Returning cards to the deck

Sedi

I have tried searching for this topic but can't seem to make it specific enough, so apologies if I am covering old ground.

If you are doing multiple readings (say at a fair) how do you return the cards to the pack after a reading? (This only applies to those who have 'random' sequences only, of course). Do you spread them out and insert them back into the pack randomly or just rely on multiple shuffling or washing?

Thanks.

WolfSinger

I insert them back into the deck at intervals to ensure they don't end up adjacent in the next reading, and then shuffle the deck. If it's a large spread i'll sometimes mix the cards up before inserting them back into the deck.

Miren

I try to stick them in at approximately an equal distance apart. And shuffle each time. I don't have any particular order that I put them in before sticking them into the deck, just sweep them together or bring left and right to center. Or just randomly pick them up. And then the putting in @ intervals. But as long as they're separated by a few cards, I think it's fine.

Grizabella

I put them on the bottom of the deck and then shuffle plenty of times. Sometimes I put them on the bottom, then shuffle, cut the deck, restack it, and shuffle a few more times. Putting each card in at a different place takes too much time.

thinbuddha

Sedi said:
Do you spread them out and insert them back into the pack randomly

Tha sounds like the way I do it. Especially on decks that aren't plastic coated, and can't withstand riffle shuffling.

-tb

Alta

I also take the cards and insert them manually back into the deck so they if they come out together again... well, they were supposed to then. :)

zach bender

math

there is math somewhere that says maybe eight or so "riffle" shuffles will restore randomness.

zb

Apollonia

I just gather them up, put them on top of the rest, and shuffle. I've had no problem with cards coming up next to each other in consecutive readings.

RaeBelle

I place the cards either on top or on the bottom of the deck and then shuffle. I like to shuffle, so it doesn't bother me.

a_shikhs

I usually shuffle them well and the insert them back all upright. Sometimes I put them in order and then keep them in the bag/box.