Asking People if They Want a Reading

Dreth

i saw this on onother forum but i can't find it any more. so i am reasking this question. is it wrong to ask a friend or some one close to you if they want a reading? i mean if you know that they are having a hard time in a relationship or something like that is it wrong to ask them if they want a reading for advice and stuff?

thinbuddha

Nothing wrong with offering a reading. It would be wrong to misrepresent what tarot can do, or your level of skill with the cards, but there is certainly no harm in offering to read for someone.

(some people who believe that tarot is evil may feel as if they are under attack from demons if you offer a reading for them, but really, demons are probably always attacking these people)

-tb

Apollonia

I, too, feel there's absolutely nothing wrong with offering. I know a few people, including some family members, who wouldn't dream of "bothering" me by asking for a reading, but who are thrilled to accept when I offer one.

Sakura Murasaki

I don't think that it's wrong to offer readings. I like to offer readings to my friends and family because it's a way to show I care (besides offering my shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen). If they say "No, thank you," I step aside. Just remember that people's feelings come first, and go from there.

Miren

thinbuddha said:
Nothing wrong with offering a reading. It would be wrong to misrepresent what tarot can do, or your level of skill with the cards, but there is certainly no harm in offering to read for someone.

(some people who believe that tarot is evil may feel as if they are under attack from demons if you offer a reading for them, but really, demons are probably always attacking these people)

-tb

I think this puts it pretty well.

Know the person, know if they'd want a reading or if it would scare them (or take your best guess, you might not be sure). But as long as you present it honestly, there's nothing wrong with offering.

Chiara

I have offered some complete strangers a reading simply because the energy that they gave off was soooo strong. They were some of the best readings I have ever done and I knew nothing, and I mean nothing about these people.

Abrac

This can get tricky. Asking a friend if they would like a reading is akin to asking them if they would like your opinion. In all likelihood, unless they have asked for it they probably don't really.

I would just let them know you care and are there to support them in any way possible. If they know you very well and know you read cards, they will bring it up if they are interested.

But if for some unforeseen reason I ever did ask someone if they wanted a reading, I would stress that there would be no charge.

VGimlet

I ask people all the time. BUT I only ask people who have indicated in the past that they would like me to read for them.

Keep in mind, I don't do it for money. I do it for the experience. Plus, since I read mostly at work, I don't feel it's ethical to charge my co-workers even though we are on personal time.

(Just me, YMMV)

Esee

I am not quite there yet

I see nothing wrong in the offer. I think it's kind to share your time & gift.

I have only offered a few. Mainly because I'm new at doing it for others, and not confident in relating what the cards says to me back to the person I want to tell. Also the family members I read for didn't have much in the way of input or feed back for me.

Since I done 2-circle type exchanges on here, so far I like the comfort of the "faceless" exchange better. Maybe just because I can take the time to expand on my first thoughts of the cards.

temperlyne

Abrac said:
This can get tricky. Asking a friend if they would like a reading is akin to asking them if they would like your opinion. In all likelihood, unless they have asked for it they probably don't really.

I would just let them know you care and are there to support them in any way possible. If they know you very well and know you read cards, they will bring it up if they are interested.

I've asked friends If they wanted to talk about issues but it can be hard for them to define where the problem lies. Thats when I offer to let the tarot help them with guiding their thoughts. I never use tarot for deviniation, but it is a great tool to help people talk about difficult and complicated issues. I guess the trick is predicting how they will respond to your offer and frasing it the right way, but insight in other peoples feelings is an essential skill for any reader anyway.