correcting the deck, or not?

Faerun

this is a issue i recently ran into, is that some people will 'correct' their deck at a certain time [maybe a full moon], unreversing the reversed cards, maybe even re-ordering the deck back into its original state [all the majors and minors in order]. but prior to this i had been lead to believe that you shouldnt 'correct' it, ever, because it ruins the decks 'energy', messes up the link between the deck and dealer, etc]

so im looking to collect opinions on the matter

6 Haunted Days

As in most cases I think it is what you believe or feel is right. I have never felt odd and like my deck's energy was off because I "corrected" them. From time to time, especially if I am studying I will rearrange the deck back into order...correct reversals etc. Some people even prepare the deck for reversals. Some don't read with them at all, so they make sure there are none before shuffling.

In my mind reordering my deck cleans the slate so to speak, cleanses it and renews the energy if I feel I am getting cluttered readings, but again this is just my belief. I am sure you will get many answers!

Grizabella

There's an index of tarot myths on one of the forums, and this that you mention is just one of many. I don't re-order any of my decks, put them under a full moon, or any of that stuff. I tried putting one of mine through incense smoke once and all I got was a deck that smelled like smoke. (That was my first Buckland deck---that poor deck has suffered so many indignities. :p )

I'll see if I can find the thread and I'll come back and post the link here for you.

OK here's one I found. It's not the index of threads on myths I was looking for but it's got a lot of good info.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=32924&highlight=Myths

Another good one:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=45437&highlight=myths

mollymawk

-------------

Aeron

mollymawk said:
I re-order the deck periodically--then holding it in my hands I 'go through it' mentally. Just seeing each card in my mind, realising all that I'm holding in my hands.

I don't know if it corrects anything, but I find it a useful exercise.

I like that. I might start trying to do that.

SunChariot

I don't think decks ever need "correcting". It's just a matter what what makes you most comfortable. The only thing I do in that area is that after I complete a reading I unreverse any reversed cards. This is not because there is anything wrong with the energy of the deck. I prefer it to hold the energy of past readings in it and let the magic build up in it. It's just that I only use reversals about 50% of the time. So when I put a deck away I have no way of knowing if I will need reversals next time or not. And it is just inconvenient for me to pick up a deck where half the deck is reversed when I don't intend to use reversals.

Bar

Sebastien Michel

Faerun said:
this is a issue i recently ran into, is that some people will 'correct' their deck at a certain time re-ordering the deck back into its original state

Like many others I think that it's a question of being confortable or not with a way of proceeding with our deck. There is no good or bad answer...

Me, I use only the major arcana and I use reversed cards.

So for myself, I am unconfortable with using a deck with cards already shuffle and reverse for one person to another.

So I put my deck head upside and in numerical order between each person who consult me.

For me it's like to go in a restaurant and eat at a table who has not be clean from the previous occupant. I do not want it so I «clean» my deck. If I met a man who was broken, I do not want that my next client begin to shuffle with money cards already reverse LOL !

Sebastien Michel

ana luisa

I feel o.k. about "correcting" my deck because it´s not an independent entity, working on its own. We work together. And it´s a bit like marriage. if you feel something is not right, you should have the freedom to change that. Yes, I´ve unreversed cards that were upside down. And other times, I just "felt" that that was important. So I kept them that way. Go with your gut feeling.

Dulcimer

Can we stop calling it "correcting" the deck? It implies that it is ever "incorrect". And the fact that we keep putting "correcting" in inverted commas probably means we all think the same. If you want a word then "reordering" would be more accurate - only without the bunny-ears :)

At the end of a reading I always turn any inverted cards upright again as they seem particular to that reading but I don't put them back in order, preferring to have as much chaos in the deck as I can. That is after all why we shuffle them isn't it?.

SunChariot

Agreed, correcting sounds like there is something wrong with the deck or it has made an error. Tarot to me always gives us the right answers and it will work if and when and how you want it to. The rest is just putting it back in your order of preferance.

Bar