mechanical card shufflers?

thinbuddha

I think that the market would be relatively small for mechanical shufflers outside the gaming community.

The tarot market may seem huge from inside ATF, but outside ATF most people would be surprised to learn that there is more than a handful of different tarot decks available (and in all different sizes).

I also think that many tarot readers would be reluctant to use an auto shuffler because of the feeling that some of the "magic" that comes from handling the cards is removed from the process of making a reading.

It brings up an interesting question- if you would be willing to use an automated shuffler, then why bother buying a deck at all? Why not buy software that allows you to use images from any deck you like, trace the history of your readings etc? I'm not trying to be combatitive with the question- only trying to see where the line gets drawn between "not enough" and "too much" automation in the tarot reading process.

For me.... well, I never had much trouble shuffling, so I guess I'd never buy an automated shuffler. I also don't have any tarot software, but could see purchasing it for the purposes of journaling my readings- but I'd always want the tactile experience of shuffling and dealing the cards myself.

-tb

Debra

Oh my. I just always assumed that touching the cards is part of what makes them work. It's psycho-spiritual-somatic--not techno-mechanical. Isn't it?

celticnoodle

AJ said:
these all seem to be for standard sized cards, has anyone ever run across a company that makes adjustable ones?
Sure seems like there would be a big market for it considering how often how to shuffle the large cards comes up and how many of us might have hand problems.
AJ, I was thinking the same thing, but I've never seen one that would adjust for larger decks--such as the majority of tarot comes in. however, they should work fine w/tarot decks that are smaller, i would think.

tb said:
I think that the market would be relatively small for mechanical shufflers outside the gaming community. I also think that many tarot readers would be reluctant to use an auto shuffler because of the feeling that some of the "magic" that comes from handling the cards is removed from the process of making a reading.

It brings up an interesting question- if you would be willing to use an automated shuffler, then why bother buying a deck at all? Why not buy software that allows you to use images from any deck you like, trace the history of your readings etc? I'm not trying to be combatitive with the question- only trying to see where the line gets drawn between "not enough" and "too much" automation in the tarot reading process.

For me.... well, I never had much trouble shuffling, so I guess I'd never buy an automated shuffler. I also don't have any tarot software, but could see purchasing it for the purposes of journaling my readings- but I'd always want the tactile experience of shuffling and dealing the cards myself.

t.b. I also see your point. to me, part of the magic is in the shuffling of the cards. however, those readers who have arthritis or other problems w/their arms/hands may be thrilled w/this option. they can always touch the cards or pull each card out themselves w/their hands, thus still giving the cards 'that magical touch'.

I have arthritis, and other problems w/my arms/hands. i know it'll only get worse as i get older. since i cannot imagine not doing tarot for the rest of my life, i hope someone does develop an automatic shuffler for tarot cards---then i know i can continue reading till the end of my days! :)

firecatpickles

I love the feel of my cards in my hands. Each deck has its own personality in that respect. Why would I want a mechanical shuffler?

This f reminds me of Joey's agent, on Friends, Estelle, when she pulls out a cigarette from her cigarette carousel in each and every one of her scenes! And its always a different one.

sharpchick

Physical disability aside, I just can't see myself using an auto shuffler.

I'd be wondering whether it was me or the machine that was going to meet a tall dark handsome stranger. . .

AngelC

Shuffling is so nice!
I can just pick up a deck and shuffle it while reading or doing something else because I like the feel of handling it.
No machine for me.

Logiatrix

Shuffling is a very sore subject for me right now...(Pun entirerly intended!)
:laugh:

My hands were killing me earlier...and the temp dropped even lower as night approached. However, the circumstances have allowed me to try some new ways to blend my cards, all suggestions from other ATers (AJ is one of them). I think it's an absolute blessing to have the support of concerned tarot brethren, and I was thrilled to have other options to try. Which is also why I washed the dishes with rubber gloves and my hands feel better!
:thumbsup:

Yes, it's a bummer not to be able to shuffle my deck, but if there's an alternative way to mix my cards, of course I'll try it. I don't see any loss of spiritual connection when I swirl my cards, throw them up in the air, or use a machine. The spiritual connection is in me, not the cards.

Find a way - that's all there is to it. Nothing is lost unless you believe so. I think a mechanical shuffler would be wonderful (my bf wants to craft one now that I told him about AJ's idea).

AJ, if you find something like what you suggested, let me know!
;)

Sakura Murasaki

I bought a mechanical card shuffler once. Once was enough to convince me not to use it again! It works, but it hurts the paper of the cards. I wouldn't use one for a Tarot deck.