Interesting thought...

wumpkie

Hi there, I happened to be talking to one of my friends at work that I was learning the ways of the Tarot and she may a bizzare point that I had never even heard before.

She said that only the true Tarot readers have there first set bought for them.

Dont get me wrong I think anyone who has the interest in this and buys their own first is equally as good as a person who has them bought for them.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this before,

Lovin' you all

Emily-Jane xXx

HonestPuck

I have heard this before. I really don't think that it matters, don't worry about it. I bought my first deck, and all the others since as well. Being a "true" tarot reader has nothing to do with how you got your first deck. Well, that's what I think anyway.

wumpkie

I have to admit I did sorta raise my eyebrow :D

Disa

This goes along with the countless other myths and misconceptions of the tarot, I'm sure.

I think it would have been magical to have received my very first deck from a mystical person who read tarot and had used that deck themselves for many years. It would be a special deck to me due to sentimental reasons, etc. However, I didn't know any people like that at the time I got my first deck, therefore I bought and still buy my own. I did have one deck that was given to me and I'm very glad to have it, but honestly (and I'm sure you know this) picking out decks is such a personal thing, we never know what we're really going to think of a deck until we have it in our possession and have worked with it a bit. It would be very difficult for someone who doesn't read tarot to pick out the most perfect deck to give as a first deck, don't you think?

wumpkie

That is a very good point, and I wasn't meaning this thread to cause offence :)

I mean when I have learnt more then of course I will choose my own decks because if I got some one else to choose a deck that would be like my mother choosing clothes for me :S

xXx

MysticMason

Remember, too, that the first deck you bought called you (and not vice-versa).

Disa

Oh, I didn't think there was any offense intended anywhere.

And MysticMason you are correct, my first deck did call me. I walked past it at least a dozen times and finally just got it, it was the only deck at the bookstore and I couldn't even see the cards. But.. it had a book with it too and I thought, who knows if I'll ever have another chance to buy a tarot deck- so I got it, sight unseen. Little did I know........

rebecca-smiles

I was given my first deck at the age of 11 and it made me cry (with fear and disapointment, not joy) :( it was the witches tarot. sinister. (i like sinister, but not in the witches tarot way).

I didn't get into tarot again for 15 years! (oh the trauma!!!)

choosing for yourself is nicer.

gregory

No offence is taken by anyone for a reasonable question. :D

But this is indeed another of those hogwash things that comes up with regularity. Very nice to get a deck as a gift, but just think - someone who would have been the world's greatest reader might never have been given one at all, and think what we'd have lost.

HearthCricket

My first deck was given to me, by my parents, when I was 12. There was no significance in it, really, except my best friend had one and I wanted one, too, so it became a Christmas present. They were going to give it to me on Christmas Day, but when we went to a camping club meeting, where there was no one my age, they gave it to me then, so I would have something to do! It was the IJJ Swiss.

I don't think there is any special power about being given a deck as opposed to buying your own. When I was in my early 20's and went to a new Metaphysical store and came across several tarot decks, it was really nice to be able to browse through them and pick out my "real" first deck, meaning the one that I really connected to. As nice a thought as it is when someone gifts you a deck, especially your first one, it can make all the difference in the world if you will get into tarot or not. If you don't connect with it, you may never return to tarot again!