Competition (I'm scared!)

rebecca-smiles

How do pro readers feel about competition?

It just that in an effort to read for the public (i try not to go through friends friends, because i don't think they take it as any more than a party trick "oh look she got it all right! well done!") I have been going round checking our places that look likely, plus i decided to advertise in the local meta store.

When i asked about puting up an ad. the assistant refered me to the boss standing next to her. I explained that i was new to reading for the public, that i would not charge (big mistake!) and could i put an advert up?

Well the woman i addressed first was the new in house reader, pro, charging (ahh!). Actually i went in to get a sales assistant job and enquired about that as well, so i tread on her toes Two ways! i scuppered my chances there all right :)

maybe i imagined this bit totally, but i think she gave me the evils! i understand if she wants to see off the competition (none of the other regual advertisers of tarot can put there ads there now either) but i hadn't realised how antagonistic it might be:

At a farmers market i asked if i could read there. They said they had a reader and would take me on (i wanted a weekend day, she only did two week days) but they said she probably wouldn't want me there.

This is all fair do's. But i find it curious because after studying aromatherapy all my class mates went on to go pro, and they are like a circle. Not only do they refer clients when fully booked, they also refer to each others particular expertise, and even carry each others advertising literature in their studio's. It is a community serving the community - you go to who works best for you, they work together to provide the best all round.

Is this absent in the tarot proffessional community? if it is i'm quite intimidated as i want to read publically, but had hoped to bypass charging, and especially had hoped to tap into the tarot community and share like we do here. I can't see that happening if readers are genuinely resentful of each other though. Maybe i'm just imagining they don't like me or each other!! :)

dadsnook2000

Business is business

In any organization or craft-group there are a limited number of opportunities for "professionals" who sell/serve the public or who can teach those who are interested in a particular subject. Those that are in the forefront want to stay there! It means money, recognition, control over competitors.

Not wanting to charge for your services marks you as an armature in their eyes and in the view of shop or business owners who support and profit from those who practice as professionals. Business people want consistency and a "sure thing" from associates. You represented none of the above to them.

Ignore the "competition." Do your own thing. Your customer's will determine your value and attraction relative to the "others." Dave

Apollonia

dadsnook2000 said:
Not wanting to charge for your services marks you as an armature in their eyes and in the view of shop or business owners who support and profit from those who practice as professionals. Business people want consistency and a "sure thing" from associates. You represented none of the above to them.
I agree completely.

Rebecca, you say your aromatherapy classmates all went pro, but do they offer their services for free? If not, then the example doesn't hold. And why do you want to bypass charging?

As a professional reader, I wouldn't like it if you came into the place where I read and offered to do what I was doing for free, either, and having it sprung on me out of the blue when I was standing right there, and new to the shop at that, would definitely bug me.

Not being willing to charge implies the reader lacks experience and/or confidence, might not be very good, and very possibly wouldn't show up on a consistent basis. Plus, what does the shop get out of it? They have expenses to meet. Would you pay a table fee out of your own pocket?

About a year ago, the owner of the shop where I read asked me if I would object to having a guy who was trying to learn Tarot come in and give practice readings for free. I told her it was her shop, but if he was there, I wouldn't be reading there anymore, not because of the competition (bring it on!), but because I do not ever want someone to go around saying they had an amateurish reading from our shop. I stand behind my readings and I'll give a refund or a free reading if the querent is not happy with what they received. What does a free reader offer as a guarantee? Double your nothing back?

I don't mind having other readers around, I have referred clients to other readers, and I welcome anyone who wants to give it a go, but I feel if they are reading out of a shop, they are already presenting themselves as professionals, and they should be prepared to be professionals in every sense of the word, including being willing to lay their expertise on the line and respecting their peers by charging a fair price for their services.

rebecca-smiles

Apollonia said:
I agree completely.

Rebecca, you say your aromatherapy classmates all went pro, but do they offer their services for free? If not, then the example doesn't hold. And why do you want to bypass charging?

True, although by the time i reached the market i had wised up enough to charge; it may not be my objective but if it gets me together with people to read for them...

Apollonia said:
As a professional reader, I wouldn't like it if you came into the place where I read and offered to do what I was doing for free, either, and having it sprung on me out of the blue when I was standing right there, and new to the shop at that, would definitely bug me.

Understood. I didn't know she was a reader!! If i had i would not have asked, or at least i would have defered to her; i don't want to tread on any bodies toes.

Apollonia said:
Not being willing to charge implies the reader lacks experience and/or confidence, might not be very good, and very possibly wouldn't show up on a consistent basis. Plus, what does the shop get out of it? They have expenses to meet. Would you pay a table fee out of your own pocket?

