Advancing Personal Reading Skill

Gnarly

Years and years ago my mom was with her boyfriend. They went to get a reading together and the reader went on to say that he had one child.
"Yeah, I know. He has two." says my mom.
"One isn't his."
My mom figured this was a load of it. But years later, after they were no longer dating, her boyfriend told her the reader was right, it was just a fact that he didn't tell anyone.

Now this reader obviously was someone who had been reading for years upon years. And I am new to tarot, so when I do my readings, they're fairly short. Sometimes I completely do not get a certain card. I've already done enough to know that I'm not terrible, what I can get out of my readings is pretty acurate.

However:

I want to know where you guys learned how to read tarot. I learned reading The Idiots Guide To Tarot. I know it sounds rather onofficial, but I learned a lot. It was really good, but I'm looking for something more, something to help me interpret my readings better. Hopefully I could do this using something from the computer (Books are expensive!), but I'd like to know what kind of experiences and/or books/computer reading could help me in furthering my tarot ability.

-G

Grizabella

This tarot forum is probably the very best resource you'll find on the internet. I've learned more here than I could have learned from any book or other internet website.

Also, practicing reading for others and keeping notes to track your readings over time is an excellent way to improve your skills.

koulla

Gnarly said:
Years and years ago my mom was with her boyfriend. They went to get a reading together and the reader went on to say that he had one child.
"Yeah, I know. He has two." says my mom.
"One isn't his."
My mom figured this was a load of it. But years later, after they were no longer dating, her boyfriend told her the reader was right, it was just a fact that he didn't tell anyone.

Now this reader obviously was someone who had been reading for years upon years. And I am new to tarot, so when I do my readings, they're fairly short. Sometimes I completely do not get a certain card. I've already done enough to know that I'm not terrible, what I can get out of my readings is pretty acurate.

However:

I want to know where you guys learned how to read tarot. I learned reading The Idiots Guide To Tarot. I know it sounds rather onofficial, but I learned a lot. It was really good, but I'm looking for something more, something to help me interpret my readings better. Hopefully I could do this using something from the computer (Books are expensive!), but I'd like to know what kind of experiences and/or books/computer reading could help me in furthering my tarot ability.

-G
You are in the right place right now to learn and study the tarot, use the AT's vast resourses, and read all Thirteen's posts, she rocks, you will learn a lot from her alone, good luck

Amaris

The others are right -- this is a great place to learn. If you're the kind of person who wants something systematic and enjoys exercises, you might check out Joan Bunning's Online Course. I did exercise 1.2 for every card in the deck and it really helped me open up my intuition and relate my own thoughts to book meanings. She also has what seems to be a really good section on learning the Celtic Cross (I haven't worked through it yet, I've only read it).

zach bender

I don't think you should expect necessarily to become able to "read tarot" to tell a complete stranger that someone else's child is not his. If a person has that kind of ability, tarot is merely a sketchpad.

zb

Piper

The best way to learn how to read for others is to just do it. As soon as you get up to I believe 25 posts and 1 week of membership, you'll be able to go into the readings exchange forum. There are a few wonderful reading circles there where we exchange readings and get feedback.

MeeWah

Gnarly: Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot!

Practice, practice & more practice :)

That not only develops awareness, but helps to hone the skills since one draws upon not only the cards, but from the well of life experiences & observations. A very long time ago, before ever acquiring Tarot cards, I leaped into doing readings. Even then, cognizant of both the learning & the responsibility involved in reading. & made a life commitment to the process. & continue to learn whilst reading, too, because the learning process never stops & each reading can teach. In a sense, we all students of life & life teaches as well as the cards--& more so.

Zach bender indeed correct. The cards themselves do not necessarily provide the detailed nor exact information cited in your example. That of the particular reader's own ability.

Aeclectic Tarot a priceless resource for learning & sharing. & to find companionship along that journey.

That your inquiring mind finds its way here not a coincidence.

Silaria

The primary way to improve your skills is through practice, practice, practice. Read for yourself (short 3 card daily draws) and for others. Record what you reading in a journal.

Some books will help improve your understanding of some of the more difficult topics such as Reversals (if you want to include them) and the Court Cards. Some information on Numerology can't hurt you either. Unfortunately, most of the books out there are "Tarot 101" and rehash the same information over and over again.

I know you mentioned that you'd prefer online books, but there is 1 book I believe you should save your money for and invest in: 78 Degrees of Wisdom, by Rachel Pollack. (Sometimes this book shows up in the Tarot Trading section of the forums also.) While this book doesn't necessarily teach you HOW to read, it does provide some fascinating incite on the various cards.

tmgrl2

Welcome, Gnarly!!!

Ditto to suggestions so far....check out the contents at the beginnings of separate Forums...different takes on cards...go to home page and download and/or read Thirteen's takes on the cards....

I loved Mary Greer's Tarot for YourSelf

But mostly, practice, practice, practice!!

Sounds as if you thinking along lines of "divinatory/predictive" use of cards....may find as you go through these threads, that you will broaden your prospective as to how and why you read for others.

Also, I highly recommend reading Umbrae's Process Threads:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=10772

There are many books available, but rather than try to memorize too much...good idea to do lots of readings, short ones, one or two cards at first....for yourself, for people you know, here online in Reading Exchanges....

Go for it! And again, welcome!

terri