Wisdom for healing cards by Caroline Myss

cherries

Can anyone shed any light on these cards? I bought them on Sunday on a whim but haven't opened them. Anyone else like them? I'm not sure if I should return them to Borders and save my money...

Glass Owl

I bought these cards on a half price sale awhile back and just opened them yesteryday. Overall, the theme of this deck seems to be about disease/illness and health (especially in regards to how diet affects the body).

The front side of the cards have a saying, an image, and a small number just above the saying. As the deck's booklet says: "The healing guidance on the front of each card is drawn from the scriptural writings and collective wisdom of the world's scriptural writing and collective wisdom of the world's spiritual traditions. These sources include Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism; as well as Native American, Shamanic, and New Age teachings."

The backs of each have a "a practical application" that relates to the statement on the front with a smaller version of the image that is on the front.

An examples:
Front of card 1: "God didn't create any illness without also creating the remedy." Image is of a castle in the clouds with a path of stones leading down to the land/water? which has a pile of stones on it.

Back of card 1: "Tody, view every experience as a blessing and a remedy that serves your well-being. Your healing path already exists within you." The castle and cloud motif is repeated.

To be honest, I could take or leave these cards. They just don't really appeal to me and I found some of the statements on them to be a bit narrow-minded and well, I just don't agree with some of them. In my opinion, that's the problem when you make statements that include words like "any" or "all." It excludes other possibilities and other opinions.

For instance, I think some people (particularly those faced with a terminal disease) could be misled by the statement in card 1, especially if they don't read the back of the card.

I also have problems with card 17: "All suffering stems from ignorance, hatred, and craving" as well as card 16: "The root cause of all disease is a negative attitude about taking care of yourself."

It may be important for some people to know that the deck does include other cards (besides card 1) that contain a reference to the word "God" or "The Divine." They are below:
Card 12: Forgiveness means more to God than sacrifice.
Card 39: God gives you only the present, moment by moment.
Card 23: The Divine dwells within you, and desires that you heal.

The booklet that comes with the deck contains some information and background for each card but it contains no spreads. There really isn't any direction on how to use the cards other than the suggestion to "shuffle the deck and pick one card to focus on for that day" when you wake up or "anytime you need healing guidance."

In conclusion, I wish these cards focused more on the healing of emotional pain and blockages. That is actually what I thought these cards were about. Unfortunately, I think far too many of the cards are about illness and recovery rather than "spiritual balance," which what the card box says the cards are supposed to be for. I think the word "health" would have been a more accurate choice there instead of "balance." The deck didn't speak of "balance" to me, particularly since some of the statements on them were so one-sided and didn't offer the counter to it. For example, there are times we have to fight and have hope, yes, but there are also times we have to be realistic and accept things too. That's part of growing, I think, to see the possibilities, the opposites, the grey area. That's how you can step in the shoes of others and see the bigger picture. That can lead to compassion and humility.

In addition, I wish these cards had the same backs so they could be used in a spread of some kind--the "applications" could have just been placed in the booklet.

I still really like my Archetype cards so I guess it is all good. :)

cherries

hi glass owl. thank you for your review. i wrote a long reply but the server went down momentarily, and i lost it.

i do agree that some of the messages on the cards seem inappropriate .

also, i was drawn to them for emotional healing, so you really did help me make my mind up to return them.

thank you again for saving me from having to open the packet!