Three Esoteric Disciplines and Tarot

Rosanne

I was reading a companion book and I came across this information that I had never heard of before. I thought I might share it and would welcome opinions.

The ancient world has produced many diverse mystical paths, spiritual disciplines, oracles and esoteric traditions.
I agree with that. It then goes on...
Four of these- astrology, kabbalah, alchemy and tarot- are thought to correspond to the four archetypal elements. Thus the very logical and linear science of astrology is representative of the rational world of air signs. Kaballah is the path of earth, one of its essential principles being the movement between heaven and earth on the tree of life. Alchemy is governed by the element of fire, this ancient art being preoccupied with the creative process. This leaves the realm of water, the dream like images of the subconscious, and the Tarot, an oracle which speaks directly to our intuition
Apart from other ideas that this brings, I was wondering why there do not seem to be Tarot decks that do not show this clearly within the suits i.e Swords have astrological correspondances, Coins have Kabbalah, alchemy is with the Wands and Cups are always water thus the leading suit of Tarot. Not only is there differing opinions as to which suit is which element, why are there these differing philosophical systems incorporated into Tarot? Does this muddy the water? Does this make the images more prone to dogma? Does it make Tarot less flexible and less open to interpretation? Does it narrow the range of ideas rather than expand them? Are not the archetypes, the major theme less able to cross all social, cultural, racial and religious barriers if there are all of these philosophies contained with the 78 cards?
I hope I have made my queries lucid enough for discussion. ~Rosanne

mollymawk

-----------------

Rosanne

Well for me tarot is decidedly Astrological. Then again that brings its own dogma- like the Empress and Venus for example- does this narrow the Card down instead of expanding it? I know all these added correspondences do not stop Tarot being Tarot- it stays unique, but maybe all the added things are artificial in some way? The images as archetypal are understood by everyone really without all the extras themes. It just made me think again.
You are right mollymawk when you say
But it's held up pretty well under all that.
I understand the Christian theme, but I was raised that way-even if I am not now Christian. Thanks for your thoughts. ~Rosanne

MysticTree

Rosanne said:
I was reading a companion book and I came across this information that I had never heard of before. I thought I might share it and would welcome opinions.

~Rosanne

Rosanne -

Would you mind naming your source for the passage quoted. Title, Author, Publisher and year would be very helpful. Thank you.

MysticTree

Abrac

Rosanne[i said:
Four of these- astrology, kabbalah, alchemy and tarot- are thought to correspond to the four archetypal elements.
"Are thought" by whom? :D Does the author cite any sources?

Rosanne

Sorry that was thoughtless of me not to name sources. Its was from the companion book of the Universal Tarot by Maxwell Miller, Publisher was Findhorn Press with Samuel Weiser in the States 1995. He cites his main sources of Tarot to be Robert Wang Quabalistic Tarot Papus with Tarot of the Bohemians, + Aleister Crowley The Book of Thoth. He also gives general influence of a variety of Authors.
I like this companion book very much, especially the card commentaries. I take nothing for granted when reading, and certainly keep myself open for debate on issues like this. I thought it was worthy of debate this idea, I had not heard it before as I said in opening post. I like his short words on readings and divination and I think his deck interesting. It is definitely a multi- cultural, multi myth deck. I like the mixture. ~Rosanne

Fulgour

Astrology Air VOCALS
All those starstruck lyrics, and mind-bending
combinations of musical thoughts and words.

Kabbalah Earth BASS
Hard to love all by itself... but a great beat.
Works with drums and guitars so like magic.

Alchemy Fire GUITARS
Psychedelic or rhythm and blues~ it's ripping.
Those vibrating strings have lightning energy.

Tarot Water DRUMS
Oh my what does go on with those drummers
and their deep animal power, pounding it out!

Moon mind

when the Fire met the Water, energy began(Air)... the result of this is the Earth...
And the Ether was watching....
oops..
Moon mind

Rosanne

Ahhh Fulgour! In your usual way you round an argument off. Yes Tarot is a symphony I agree, but some make it a cacophony. I am a vocals with Drums, myself. Although I do love short bursts of 'Deep Purple' and a little Jazz Bass like Milt Hinton used to play. Some musicians can do it all like Sidney Bechet- but can Tarot? I fear that once there was a pure sound like something from Hildegarde von Bingham or the Aquitanian Monasteries shining light and now.....we have The County Bluegrass Band sings 'Un Bel Di' in four parts with Ukelele and Peruvian whistle.
I had not heard that concept of four elements/four disciplines before- have you? ~Rosanne

Rosanne

when the Fire met the Water, energy began(Air)... the result of this is the Earth...
And the Ether was watching....
I like that Moon Mind, but I like the Maori version of creation better! Ranginui the sky and Papatuanuku the Earth embraced and so close was the embrace there was no light for their children- so Tane wiggled up between them and pushed the sky away- Sky howled with rage and there was fire, Earth cried and there was water... basically :D ~Rosanne