tarot prayer as baby gift?

elvenstar

How do people feel about giving a small reading as a gift for a baby? I'm probably not talking about a 'reading' per se, I definitely don't want to foresee her future or anything even remotely like that! Perhaps more something along the lines of a wish or a prayer, focusing solely on positive energies?

I'll be attending a 'wiccaning' and as godmother I am to provide a gift. So I thought of the cards, since this is perhaps my most precious gift (provided of course that the parents will agree). I would be using the fey deck. Does anyone understand what I'm talking about, have you any advice or experiences to share?

Thanks!
elv

temperlyne

You could also make some sort of collage using the childs birth card and what it means, what gifts and challenges it can provide. Like those that exist for birthsigns and even names. Specially the fey would make a wonderfull and decorative image for a child.

elvenstar

hi temperlyne, thanks for the reply! this is a wonderful idea and I would do it if I could afford it. However, I was thinking more in terms of using the cards as a focus rather then giving them. :) (Title of post was misleading, amended that)

temperlyne

You could always copy the images in whatever medium you might be comfortable with to keep expenses down. But if you just want to give a spiritual gift instead of a material one I suppose it can never hurt anyone. I'd talk to the parents first offcourse, but I'm sure you will come up with something perfect for the occasion.

celticnoodle

elvenstar said:
How do people feel about giving a small reading as a gift for a baby? I'm probably not talking about a 'reading' per se, I definitely don't want to foresee her future or anything even remotely like that! Perhaps more something along the lines of a wish or a prayer, focusing solely on positive energies?

I'll be attending a 'wiccaning' and as godmother I am to provide a gift. So I thought of the cards, since this is perhaps my most precious gift (provided of course that the parents will agree). I would be using the fey deck. Does anyone understand what I'm talking about, have you any advice or experiences to share?
given that it is a 'wiccaning' & you are the godmother, i think this is a terrific and very acceptable gift. i also think it would be okay to give a bit of the future to them- such as what her interests may be as she grows up, and such. all positive things. and i especially love the idea temperlyne came up with. if you have a scanner and color printer for your computer, you can scan the card and if you do not, head off to an office store, such as staples, (if you have them in the UK). it should not cost you much to copy it there. you can also put it in a frame ready to hang. i think it sounds like a very sweet gift to come from her godmother!

greenbeans

Some people wouldn't like the idea of their baby having anything to do with tarot. For the same reasons some people don't like to have anything to do with it themselves- fear, ignorance, misunderstanding- only amplified a hundred times as people are so protective of their children.

So, first, you need to check the parents aren't sensitive about the tarot/baby combination. But since you said it was a wiccaning, I am guessing the parents are very open-minded about such things! In which case, what a unique and beautiful idea! And the fey is an utterly perfect choice- such a bright, innocent yet wise deck. Sure to have a lot to say about the new life!

I also agree that it would be nice to have some visual record of the reading. Just scans of the cards and maybe a couple of sentences on how you interpret it? It could be framed or scrapbooked...amazing keepsake for the parents and child to look back on!

celticnoodle

i would imagine, since elvenstar mentioned that this ceremony is one that is a 'wiccaning', then the family must be okay with such things as tarot. however, elvenstar may want to still check with the parents to be sure.

elvenstar

Thanks for the suggestions :) I think I'll do it focusing on positive energies surrounding her, see what I come up with for her birth card, her gifts and strengths. I'll try to play with the scanner too :D