Does hand sanitizer (alcohol) damage crystals?

buddhagoddess

Since I work with animals and the public (and my son a toddler) I wash my hands alot and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Will it damage my rings that have stones in them? I have moonstone, diamond, tiger eye, labradorite, topaz, and amber.

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

To be honest,
I think it will coat them,
i take the rings off when washing my hands with sanitizer :)

Papageno

buddhagoddess said:
Since I work with animals and the public (and my son a toddler) I wash my hands alot and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Will it damage my rings that have stones in them? I have moonstone, diamond, tiger eye, labradorite, topaz, and amber.

topaz, diamond, tiger eye are ok
moonstone, amber, labradorite will suffer.

you really should take off your rings when you wash hands with a harsh sanitizer, especially if it has a alcohol base.

MCsea

trismegistus said:
topaz, diamond, tiger eye are ok
moonstone, amber, labradorite will suffer.

you really should take off your rings when you wash hands with a harsh sanitizer, especially if it has a alcohol base.

I agree with trismegistus....

MARINA

Briar Rose

Be careful with all stones. Chemicals can pit Tigerseye.

And I have learned not to wear the same rings everyday because the surface of the stone can scratch, except for diamonds. All others scratch.

A new thing I've heard jewelers doing is plating Rhodium over 18K white gold. I haven't figured that one out yet, but it can still pit.

I am careful not to let any chemicals touch my loose Crystals. However, I use jewelry cleaner when I want to clean jewelry set stones and rinse them in plain water, no cloth and just air dry.

Papageno

HeavensVault said:
Be careful with all stones. Chemicals can pit Tigerseye.

And I have learned not to wear the same rings everyday because the surface of the stone can scratch, except for diamonds. All others scratch.

A new thing I've heard jewelers doing is plating Rhodium over 18K white gold. I haven't figured that one out yet, but it can still pit.

I am careful not to let any chemicals touch my loose Crystals. However, I use jewelry cleaner when I want to clean jewelry set stones and rinse them in plain water, no cloth and just air dry.

Rhodium plating isn't new. It's always been a standard procedure to give white gold a very bright white appearance. white gold in it's unplated form still retains a yellowish cast.

diamonds can chip, you'd be surprised and horrified. be careful wearing it every day.

jewellery cleaner can be dangerous. the best and safest is Dawn dishwashing liquid. seriously.

sonic cleaners should absolutely be avoided.

suebee

How about a steamer? Does it get too hot for stones?

Papageno

suebee said:
How about a steamer? Does it get too hot for stones?

yes

and the settings will expand and you'll lose the stone, provided your stone survives. the setting will also conduct the heat and transfer it to the stones.
the prong where the metal holds the stone will concentrate the heat and your stone can be ruined.

suebee

I wont be steaming then! I just remembered the jeweler using a steamer on my diamond rings. Thanks for the info!