Decans

Belatrix

In this discussion related to cusps(and related to everything what Dave just said about cusps and signs),maybe it is the right moment to say something about decans.How do they fit into all this?
Basicly,each sign has three decans,and each decan contains 10 degrees.It is said that first decans of any sign,are places where influence of any of those signs is the strongest(Example-In first 10 degrees of sign Virgo,the influence of that sign is be the strongest.Next two decans are ruled by next two signs ruled by the same element.In this case in the second decan will be rulled by Capricorn,and the third decan will be ruled by sign Taurus.).
How true this is?
Now we really have a lot of details,but at the same time,a position of any planet or personal point in a chart can be modified(to better or worse),depending on a position in decans.
According to this rule,the first decan of any sign is the place where the purity of that sign is the most intense.This can show us the connection with houses,where cusps(and first degrees)of any house is the place where signs or planets have the strongest influence(Example-ascedant,the cusp of first house).

Fulgour

Orient = Horizon

The system which uses the 3 signs of each element
for each decan, in anti-clockwise order from the sign
to be considered, is often called the Oriental system,
with orient here meaning horizon~ what's up ahead.

But, consider how the "qualities" of the signs are thus
mixed up, not being in order of Cardinal-Fixed-Mutable.

Aries: Aries Leo Sagittarius
Taurus: Taurus Virgo Capricorn
Gemini: Gemini Libra Aquarius
Cancer: Cancer Scorpio Pisces
etc.

So we see the Cardinal signs are naturally ordered,
but Fixed and Mutable follow a confused progress.

I think the decans in each sign follow the energy of the
qualities of the signs as a whole: Cardinal-Fixed-Mutable.

1st ten degrees = Cardinal
2nd ten dgrees = Fixed
3rd ten degrees = Mutable

And so on through all the signs, if viewed by decans.

dadsnook2000

Perhaps . . .

Perhaps decans fall into the same category as exaltations and detriments in that they were useful tools way back when astrologers only had Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn to place into a chart. Being able to add shades of meaning to "where a planet was within a sign", along with Parts of Fortune, etc. gave them more to consider and to use. A lot of these conventions came into use hundreds of years ago before reliable ephemerids and calculation tools came into existence.

I don't use decans myself, or detriments and exaltations, and make only a limited use of signs. I'll leave further comments to those that do use these tools. Dave

Fulgour

Ancient Music

My approach to learning Astology was to research
every area of interest, investigate every possibility,
follow my own questions through thick and thin...
and then drop it all and play it by ear ~ intuitively!

Astological interpretations are subjective viewpoints
and each person is free to discover for themselves
what works and what is merely other people's ideas.

If I have a really difficult question, I travel back to
the days before recorded time, and party with the
earthlings who lived and thought with no old rules~
the sun moon and stars speak clearly on their own.

dadsnook2000

Yes, Fulgour

I agree. Study and use everything. Throw out what doesn't work. Use your head and intuition. Always seek to understand the basics very, very well.

For those really interested in learning Astrology I would recommend Ebertin's CSI (the Combination of Stellar Influences). This is a "must have" for any serious student and/or professional. While the focus of the book is on mid-point interpretations, the book clearly defines the role and meanings of planets in the chart without ambiguous influences of signs, houses, aspects and other stuff.

The book is almost "universal" in that it can be used with almost any technique of chart work and interpretation. As a "tool" it stands alone from other books. Dave