decks by famous artists?

Horace

This really isn't about a specific deck, but if it should be in the decks forum please don't hesitate.

I was just wondering if there were any decks made by famous artists already known for their work? Like a deck made by Jackson Pollack, or Grandma Moses or Andy Warhol?

Or what about about a deck of already painted art? Like one with the Mona Lisa as the HP or 'the Thinker as the 9 of swords or something?
just curious...thanks:) Hh

HarleyQuinnX

I know that there is a Salvador Dali tarot and a Leonardo da Vinci tarot. Both use the works of their respective artists, although the Dali tarot is not only Dali's work. I hope that helps some.

Adam McLean

The Dali Tarot is entirely Dali's work. It is collage with painting.

There are many 20th century artists (established outside
the narrow world of tarot) who have created tarot decks.

Dave McKean, Fergus Hall, Frederic Poulat, Giger,
Gentilini, Caren Carraway, Louttre B, Gianni Novak, F'Murr,
Wollenhaupt-Brenner, to name but a few among many,
all better known for their artwork outside tarot than for
their tarot designs.

Elven

Toni Carmine Salerno - a well known Australian Artist who has his own gallery ~ Blue Angel Gallery in Melbourne, ~ has produced many decks based form his stunning artwork.

Brian Froud is another outstanding artist and has worked on illustrated book with the likes of Alan Lee (Tolkien conceptual artist)

I emailed Patrick Woodroffe about 6 months back and asked could he see himself at any time considering a Tarot or Oracle deck ... but :( he replied saying he was too busy :( at the present, and couldn't see it happening *Elven wrings out hankie of tears ;)*

:party:

baba-prague

I think I'd include Frantisek Storm in that list. He is a well-known typographer rather than an artist, but I take it that we're including artists, illustrators and designers here?

Jewel

Black Tarot by Luis Royo.

Wisdom Faerie Deck - Amy Brown (more of an oracle than a true tarot deck).

baba-prague

Maybe it's a bit pendantic, but I'd also just point out that there is a difference between an artist making a deck, and a deck that someone else (well, or the artist themselves) makes using already-existing images. As I understand it, both the Froud and the Amy Brown oracles were made up out of existing images - the artist did not set out to make a tarot - or oracle - deck when they did those pictures.

So I'm not sure I'd say our Fantastic Menagerie, for instance, is a case of a deck BY Grandville. It's more a case of a deck made from the artist's existing work.

Papageno

HA!!!! just thinking to myself..........can you imagine if there were a tarot by Pollack :joke: