Tarot Journal

tmle39

Hi everyone! I am new to Tarot cards/readings and would like some input on starting a journal. What is put in a journal ? Spreads, results??? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. tmle39

RaeBelle

Welcome to AT!

It's really up to you what you put in a journal. You can keep one journal for everything, or split it up in a way that works best for you.

I have a few journals. One for spreads, one for readings I've done, and one for meanings. I'm also creating a new journal that I'll be using for exercises out of some of my Tarot books.

SarahRose

Anything you want; it's your journal.

I currently have one for readings and the thoughts that go with and surround them. Then I have a journal of reference - spreads and meanings, notes, etc.

Sulis

I have one book that I write spreads and general thoughts on the cards in.
In this book I also put stuff about the elements and suits, symbolism and numerology.

I also have another journal (well I have quite a lot now after years of tarot journaling) that I write my personal readings in.

SunChariot

tmle39 said:
Hi everyone! I am new to Tarot cards/readings and would like some input on starting a journal. What is put in a journal ? Spreads, results??? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. tmle39

This is your journal, put what pleases you and what you think you will want to look back at in time and enjoy reading. A journal is like a gift you are giving a future you.

You can add anything you want, drawings, poetry...

That being said what mine contains is basically all the readings I have done (I am on volume 20 now since May/04 when I started reading). Personally I can never read my own handwriting so I type them all up on the computer, adding in the card images, and print, use my hole punch add to my journal (mine are binders).

I have found that rereading old readings is very helpful to me. Sometimes months later when you reread things, you can see so much more in them that you could not see before. And it's fun to look back and see how much you have changed as a person and how your readings have improved over time.

Besides saving readings I have done and those others have done for me, I save any Tarot info I expect to find useful later on. Like ways to do timelines, yes/no questions, Tarot articles or articles related to my current Tarot studies, how to crochet Tarot bags....

I don't know if most people have separarate journals for each, but my Tarot journal ends up housing all my spiritual learning at the time, encompassing Tarot, Oracles, Runes, my dreams when I fall asleep at night, Angel and Faery communications. meditations (including Tarot meditations I have done)....

What started out for me as just a Tarot journal, has I guess for me turned into a diary of my spiritual learnings and development. But a good 80% is still readings

hope something in there helps. LOL

Bar

dandelion

Greetings! I too am new to tarot. When I started my journal, I had this idea in my head that I’d write about the cards in numerical order, follow a rigid formula for what I include and in what order, and adhere to a particular set of topics and questions that I would explore to keep the journal focused.

And then I started my journal, and threw that all out the window.

I spent the first few pages “introducing myself,” explaining to myself about what drew me to tarot, how my first deck found me, and other thoughts I had at the time. Since then, I’ve recorded:

- thoughts on cards by drawing roughly one per day

- dreams (I’m a vivid dreamer, and since beginning my explorations of tarot, I’ve had almost non-stop tarot-related and tarot-theme-related dreams)

- other things that influence my thoughts (e.g. I’ve had many reflections to record on comet McNaught, which in turn I’ve related to my daily card reflections)

- my few tarot card readings (I’m taking this part slow)

- sketches, doodles, poems, and dream-inspired tarot images

- any and all other thoughts that feel pertinent, including other things going on in my life as I find them occupying my thoughts, or relating to what I see in the cards I draw and discuss

I’ve found that allowing my journal to flow organically feels and works far better for me. I can only imagine that as I continue to grow and learn with tarot, that what I include in my journal will evolve to include so much more.

I do think that with time, I’ll start to create a separate resource that I can organize by card and/or topic, for easier reference, but for now – it’s all about the journey for me!

Good luck with yours!

SunChariot

dandelion said:
- dreams (I’m a vivid dreamer, and since beginning my explorations of tarot, I’ve had almost non-stop tarot-related and tarot-theme-related dreams)

Don't know if you've tried this, but I thought I'd mention it. Tarot is wondeful for analysing the messages of your dreams. What I do is to break in into parts, e.g.

--I went to the store
--I bought a book

Then you can ask the cards questions on each like " What did going to the store symbolize" "Why did I feel I need to buy a book" "Or what is my life telling me I need to learn more about, by showing me buying a book...?"

It really can be fun and revealing

thought I'd mention it

Bar

dandelion

Thanks very much for the suggestions Bar! I'll be sure to give them a try, and add my findings to my journal!

Sheri

When I started learning Tarot, I started documenting every spread I did, the cards and my interpretations of the cards. I did it to kind of keep track of the accuracy of my readings. Now I find that I am collecting spreads, information about the histories of the decks, etc., and so much more. All of the ideas posted here are great! As you continue to work with a journal, you will find or develop a style that is unique to you...and we all want to hear about it!!! :D

Good luck to you :)

valeria

Lain_82

Hello!!!!

My journal contains Tarot info I find useful and some drawings... also my favourite spreads and stuff I don't want my mom to find when she's cleaning my room... :rolleyes:;)