PDA

View Full Version : Amethyst smells like smoke

Maye Faire
06-01-2007, 08:38
Well, I just quit smoking (5 days and counting). So I was cleaning my bedroom and I noticed the amethyst cluster I keep on my bedside table was getting pretty dusty. My Swiffer duster wasn't really getting into the nooks and crannies, so I decided to run it under water very briefly and then dry it off. It wasn't till I did this that I noticed the smell...and it smells like an ashtray! I had no idea that crystals (or any type of stone for that matter) could absorb a scent like that.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced this before, or if anyone has any suggestions for how to get rid of the smell? I was thinking about maybe burying the crystal in baking soda for a few days....? But I'm not sure if this would damage the crystal in some way. Any advice would be much appreciated!

dandelion
06-01-2007, 08:49
I would recommend vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar); you can dilute with water if you're concerned about the intensity of the solution.

Please note that I am not 100% certain that vinegar won't adversely affect the color of your amethyst. If that is a concern to you, try undiluted natural dishsoap (like Biokleen (http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/)). Smother the crystal with the soap, leave on for 10 minutes, and then scrub off with warm water. Use an old toothbrush to scrub it and remove ash/tar/dust from all the nooks and crannies.

Maye Faire
06-01-2007, 09:01
Thanks so much, dandelion! I am a little wary of using vinegar, so I'm going to try and find some Biokleen. I'm wondering if maybe Mrs. Meyers dishsoap might also be ok? Anyway, thanks for the tip! :)

dandelion
06-01-2007, 09:05
I'm sure most dishsoaps would work (just make sure it's a mild one ;) ). I'm sure Mrs. Meyers is just fine. It may take a few washings, but the full-strength dishsoap will help it on the road to de-fumigation. :)

Good luck!

crystalwoman
06-01-2007, 13:46
I agree that you could use dish soap to clean the amethyst. Keep in mind that muriatic acid is used to strip and clean quartz when it first comes out of a mine and the muriatic acid doesn't harm the quartz. So dish soap won't either. Just make sure that after you've washed and rinsed the amethyst that you dry it with a blow dryer to make sure it's entirely dry in all it's crevices and corners. The reason for that is because the amethyst has pores on its' surface and may still have some microscopically small inclusions of purple iron in it and if the iron gets wet and doesn't dry out immediately it can cause brown rust spots to appear deep within the crystals.

floracove
06-01-2007, 20:08
Believe it or not, charcoal will absorb smells.
:)

The Hanged Man
06-01-2007, 20:13
Could you not just leave it in some warm water, and let it soak overnight? Perhaps a few drops of essential oils might help too.

I'm foolish enough to smoke, and I had no idea at all that gemstones would absorb cigarette smoke, it's news to me.

Charcoal does absorb odours, so leave a stick of charcoal on top of it too.

Debra
06-01-2007, 21:27
Well, I just quit smoking (5 days and counting). ..... I had no idea that crystals (or any type of stone for that matter) could absorb a scent like that.

I'm congratulating you on quitting, Maye Faire! :thumbsup: I quit two years ago and still experience "phantom odors"--occasionally I smell smoke on myself, or in my apartment (where I've never smoked ever)--so I hope you can cleanse this crystal (and maybe do a lot of laundry, and keep cleaning to keep yourself busy and productive) but don't be discouraged if that smell lingers on a bit. It's in your brain as much as in the air.

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Ace-Of-Cups
07-01-2007, 08:29
good job quitting, otherwise, amethyst always comes to me as a good crystal, maybe it said "good job quitting" to you, or am i hallucinating my own ideas again...lol cool, i didnt know crystal could absorb smells either.

^^

Maye Faire
07-01-2007, 12:34
Thanks so much for all the suggestions, guys...and special thanks for the congrats on quitting, I need all the support I can get! :)
And Debra, I know it's early for me, and I still have a lot of cleaning and laundry to do, but I know what you mean about the phantom smells. Sometimes even right after I brush my teeth I can still taste the smoke, which is pretty unpleasant...but I guess my body is going to take a little while to detox. Also, whenever my mother used to visit, I'd never smoke in the apt when she was here, but she'd say that she'd go home and her clothes would stink of smoke. That stuff really gets in there!
So I'm off to put a charcoal disk on the amethyst for now, and tomorrow I'm going to get some natural dishsoap (and definitely blowdry afterwards). Thanks again everyone. :)

mysticmonkey
08-01-2007, 00:29
Ok it's not amethyst but I received a jade statue in the post a few days ago and it smelt of smoke so I ran it under the cold tap for a bit and put a small amount of Dove soap (ph balanced) on my hands and rubbed it gently over the statue trying to work it into all the areas.
I then used a soft nail brush to work the soap in a little more before rinsing the whole thing off as well as rinsing the soap off the nail brush so that I could use it again to make sure no soap remained in the crevices.

I don't know if it was the most appropriate method to use but it smells just fine now. :)