Ah! the job request was only for sales assistant, not as a reader. As for charging, that is exactly right. I'm not experienced, and feel that I should not charge large sums of money (and readings aren't cheap are they) for something as though I have been doing this to the standard that others have for years.

Apollonia said:
About a year ago, the owner of the shop where I read asked me if I would object to having a guy who was trying to learn Tarot come in and give practice readings for free. I told her it was her shop, but if he was there, I wouldn't be reading there anymore, not because of the competition (bring it on!), but because I do not ever want someone to go around saying they had an amateurish reading from our shop. I stand behind my readings and I'll give a refund or a free reading if the querent is not happy with what they received. What does a free reader offer as a guarantee? Double your nothing back?

I must say though, if you get something for free, then it is a gift, i wouldn't ask someone for the money instead of a present if i didn't like the present. Although i understand that here there is an obligation to provide good service, if only for the reputation of the art.

Apollonia said:
I don't mind having other readers around, I have referred clients to other readers, and I welcome anyone who wants to give it a go, but I feel if they are reading out of a shop, they are already presenting themselves as professionals, and they should be prepared to be professionals in every sense of the word, including being willing to lay their expertise on the line and respecting their peers by charging a fair price for their services.

I wasn't asking to read in their shop! I was only asking to put a card on the wall with just 'Tarot Reader - Rebecca - (my phone number), among all the other business cards, meet ups, groups and serivces on the wall.

Thankyou for your response, i can see where you are coming from. I guess i will have to realise that if i advertise anywhere i will have to carge, and at a respectable rate. I shall keep free readings word of mouth only through personal contacts. But to get out there and read i have to ask around, everwhere. :)

rebecca-smiles

dadsnook2000 said:
In any organization or craft-group there are a limited number of opportunities for "professionals" who sell/serve the public or who can teach those who are interested in a particular subject. Those that are in the forefront want to stay there! It means money, recognition, control over competitors.

Ignore the "competition." Do your own thing. Your customer's will determine your value and attraction relative to the "others." Dave

I'm not trying to appear as anything more than 'amature' as i don't see this as a negative thing if people are aware of that. If they want pro, they know where to find it! i am happy to go to student aromatherapists who need practice clients, knowing that they will not give quite proffessional service, but there the exchange is mutually beneficient, without the cash exchange.
Although i think i may well end up charging, that is because there seems to be so much pressure to do so. People don't seem to value kindess for its own sake, mutual exchange, giving without recieving.

If i have to charge to read for people then i will. If i suck, i suck - i'll get better. I have to get better. I want to read. If i can't read for other people then it is half the experience of reading for me. If i can do it, and i can, then it should be shared.

As Umbrae keeps saying - it's all about the sitter, but not if you make yourself the only avaliable reader at a price. Its all about the sitter when people cooperate and make the best reader for that client at their ability to pay, surely? it's not competition if it is cooperative.

Yeah, cheers for the input.

souljourney

Rebecca,
Here in Kansas City we have a couple of psychic fairs run by the Psychical Research Society and they offer readings as a fundraiser for there group. The readers volunteer their time in 4 hour blocks and fair charges $8 per reading. I don't know if there is anything similar in your area, but that could be a place to try.
I have even thought of that for this fall maybe.
Also do you have a Tarot Meetup in your town... we don't... yet, but they will usually get together and do readings as part of the get together.
I am assuming you want more experience with face to face reading. Online practice is easy to find.
Good luck.
SJ

HudsonGray

Someone I know who wanted face to face practice just went down to the food court at the mall, sat down with their cards & put a homemade sign on the table "I need practice, want your cards read for free???" and got people immediately.

Don't let other readers set your rules for you in your city, go do your own thing and be happy about it. But I'd also say 'charge' because if you want to be professional, that's what they do. No pro, in any venue, works for free.

rebecca-smiles

Thanks HudsonGray! great suggestion. there isn't any where like that here as such, but i'm sure i can think up a few suitable spots. In the spring when it si warm and dry i shall go sit in the park with a blanket and do just that! :)

Grizabella

**As Umbrae keeps saying - it's all about the sitter, but not if you make yourself the only avaliable reader at a price. Its all about the sitter when people cooperate and make the best reader for that client at their ability to pay, surely? it's not competition if it is cooperative.**

Yes, it is all about the sitter. :) And you'll find a way to get your practice if you just keep trying. Maybe you could just sit a donation jar out and put a little bit of change and a couple dollars of your own in it for "seed money" and to draw customers and read that way. There's not a darned thing wrong with giving readings for free, either, if your heart tells you that's what you should do.

But you'll find that those who charge a lot are really sour on people who do that because they're afraid it's going to take money away from them, so just be aware of that and try to be understanding of their position, but don't let it stop you from doing it your way. :)

Hugs and good luck to you! :love: