Misprint vs defective?

Ilithiya

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUST-SEE-Llewel...QQihZ017QQcategoryZ102521QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sorry if someone else has posted this already...

...but when since when does a defective book constitute an item worth collecting?

Maybe I'm just cynical or bigoted, but this book isn't special, it isn't collectible, it's nothing worth collecting. It's merely the product of a defect in the collating and binding process.

Honestly, it makes the book relatively worthless, especially in the cases of the missing pages. It's not unlike claiming that a dictionary that's missing sections is collectible or unique - it's still worthless.

Agreements? Disagreements? I'd love to hear opinions.

RaeBelle

Honestly, I don't think it's a collectors item. Maybe if it was a limited edition, it might have a slight added value. But a book missing pages, that doesn't sound like it's worth anything at all to me.

Miren

Unless people will be willing to buy it, it's not valuable. Basically. Like Beanie Babies are cheap to make, but then people wanted them so they became valuable.

I would say that this is a defective book. They probably got a replacement from Llewellyn, which is why they could sell it. And I really really really doubt that anyone will care to buy it. Granted, it's for the Llewellyn tarot, but I mean, if my psychology textbook has a repeated or missing page...I really doubt people are going to be offering me money for it.

SunChariot

It's not something worth collectiing to me either, in fact it would be less worth collecting than a normal book. Of course the person who wrote that is trying to sell the item and she had to mention it was defective in the ad and probably thought that was a way to paint it in the best light. Some people will say or do strange things for money.

While I still see it as having less value than an intact book, and not something I would ever puposely go out and buy, I once got a defective book too with one of my angels decks and I kept it. To me when the universe sends you something there is a reason. I had duplicate pages in the book and it was missing a section on how to read with the deck. I took it as a sign that I was not meant to read that section and was to find my own way to read with the deck. I'm one of those I believe in signs from the universe. :grin:

But there is a big difference between an incomplete book coming to you unexpectedly as a sign and purposely setting out to buy a defective book. I would never purposely do it.

Bar

ravenest

Ha, we can start ripping pages out of our books to make them valuibly collectible.

A misprint is different to an ommission however, (stamps, monetary notes etc.).

I remember the new Magick - Bk. 4 coming out. Boy did that take some time. I was given one of the first runs. It had a section of blank pages in it. I can't concieve how that could ahppen without blaming automated new-fangled tecnology. They asked for it back and I got another only to point out that the hard cover was sewn on upside down in relation to the text inside, no one had seemed to notice. I returned it for a one of the final runs with no (?) probs ... but maybe those other ones will will be worth something one day?

LixiPixi

I happened to notice that listing yesterday. I had to giggle to myself thinking "Missing pages? Big deal. Collectible? I don't think so. At least they're not asking an outrageous price for it." Aside from the fact that it does come with the deck, bag and book - I don't see them getting any better price for it than a set with a "good" book. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually get less because of it. It's like buying a piece of clothing in the discount store because it didn't pass inspection to make it sellable in the department store.

LP~

AJ

someone mentioned a few days ago that their Llewellyn deck was not holding up well and had already started to flake (I think that was the term). Anyone else used their deck enough to see any problems? It's one I'm considering for future purchase but I sure don't need a fragile deck.

LixiPixi

AJ said:
someone mentioned a few days ago that their Llewellyn deck was not holding up well and had already started to flake (I think that was the term). Anyone else used their deck enough to see any problems? It's one I'm considering for future purchase but I sure don't need a fragile deck.

I haven't had any problems with my deck and I use it quite often. I'm a lover of shuffling too, so that's something to consider. The only problems I've had with the Llewellyn is the beautiful bag tore open at the seam.

To the one who posted about the flaking/peeling/defective card - maybe you could get a replacement from the publisher just as if it were a missing card.

LP~

Miren

LixiPixi said:
The only problems I've had with the Llewellyn is the beautiful bag tore open at the seam.

Was that the organza one or another? I had to replace the organza that came from them with my Gilded deck. :(