The engine from a jet passing over head

Red Emma

The 10 of Swords, which came up yesterday, I consider the worst card in the deck. When it appears I tend to watch for engines from passing jets dropping on the house. But yesterday, there I was watching a TV program while I ate my lunch. My husband came along, picked up the remote and switched it to one of his programs! Then settled down to enjoy himself!!!

Well, actually, it created a row which went on for a while. He slammed out of the house and was gone for several hours. He came back late in the afternoon. It took a while for peace to descend.

I'd almost prefer the engine from a passing jet. But it'd make a real mess, and without a roof, be cold this time of year.

Okay, there really is a question here. Does the 10 S more frequently speak to emotional-relationship issues than a physical occurrance? It seems to me that emotional-relationship stuff would tend to come under the jurisdiction of Cups or maybe Pentacles.

ana luisa

hi Red Emma,

It´s a shame you don´t like this card. In fact, it is a bit scary but, just like you, it mostly relates to emotional issues and drastic ones as well. I decided to face this card as "the end of a terrible ordeal" for it is not only the last of the swords but also, when I started analysing it more in depth, I was using the Gilded and it shows a light around the man on the floor and a peace about it that translated like "it´s over now, you may rest". As far as swords X cups in terms of emotional issues, how can you be more emotional than a three of swords? I don´t quite embrace this intellectual, thinking bit about the Swords that much. In fact, Swords to me mean the more drastic, outburst-type emotional issues the ones that "cut" and "hurt" while the Cups stand for a more cozy feeling, nurturing, being in love feel.

Does it make ANY sense?

Esee

yes now it does

ana luisa said:
hi Red Emma,
In fact, Swords to me mean the more drastic, outburst-type emotional issues the ones that "cut" and "hurt" while the Cups stand for a more cozy feeling, nurturing, being in love feel.
Does it make ANY sense?

I been working with the Crystal Tarot and have found this to be true with this deck for me. Like when an outburst happens, my mind say be reasonable, but my emotions rule my mind, moving my mouth.

Emotions, after all are part of the mind, aren't they?
Does that make any sense???

Sedi

I tend to focus on the aspects of betrayal (actual or potiential - to watch their backs). Different areas could be betrayed - a confidence, an agreement, a relationship, loyalty to a point of view or cause - even common sense. I agree it is almost always emotional.

Sometimes it could be advising that you need to cover all the bases even at the end - as the I Ching says, as much attention needs to be paid to the end as to the beginning. Don't leave yourself open.

MeeWah

Red Emma: The emotional aspect of a relationship of Cups territory, & to generally refer to those associations/attachments of the heart. Those instances where the heart & altruistic rule, not the intellect nor other influence.

Pentacles of the manifest, material effects. The apparent conditions of a relationship as related to its 'health'--solidity, security, & longevity. Since none of those apparently an issue, no Pentacles appear.

Based on Swords associated with Air or the mental realm, Swords expressive of perceptions, thoughts, understandings applied to or arising from a relationship. Also the conflictual to the arguments.

Within the context of what seems to be a daily card (& not a reading on what transpired), 10-Swords to relate to & describe the experiences of that day; according to that observed & perceived.

Moreover, 10-Swords to also describe the development of a situation within
the relationship. Thus, tends *to include & refer to those underlying conditions or influences over time--due its aspect as 10-Wheel of Fortune--that contributed to reaching that intensity or culmination of 10. & if a daily card, then of the precognitive or even a warning.

As further explanation, the progression from Ace-Swords, which presages or marks the beginning (of the conflictual) to the culmination of 10-Swords:

From Ace, it progresses to 2-Swords, where one observes & notes the experiences as for future reference. Such experiences may be relatively new in the relationship, so though of some discomfort, a willingness to reserve teh judgement (as for some later time).

From 2-Swords to 3-Swords, where the equilibrium upset by a larger
disappointment &/or a sense of betrayal. A realization of the offensive &/or the painful of the in-thy-face variety.

From 3-Swords to 4-Swords, the attempt to understand, pick up the pieces, make peace &/or retreat to recover.

From 4-Swords to 5-Swords, where one aroused (again) to the conflictual. The further incursions on thy person like 'border skirmishes'; of more frequent occasions & leaveth one wary.

From 5-Swords to 6-Swords, the need to distance the self &/or to agree to disagree. & perhaps to still move forward.

From 6-Swords to 7-Swords, which entails the skillful manuevering around the not quite avoidable/escapable hostility. Striving against the odds.

From 7-Swords to 8-Swords, where one requires all the knowledge available to find a way out of apparent impasse & still retain one's sense of self & perspective.

From 8-Swords to 9-Swords, the mental anguish & self-defensive. Continued attempts for self knowledge &/or resolution.

From 9-Swords to 10-Swords, the proverbial 'straw that breaks the camel's back'. The zenith of arguments. Expressive of the utter thoughtlessness visited upon one. One would think after all this time, the more things change or despite the life changes, things would not remain so much the same. As is written, 'all things pass'. & tomorrow another day.

The emotions indeed related to Cups; however, at any one time, more than just the emotions contribute to the status of a relationship.

Composed, too, of the inspirational, the motivating--that of Wands. Wands expressive of the principle or value of a concept/thing. Such as belief based on a value system. Anger or righteous indignation more of Wands territory. Swords also reflective of principle; however, more of the abstract concept & the intellectual reaction; that related to communications. Encompasses conflicts; frustrations; stresses on the mental level. Which in turn, impact the personal position & the sense of self in relation to the other party. So whilst Cups could appear (& as the experience 'settles'), the larger influence that of communication on the basis of principle & understanding of principle. With 'communication' in this instance the argument.

Red Emma

Jet engines

Thanks to you all, I really learned from this experience. I guess I've been thinking that swords dealt with intellect in a pretty emotionless fashion.

As always, MeeWah's posting kind of summed up the notes from everyone and took us one (or more) steps further.

Happy holidays to you all.

Emma