Growing Crystal Mystery?

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, I at one point had an amethyst crystal sitting next to a Citrine crystal for awhile, one day I noticed the citrine was starting to turn purple, I left it there for a few months, and then a half an area of the citrine was now almost totally purple. I am stumped, has anyone have had this happen to them, a growing crystal? Just looking for your thoughts.

Serpenta

crystalwoman

Citrine is amethyst that has changed color to yellow after being heated. Amethyst gets most of it's purple color from manganese that spreads like a water-wash through the quartz. It's possible that your citrine still had some particles of manganese embedded within it and when you placed it near the amethyst, the vibrational energies of the amethyst triggered the remaining manganese in the citrine to spread through part of the stone.

There is one other possible explanation. Iron or chalcopyrite are other minerals that can give amethyst some of it's purple color. If your citrine had particles of iron or chalcopyrite in it and there was any dampness in the air, or if you soaked your citrine in water, that also can cause the iron/chalcopyrite to disperse some of it's color through the quartz.

If your citrine is now part yellow and part violet it is no longer a citrine, it is now an ametrine.

SerpentaAzothi

Hi Crystal, wow thats very interesting, I will have to check up on that, unfortunatly the ameythst crystal is gone, I traded it. Thanks for you two theories, they are good to know. Thanks :)

Serpenta