having a conversation with your Tarot, anthropomorphism or what?

nelsleep

Hi (Mods if this isn't in the best forum for it's topic, sorry as I wasn't sure where it should go!)

Has anyone tried/or found themselves having a conversation with their deck? I mean like asking questions that you swear the card you pull has just answered you like another personality talking back? I know I sound crazy but it happens to me quite a lot when I pull one two or three card draws! For example, what got me thinking about the conversation with your Tarot thread was the other day I had the unfortunate experience of being present at the death of a beautiful cattle beast being home killed, as a non-meat eater it was hard, but as my family all eat meat and we live on a farm it is sort of a fact of life. Anyway I wanted to sort of 'cleanse' the area afterwards, in fact had a great urgent need to do this so thought I'd best follow my instinct. I used water of course, lots of it and also toning with a bell and some white sage. (I felt the whole density of the environment lift as I performed this ritual and also the other cattle right in the pen next door who had been going mad from the smell of blood, fell quiet as I performed the clearing) Anyway I went to my room after that and (had a big cry) and then took out my Tarot cards and asked "Did I do ok by this animal in my home made ritual?" I pulled out an Ace of Swords... The 'Ace' word jumped out at me in my minds eye and I felt that was my answer. There have been other times when I have felt like the Tarot is like a close friend with a word or two to say, just hope Tarot doesn't point too many of my flaws at once!

Akatala

Yep. I've heard of this. My cards do that alot, actually. I encourage them to do so as it seems to make reading so much easier. As my relationship with my main deck grows, the voices of the cards seem to get louder and more often heard.

I've also watch cards take on personalities and interact with me in a couple of dreams lately.

Vadella

I'm surprised barely anyone has answered this unless it's been discussed a lot previously before. I talk to my deck all the time. Sometimes I get mad at it and yell... but then I give it a make up kiss. lol But seriously, that's how I read tarot. I'll give you an example... (don't analyze the example lol)

"What is coming up for me?"

-tower-

"Well, what exactly is that about?"

-ace wands-

"and who is going to do this?"

-knight Pentacles-

"how is he going to do this?"

-6 pentacles-

"oh no way man! Seriously, what is the point of that?"

-Empress-

I won't continue but you get my drift... and I will flip flop back from the front to back whichever way I feel directed. I read very strangely. ;) My cards love me though.

xx
vad

RubyRuby

It's only happened once and it was a full blown, knock 'em down argument. OK, it was one sided, but still.

I don't remember what it was about (It was in the beginning, before I kept journals), but I remember that it seemed ridiculous, and I shuffled the cards just to get out of it (Yup, I tried to walk away and get the last word at the same time), and the cards kicked me in my butt.

seaweed

Oh, so many (((hugs))) and so much empathy, nelsleep! That must have been *horrible* for you. Vegetarianism seems to super sensitize a person *so* much and leaves you so open for all of your own feelings plus all of the instant empathy with the souls around you, esp. your friend who lost it's life to feed your family. (I imagine it must be extra hard having continuing contact with in your fridge and freezer.) Being sensitive just opens you up for a lot--so tons and tons of hugs again!

Yeah, I'd say it's normal--and really good--to have conversations with your cards. Numerous schools of thought on it, but being so in tune with your cards that you can comfortably converse, and they give you what you need back, is a very good thing. I like to sit down with my cards and a cup of tea and make like I'm sitting with my absolute dearest friend--she's wise, supportive, doesn't judge, doesn't pull punches, gives me space to do my own thing and will still put in her two cents when she sees fit. So instead of the cards being a tool, it's like having a nice conversation with all that is. Sometimes the imput is cheeky, or seeminly non-sensical, or funny, but the cards tend to give me a little heads-up where I need to pay extra attention.

I'd say your a very lucky soul to have such an open relationship with your cards and be so very, very strong to be able to handle your sensitivity so well (esp. in a family of meat-eaters...Although I don't live on a farm, I'm a long-time vegetarian myself. :) )

Take Care, nelsleep!

ana luisa

I guess, it´s much more common than we think. I don´t actually talk to the tarot but to the court cards in them. For some reason, the people in the Druidcraft seem like they like to engage in conversation. They´re fun people, they make remarks and give advice. Usually tough, rough and to the point, but always very useful and welcome. And you thought YOU were losing it...

Wandlimb

Vadella said:
I'm surprised barely anyone has answered this unless it's been discussed a lot previously before. I talk to my deck all the time. Sometimes I get mad at it and yell... but then I give it a make up kiss. lol But seriously, that's how I read tarot. I'll give you an example... (don't analyze the example lol)

"What is coming up for me?"

-tower-

"Well, what exactly is that about?"

-ace wands-

"and who is going to do this?"

-knight Pentacles-

"how is he going to do this?"

-6 pentacles-

"oh no way man! Seriously, what is the point of that?"

-Empress-

I won't continue but you get my drift... and I will flip flop back from the front to back whichever way I feel directed. I read very strangely. ;) My cards love me though.

Boy am I glad to hear this. I thought it was just me!

Piper

I don't think I've gotten to a point where I can talk to my cards yet. Maybe with my Robin wood I'll be able to.

Arania

I'm trtying to avoid it, because the cards would inevitably all get their own spirits permanently attached to them, and I have enough spirits around me already :eek:) But it happens every now and then.

nelsleep

Ta,

Thanks guys,

I don't ever want to seem judgemental about my non-meat eating as it is a free-choice world, but in a family of meat-eaters and all boys they think it's WEIRD! I even cook meat most days for them and yes it is hard, but I think about the waste of the life it would be and am really strict about them eating it ALL UP!
Any way, I am going to enjoy the odd personal word from my deck now that I've discovered that the deck is such a personal entity -perhaps I'll get a Druidcraft deck as that sounds fun. If they get too cheeky I'll put them in the cupboard, ha!