Mistake?

brittney7899

A couple of weeks ago i bought my very first tarot deck it was the Marseilles deck. I was really excited to open the deck and then when i did i found out it was in French and i didn't connect very well to it. So after a few days my friend came over and i showed her the deck and as soon as she held it she said she feels really good with the deck and it gave her a good vibe so i gave it to her. But now, i kind of wished i hadn't. I think now i would of respected the deck and used it more often because right now i miss it, after all it was my first deck. However,right now I'm using the Universal Waite tarot deck and i love it!

I was just wondering if this happened to anyone who wanted their first deck back or gave it away. And also i would like new tarot deck recommendations for a beginner like me.

Thanks so much

celticnoodle

brittney7899, don't feel sad about giving away your first deck, as it seemed to initially speak to your friend. don't look back and worry over it--especially because it's behind you and obviously made a good first impression with your friend! you'll be rewarded in some way for this. i like to think that tarot decks given as a gift to someone is a good omen for both the giver and the receiver. For that reason, I have purchased 'first decks' for my daughter, and nieces, and a friend.

now, for recommendations on decks for beginniers, I hear the Universal Waite tarot deck that you have is a good one. I recently recieved for Christmas the Golden Tarot, which I absolutely love, and it's easy to read with too! There are lots of wonderful decks for beginners, check out the forum titled "decks" on this site to locate them and read information on them before you purchase them.

good luck and have fun. maybe you & your friend can read for each other as you learn the art of tarot, and so you won't really be far from the deck you gave to her!

bleuivy

I gave away my first deck, and sold my second deck ever for a song. I was pleased as they went on and enriched other people's tarot experience. Meanwhile, getting rid of decks I didn't connect with helped me sort out what types of decks I do connect with.

And my advice to a beginner is to stick with just one deck for a couple of months at least. I know that lots of people accumulate a ton of decks when they first start out, but if I had it to do over again, I would have stuck with just one for a while. If the Universal Waite is working for you now, stick with it until you think you're ready to move on. My advice would be several months at least.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Miren

I sold my first deck. I couldn't use it, so I figured I should get rid of it...and I'd found one which spoke to me.

Grass is always greener when you can't have it. It's possible that you would have used it, but I don't think I would have gotten into the one I had. Goddess Tarot. Not to say I didn't have feelings of regret, but I'm fine with it now. Hopefully it will be a blessing for your friend.

PixieLi

I do believe the Universal Waite tarot deck is the best deck for beginners. I think it's nice that you gave your friend the Marseilles deck and I wouldn't worry about it at all.

enjoy

Abrac

If you are using the Universal and you like it, then keep using it. I agree with the others that it should be fairly easy to read with. But I can also understand your missing the Marseilles since it was your first deck.

If you genuinely like the Marseilles (not just because your friend said she likes it) and would like to replace it, then go ahead and replace it at the next opportunity. But I wouldn't stress or lose sleep over it. If it is meant to be it will be.

Lillie

I gave away my first deck too.

I didn't like it much, and I got one I liked better.

thinbuddha

The bad part is that you should have given it to me instead!

SunChariot

brittney7899 said:
A couple of weeks ago i bought my very first tarot deck it was the Marseilles deck. I was really excited to open the deck and then when i did i found out it was in French and i didn't connect very well to it. So after a few days my friend came over and i showed her the deck and as soon as she held it she said she feels really good with the deck and it gave her a good vibe so i gave it to her. But now, i kind of wished i hadn't. I think now i would of respected the deck and used it more often because right now i miss it, after all it was my first deck. However,right now I'm using the Universal Waite tarot deck and i love it!

I was just wondering if this happened to anyone who wanted their first deck back or gave it away. And also i would like new tarot deck recommendations for a beginner like me.

Thanks so much

Honestly, what I believe is that everything that happens is meant to. Especially in the spiritual parts of our life as Tarot is. I think you were guided to give it away for a reason, although sometimes the reason only becomes completley clear in time.

As for my experiences, I thought I made a mistake too by giving away my first deck. When I started I could not decide between two decks so I ordered both. I then fell prey to a dumb Tarot superstition (but hey when you are new you don't know any better!!!) While my two decks were in the mail coming to me, I was told by a reader I knew that you must never have more than one Tarot deck. That you must only have one for life and that makes you bond so closely with it (Boy and I glad now that that was nothing but a superstition).

So the first one came in and I gave it away to a friend at work, and the second came a few days later and I kept that one. The one I gave away was the Celtic Wisdom Tarot. I always loved its colours and the artwork drew me in. It did not take me long to learn that you can indeed have more than on Tarot deck and then I regretting giving it away.

That was May/04 when I gave it away, and my collection has grown to 33 since then. Finally in Oct/06 I felt it was time to get a copy finally of my first deck I had given away and never gotten to use.

Honestly, it is now my favourite deck. But when I look at it now I can see, at least for me, it is not a learning deck. It is so untraditional. All the suits, and Majors are completely remamed and reworked, in fact all the cards have been. It doesn't have that much in common with a traditional Tarot really at all. It's an amazing deck, but I needed to learn a lot more about Tarot before I could have been ready to use it. Including the year long meditation series I am now doing that is shown at the end of the book that is now changin gmy life is such wonderful ways. I had to learn to meditate on the cards and get some practice in before I would have been anywhere near ready for that.

So really things for me absolutely worked out for the best and I would not have changed a thing. The deck was initially way too advanced for me. I trust in life, that that is how things work. If you were driven to give away your first deck, then there was a good reason for that and it worked out for the best. And if you were meant to have one, you will when the time is right.

Bar

celticnoodle

SunChariot said:
I was told by a reader I knew that you must never have more than one Tarot deck. That you must only have one for life and that makes you bond so closely with it (Boy and I glad now that that was nothing but a superstition).
never heard that superstition, but boy am i glad it is superstition! :D
not that i have nearly as many tarot decks as you, (33!!), but the tarot card buying bug certaintly has bitten me! ha ha.