your spiritual being - if you want it or not. This is somewhat of a warning, but only to people new to the art of Talismanmaking; anyone who worked with energy before knows this and will work accordingly.

Therefor, I empower my Talismans with my personal energy. I'm a Witch, I prefer to do things that are practical and that actually work. Going through complex ritual might be appropriate if you need it; I was once told that being an energyworker is very convenient to say the least, because you don't need ritual if you are good at the energycraft. The result of any ritual or magical act is simply energy being transformed. Doing this from will & heart makes ritual a redundant tool. Again, this is my personal experience.

Now - why would I bother typing out all of this on a forum concerning Tarot? It's relative simple. I work with the Tarot, too. I'm relatively new to it (~2 years experience). I am hoping to integrate some of the work done by using the Tarot with Talismanmaking. How? Well, I could come up with the following very useful ideas:

- Divining about wheter a Talisman should be made at all,
- Divining about what exact properties a Talisman should encompass,
- Checking if a Talisman works.

There are probably other things you could do, but just the above SHOULD amaze any talismanmaker, simply because they are all points that make your life so much easier.

I have an idea about how to practically work with the third idea; I thought of the following steps to check if a Talisman you created works:

1) Leave the Talisman on top of the cards for a few (2~4) hours, unexposed to any moon- or sunlight or any other energysource. The cards should now be aligned to the Talisman.
2) Using the aligned cards (keeping the Talisman with you during the reading) during the appropriate planetary hour (look here). The Question is: "What is the purpose of this Talisman?"
3) Check if the Tarot comes up with the same purpose as you had in your mind when you created and empowered the Talisman.

The outcomes & what to do:
a) If it does not at all follow your purpose, recreate the Talisman - your intention during the creation process was NOT strong enough.
b) If it slightly follows the purpose, re-empower the Talisman - this is a fixable talisman, however, your intention during the empowerment process was NOT strong enough before.
c) If it follows your purpose, use the Talisman during the appropriate time & at the appropriate place.

So, what do we miss here? Tarotspreads!
I am not very good at comprising my own tarot spreads. As you might have noticed, the above step-by-step process does not say anything about a spread.

Is there anyone here that is interested enough in combining these two beautiful spiritual paths into two beautiful spiritual paths that work together & help each other out? Leave a message!

jenessa

QUOTE >> The purpose of this post is to see whether or not people have ideas on how to combine the philosophy and practice of the Tarot with that of Talismans.

REPLY >> Unfortunately i have no experience where talismans are concerned, tho i found this thread of real interest. & Thank you for the info. re: books on this subject, especially the ISBN #'s. I'm going to see if my local library can track these & order them in for me to read.

So altho i can't be of much help, i am intrigued by your ideas & method re: how to COMBINE tarot with talismans. What you have posted in this regard is good!! .. i just wished i knew more about this type of thing .. in fact i recently started a thread re: Tarot & The Occult & noted your reply.

As far as your comment >> why would I bother typing out all of this on a forum concerning Tarot? Well i'm glad you did, given that it appears your trying to integrate the 2 arts. I know nothing about magic or occult "practices", tho when i 1st. discovered tarot i felt an urge to "create something" .. << not sure what exactly, but i just had the sense that i needed to create something. & Funny thing is that i'm not arty in the least, i don't do crafts, nor can i draw/sketch. I did however come across the the concept of alters & placing objects around the area where one reads and otherwise trying to establish the right atmosphere, but as i know nothing about the "history of such practices" i haven't done this yet.

I'm very grounded .. very scholarly, indeed i have a legal turn of mind .. & yet i'm very drawn to the cards. Hmnn, i've been studying tarot for about 4 yrs. & all very diligently i might add. So no i'm not given to flights of fancy, but rather i tend to work my way thru things. However, ever since i started working with the cards, i've experienced the desire to "create something". So i'm going to check-out tailismans, whatever these are? because maybe thats whats missing. (Note when i say missing, what i mean is that altho my readings have been incredibly accurate to date, i still feel that i'm missing out on something??)

Also for your info. i recently posted in the poll re: tarot - magic or science?, so perhaps you'd like to read thru my reply in this regard so as to better acquaint yourself with where i'm coming from/REGARDS/jenessa

PS: My approach to tarot is very "philosophical", tho i don't know that much about "tarot practice" given that i've only been studying the cards for a relatively short time. Further to which & when it comes to the art of divination, i've been pondering this of late, as altho i can appreciate that knowledge is power i can't help but wonder how this knowledge can be applied/used?? So i'll defintely check-out talismans, because i'm curious as to their use.

goDez

jenessa said:
REPLY >> Unfortunately i have no experience where talismans are concerned, tho i found this thread of real interest. & Thank you for the info. re: books on this subject, especially the ISBN #'s. I'm going to see if my local library can track these & order them in for me to read.
I'm glad you became interested. Talismans are very interesting indeed. There's much ways you can use them in. Don't rush. Read up first, and I will be awaiting for discussion anytime :)
jenessa said:
So altho i can't be of much help, i am intrigued by your ideas & method re: how to COMBINE tarot with talismans. What you have posted in this regard is good!! .. i just wished i knew more about this type of thing .. in fact i recently started a thread re: Tarot & The Occult & noted your reply.
I replied :)
jenessa said:
As far as your comment >> why would I bother typing out all of this on a forum concerning Tarot? Well i'm glad you did, given that it appears your trying to integrate the 2 arts. I know nothing about magic or occult "practices", tho when i 1st. discovered tarot i felt an urge to "create something" .. << not sure what exactly, but i just had the sense that i needed to create something. & Funny thing is that i'm not arty in the least, i don't do crafts, nor can i draw/sketch. I did however come across the the concept of alters & placing objects around the area where one reads and otherwise trying to establish the right atmosphere, but as i know nothing about the "history of such practices" i haven't done this yet.
You don't have to be an artist to create talismans. You might want to be knowing what you are doing, and you would maybe want to have some experience in magic & energywork.
jenessa said:
I'm very grounded .. very scholarly, indeed i have a legal turn of mind .. & yet i'm very drawn to the cards. Hmnn, i've been studying tarot for about 4 yrs. & all very diligently i might add. So no i'm not given to flights of fancy, but rather i tend to work my way thru things. However, ever since i started working with the cards, i've experienced the desire to "create something". So i'm going to check-out tailismans, whatever these are? because maybe thats whats missing. (Note when i say missing, what i mean is that altho my readings have been incredibly accurate to date, i still feel that i'm missing out on something??)
Being scholarly is also a very good property of a magician; it helps to go about things in a systematic approach, and that eventually lifts the understanding of life & magic & nature on lots of points. Good thing! Readings that go 'bad' might just need some time for the more indepth explanation you did not get at the first time you looked at the cards. Just write down your reading and ponder on it. Meditate on it.

jenessa said:
Also for your info. i recently posted in the poll re: tarot - magic or science?, so perhaps you'd like to read thru my reply in this regard so as to better acquaint yourself with where i'm coming from/REGARDS/jenessa
I've voted... :)
jenessa said:
PS: My approach to tarot is very "philosophical", tho i don't know that much about "tarot practice" given that i've only been studying the cards for a relatively short time. Further to which & when it comes to the art of divination, i've been pondering this of late, as altho i can appreciate that knowledge is power i can't help but wonder how this knowledge can be applied/used?? So i'll defintely check-out talismans, because i'm curious as to their use.
Hey, you've been at it twice longer then me ;)