The New Universe Cards

Leo62

A few people here might be familiar with my oracle deck, the Universe Cards.

It's a 35 card deck structured as a literal and symbolic journey from the Earth into the universe, based on images from the Hubble Space Telescope (more info here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universe/).

Well, a few months ago, along with my partner-in-crime on the Quantum Tarot Chris Butler (the 78th Fool), we redesigned the images for the deck. Now that the copyright has reverted to me, I'm able to post some of the new images here. I'd be very interested in all opinions and feedback, both from those familiar with the original and (probably the majority!) anyone to whom this is completely new.

For those familiar with the deck, some of the cards stay pretty close to the original, but many are a radical departure. We've designed the cards borderless, but kept the titles and keywords.

Here are some examples.

PS. For more about the Quantum Tarot, see this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=55198&highlight=Quantum+Tarot

Attachments

• 18.Nebula. Star Birth.jpg
    18.Nebula. Star Birth.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 19.Nebula. Star Death.jpg
    19.Nebula. Star Death.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 32.4 Forces. Gravity.jpg
    32.4 Forces. Gravity.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 34.4 Forces. Strong Force.jpg
    34.4 Forces. Strong Force.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 25.Active Galaxy.jpg
    25.Active Galaxy.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 84

Leo62

A few more images.

Attachments

• 09.Red Dwarf.jpg
    09.Red Dwarf.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 13.Black Dwarf.jpg
    13.Black Dwarf.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 80
  • 29.Black Hole.jpg
    29.Black Hole.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 30.Dark Matter.jpg
    30.Dark Matter.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 31.The Universe.jpg
    31.The Universe.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 99

room

I personally prefer the first edition and find this new one looks too
Photoshop-y with the overlay of butterflies and such. In some cases, it has almost hidden the stellar imagery.

One of the reasons I liked the original set was the mysteriousness of the pictures of the Universe. The new version looks twee to me, it covers up the power inherent in the images and makes the cards look cutesy.

Sorry, I just LOVE the original Kay, it's one of the finest and most original oracles I own.

Leo62

Not to worry, room, glad you like the original :)

Personally, I like both, but I find the new version much more usable as a reading deck.

room

Leo62 said:
I find the new version much more usable as a reading deck.

No kidding???

And you the author too, so that's saying a lot. Are you able to explain why? Is it the extra symbolism?

Leo62

I dunno. I always found the original tough to read with - much to my distress! The new version is both more precise and, paradoxically, seems to have more depth. We deliberately kept the symbolism pared down and simple, but this seems to have had the effect of opening all sorts of doors with regard to meaning...it's hard to explain. Maybe it's simply the introduction of a more "human" element in conjunction with the images of the universe. Sorry...I can't make more sense of it than that!

jackdaw*

Funny, I bought your original on eBay not too long ago, and am waiting for it to arrive. I love Chris' and your work, but have to reserve judgement until I get to play with this one! Right now I can't really compare them...

Funny, Kay, that you found it difficult to work with! That must have been a little disheartening. I hope you have better luck reading with this new version - who knows, it might provide some insight for you into the original!

lunakasha

I love the original Universe Cards, yet I can see where Kay is coming from, that the new edition may be easier to read with. As gorgeous as the images are in the original, I found myself consulting the book more than being able to just read the images themselves.

Do you have plans to publish these anytime soon Kay???

Congratulations....both decks are amazing, and there is nothing else quite like them!

:) Luna

lunakasha

PS: forgot to mention that I LOVE the borderless look, and I hope when/if you publish them they will remain this way....VERY nice, I like that they are similar to the originals, yet just different enough. I could certainly justify purchasing the NEW edition, hehehe! })

huredriel

Ahem ;) ....... just like to remind you that I'm first on the pre-order list Kay :D