A question of losing a deck and confidence

gwillgi

Hi all. I should post in the newbie section, but I thought I'll ask my question right here first.

I have used tarot for over three years off and on now. Frankly, I sort of used it a lot when I first started and after that, whenever there is a crisis that needed me to divorce my 'logical' yet over-analysing thinking. In other words, I don't do tarot often.

Usually my readings- when I do make them- are for people who request for one, close friends and such. I usually use the Universal Rider-Waite deck, though I have used the Renaissance deck with similar success. I am bad at interpreting the minuscule meanings in a card but always the spread will give me a good indication of the general mood of the question. From there on, the querant and I will work together towards filling in the blanks.

Middle of this year, I lost the Universal Rider-Waite deck at work; I was trying to do a reading for a troubled colleague. Since then, I got myself another R-W deck though this time was the Original R-W deck. I decided I hated the quality and print and somehow, the one and last time I used that deck, it turned out dismally inaccurate. In fact, I was seeing a blank screen throughout. My querant was dismissive, in a polite manner, but that was it.

Now it's like a bit of a slight dread to pick up a deck again, though I thought I should which is why I joined this forum- but I would like to know what you seasoned and professional readers think; was it the deck or the confidence or both that got lost that day?

Thanks for the attention, y'all!

HudsonGray

It sounds like it was pretty much all tied in with the fact you didn't like the artwork on the deck. It's hard to get a good ebb and flow with a deck you don't 'like' and that'll be enough to throw off readings for you.

Trade out the deck with someone else (you can do it on the boards here) and get yourself a deck you like much better. I think that will make all the difference.

ARudhra

oh, be not afraid and spooked

Hi gwillgi~

Heck no, you need not lurk around wondering about whether or not to read Tarot, I say you should

Read Tarot!

And by gosh absolutely you need not wonder about a new deck, I say you should

Buy a New Deck!

Try the Fey Tarot, the Aquarian Tarot, the Connolly Tarot, the Llewellyn Tarot, anything that makes you feel upbeat and light again. A nice deck, a deck with good feeling!

I say you need a new deck and some confidence, so allow me to supply what lacks for the moment:

Gwillgi, you have confidence, want to read Tarot, and will soon have a new deck which you love!

Way to go, gwillgi, you are out of the woods~ Have fun!

Grizabella

There's a really nice new version of the Universal Waite tarot now----the pocket size version. You might get one of those and just go ahead and get back into the swing of reading. If you don't want the small pocket size, why not get another full size Universal Waite if that's what you're used to reading with? You can order anything you want online from Tarot Garden or Amazon or any of a number of other places online if you can't find it in your area stores. :)

Brigantia

gwillgi said:
Now it's like a bit of a slight dread to pick up a deck again, though I thought I should which is why I joined this forum- but I would like to know what you seasoned and professional readers think; was it the deck or the confidence or both that got lost that day?
Thanks for the attention, y'all!

Lots of things affect our ability to consistently read well. It could have been you didn't feel a connection with the cards or with the sitter. It could have just been an off day. We all have them. Getting back on the horse, so to speak, will probably give you your confidence back.

I don't like the original R-W either. I prefer the Universal Waite.

Abrac

I'm a firm believer in whatever deck you learned to read with will be the one you are the most comfortable with, especially if it is the one you use most of the time. When you used the Original Rider Waite it was like starting over and trying to read a language you did not understand. This is probably why you got a blank screen. Even though it is a Waite/Smith deck, it is quite different from the Universal Waite. You could probably learn to read with it given time, but if you don't like it you'll toss it out first (as it sounds you have already done).

I doubt you have lost any of your ability. If your native language is English and someone hands you something to read in Spanish - a language you can neither read nor write - you wouldn't stop believing you in your ability to read.

I would simply get another Universal Waite like the one you had before if possible. If not, then try to find one you like and use it until it begins to speak to you.

ARudhra

so true

Well, since we're having so many comments about it, I might as well reveal that

my favorite deck is the Universal Waite, too. It's pretty hard not to like.

gwillgi

Thanks for all your responses. I've actually got myself a new deck; the Robin Wood deck from my local Borders here. Pity they seem to be out of the Universal Rider-Waite - will wait for that before the month ends.

Actually I do have other decks in my collection: the Renaissance Tarot, the Ancient Tarots of Lombardy; the Light and Shadow Tarot (which was my first deck); the Tarot of the Master. I have used some of them one time of another, but I mostly rely on my trusty Rider-Waite.

Grizabella

The Robin Wood is a great deck. I hope you'll enjoy it. :) Let us know how it goes, will you?

gwillgi

Yes, it does look very good. I also like the fact it was the Horned Man that depicts the Magician and the use of chains to show The Devil and not the image of the Baphomet. Only thing is that the elements of the suits are so well portrayed, it will be a wee bit hard for me to follow my correspondence of staves for air and swords for fire.