Another resource on reading Saturn?

seaweed

Hi everybody,

I've just been reading Liz Greene's "Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil"...it seems incisive, but a bit nihilistic. I respect her knowlege, but I wonder if anyone knows of another good resouce, maybe one that offers more uplifting/constructive suggestions for working with Saturn in all it's houses, signs and aspects to read along with this book?

So much thanks!

isthmus nekoi

I find the vast majority of modern astro writing on Saturn to be culturally biased. and full of very simplified assumptions about free will. The only book I can think of that isn't so dogmatic is Steven Arroyo's book, forget the title... Karma, Astro & Transformation - something like that. I read it awhile back, but remember thinking described some classically challenging aspects very well.

Personally, the #1 thing I did to learn about Saturn was to read charts instead of books. You'll find that most people do not have a total psychological meltdown during their Saturn returns etc the way most books make it out to be.

Belatrix

The school of hard knocks

I agree with this.For instance,antient astrologers thought that 8th house Saturn means horrible death.Can we find such a thought in astrology books that are published today?Of course not.Who would want to hear such a thing?Such books would be prohibited soon,and even if not,nobody would buy them for sure.And when nobody buys,then no money comes.
We can use books as a kind of basic guide,a kind of initiation thing.The rest we might learn from very alive examples.It would be good if things could be learned only from books.We can always check if astrology works,or not in real life pulsing arround us.That is the hardest challenge,saturnian challenge-but the best school for sure.

star-lover

isthmus nekoi said:
I find the vast majority of modern astro writing on Saturn to be culturally biased. and full of very simplified assumptions about free will. The only book I can think of that isn't so dogmatic is Steven Arroyo's book, forget the title... Karma, Astro & Transformation - something like that. I read it awhile back, but remember thinking described some classically challenging aspects very well.

Personally, the #1 thing I did to learn about Saturn was to read charts instead of books. You'll find that most people do not have a total psychological meltdown during their Saturn returns etc the way most books make it out to be.

i think the people who have this kind of meltdown are ones that have harsh/challenging personal saturn aspects in their natal chart like sun square saturn moon square saturn etc - i have sun square saturn and saturn was in the suns 5th house at birth too and my first saturn return was horrid, just plain horrid lol - wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy

i have that book by stephen arroyo and its brilliant - its one of those books where the pages are coming off the spine because its been read so much lol - you can buy it on amazon or get it on hire in your local library

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astrology-K...ef=sr_1_1/203-3356961-8555946?ie=UTF8&s=books

liz greene has always been a bit too heavy for me though she speaks so many truths - i really respect her writings but yeah would love a more light hearted look at saturn - after all our greatest teacher must have a sense of humour and our best interests at heart xx

MCsea

star-lover said:
i think the people who have this kind of meltdown are ones that have harsh/challenging personal saturn aspects in their natal chart like sun square saturn moon square saturn etc - i have sun square saturn and saturn was in the suns 5th house at birth too and my first saturn return was horrid, just plain horrid lol - wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy

I agree -
IMHO I always wish to say to people when they look at Saturn to look at the complete picture, there are people who hardly notice a transit or square and others who really DO nearly die - I am a 'classic' example - Taurus saturn retograde 12th house square uranus etc etc.... I nearly died.. ( no NOT looking forward to my second saturn return)

I agree look at charts but please dont dismiss Saturn due to personal experience, and equally indeed dont swipe it with the too hard brush either..

Thank you for the heads up on the stephen arroyo book too!

MARINA

paradoxx

Saturn transit and retrograde over my sun reversed my personal financial situation for about 7 months, half a year is a good window to see saturns immediete effects, but right now the lord of time is squaring the north (and south) node in pisces and libra.

Fulgour

The Grandmother of our Solar System

I would be very willing to make myself available
as an alternative "book" on the planet Saturn...
my views are generally dismissed as unfounded,
and yet I feel a deep, living relationship to Her.

star-lover

Fulgour said:
I would be very willing to make myself available
as an alternative "book" on the planet Saturn...
my views are generally dismissed as unfounded,
and yet I feel a deep, living relationship to Her.

thats very interesting saturn and grandmother - soft side to the harshness that can be
thanks for that
feel better now
xxx

Fulgour

Balanced Harmony

ARIES has the exaltation of the SUN >< SATURN exalts in LIBRA

Of all the traditional Planets, they are the only 2 Yang engergies

The Lunar Nodes exalt in Gemini & Sagittarius~ they're pinpoints

SATURN is the Planet that keeps an eye on the powerful SUN ;)

isthmus nekoi

more resources

star-lover said:

I would agree in principle but again, I've seen people defy this thinking so I think of it as a rule of thumb. Which is good b/c I have Saturn square my sun too lol! paradoxx is right to look at past Saturn transits to understand how the energy plays out via transits in a personal way. For example, one thing Saturn does to me is affect my dream life. So my past Saturn-Saturn transits have coincided w/really powerful dreams, Saturn opposing natal Neptune was a period where dreams were really brief (or I couldn't remember) etc. You don't read stuff like that in the books!

I think another reason we find modern astrology tending towards negative psychological interpretations is b/c the people drawn into the field these days are not interested in statistics or mundane astrology. They're people with problems, looking for answers. And most practicing astrologers are not advising politicians and the like, they're getting querents with issues regarding relationships, health and money. So I think the writing gets skewed towards those who are trying to find meaning for negative life experiences. Not everyone is like this of course but I think older, well researched and balanced texts could serve as a refreshing alternative. Writers that come to mind are Reinhold Ebertin and William Lilly. They aren't going to give you a rosy picture of Saturn and they're very culturally biased, but they lack the hysteria and psuedopsychology that often comes with modern texts.

Fulgour raises a good point - if one is willing to study Saturn outside traditional astrology, then you can find a real depth of meaning in more esoteric writing. Studying the Qabalah and tarot is a great place to get a whole new perspective on the planets.