Can the cards represent people's appearances

rosemaryh

I was wondering if the cards can describe people's appearances.
I know the court cards can do that. but how about the majors and minors ?
Does the four suits show the character of a person? can someone talk about this ?

Babylon_Jasmine

The cards are more likely to describe a person's personality than their appearance in my experience. Are you trying to do a reading to help you visually recognize a person you feel you are meant to interact with?

rosemaryh

I mean that we have a lot of chance now to meet people on line, and we have no idea about their appearances at all. So I am curious can Tarot shows some infos about this. Just wondering~

Papageno

personally I've never experienced a reading of that nature.
not saying it isn't possible but somehow it seems unlikely.

why not do a reading and ask if the person in question is being truthful or not about his/her description. that would also reveal something about the nature of their character.

Daizdy

I have often wondered about this also, Rosemaryh. I tend to think that the cards often tell what physical impression we get of someone or that someone gets of us rather than physical features. I'm not sure if I'm conveying my thought clearly or correctly. For example, I've pulled cards such as, the Sun reversed which i took to mean the person coming into my life might be black, asian, middle-eastern. Other cards i've drawn on physical appearance have been, five pentacles which might mean a person is frail looking or does not look healthy. High Priestess which might mean the person has a mysterious, exotic look about them. Nine Cups, someone who might be overweight or have a very jovial look about them. Empress, a motherly or ample woman. So, although the cards might not always describe specific physical characteristics, they often describe the physical "impression" we get of that person.

If I describe someone as having a very respectable look or business-like , or if a person has a very trashy look or they look like an outgoing person, what physical appearance would you imagine for them?

Many times a person's personality doesn't fit their look. For instance, I attended a meeting some years ago and while in a conference room full of people I'd never met, I noticed a very beautiful woman, very refined looking, very elegant looking. Later in the evening I met her and was shocked to discover she was completely opposite of what her physical appearance had spoken to me earlier.

Anyhow, I hope all this rambling made some sense :)

Debra

When I first started reading cards I used the book by Waite for the Rider-Waite-Smith deck--it refers to physical descriptions a lot (pentacles are dark, cups are blonde, etc.) and suggests that you choose a significator based on appearance. So I was a page of cups--a fair-haired young woman--for many years. But tempermentally, I've NEVER been a page of cups. So I say--forget physical appearance. Certainly age and gender may be indicated by court cards, but blonde, green-eyed, etc? Not in my experience. I was so happy when I finally THREW AWAY that book!

Babylon_Jasmine

Waite put a lot of misinformation in his book to misguide those who he felt were not worthy to know the truth. I agree with the erlier poster that it might be better to do a reading on the person's truthfulness about thier appearance, rather than their appearance itself.

Debra

Babylon_Jasmine said:
Waite put a lot of misinformation in his book to misguide those who he felt were not worthy to know the truth.

Thanks! Funny, I just finished reading Paul Foster Case (from BOTA) The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages (1947). He's pretty direct about Waite...but his book is also filled with allusions to the "higher mysteries" etc etc yadda yadda. (Ahem.) Not my style. ;)