Any information about Rhodium, anyone?

sacredashes

I was wondering if anyone out there who's had experience with rhodium coated jewelry? I just purchased some rhodium coated materials which I was told would not cause allegies but I wanted to find out from someone who has had personal experience with it. Is it true, what are the set-backs, are there people who are allegic to rhodium, stuff like that.

Since this forum covers metals as well, I thought I'd give it a shot. :)

Thanks n peace 2 u,

Ash

crystalwoman

Rhodium is often used to plate all other alloys that people are sensitive too. It's the very most precious and expensive of all the precious alloys, even more precious than platinum. The only way you will know if you are allergic to it is to wear the jewellery and monitor yourself. If you start to feel even the tiniest bit of an itch while wearing it then take the jewellery off and try again the next day and monitor yourself again. It's possible you may be able to develop an immunity to it. Can you wear 18 ct gold? - if so then chances are you will not be allergic to rhodium.

Ruby7

I'm in the jewellery business and have worked with rhodium plating.

I've never known of anyone to react to rhodium itself, but the plating does wear off and you could react to whatever is underneath the plating.

Have you reacted to other metals in the past?

All the best,
Ruby7

sacredashes

Ignore this, thanks

OOps, double posting

sacredashes

Didn't think anyone would reply to this thread

Thanks crystalwoman & you too Ruby.

It's actually not for me, they're for the site I'm building up with my husband. I got some pretty useful feedback from AJ, another member about allergies.

I purchased clasps and jump rings that are plated in rhodium since she (my supplier) told me that it's the only thing she has that won't cause allergies. Thought I'd add in the option to change the clasps for buyers who are interested but are afraid they'll react to the nickel in the clasps I've used originally.

If you happen to check in on this thread again, crystalwoman.. sorry I didn't reply earlier. I thought it was going to be chunked into archives without a reply. I'm not allegic to nickel *fortunately* so I have no problems with the jewelry I make but some people would.

My mom who wanted all my Dzi beads turned into a necklace wouldn't wear it for more than a few hours at a time. Until I asked, I didn't know that she's allegic to nickel. The sacrifices a mother makes, huh? :) I think she has no problems with 18K gold jewelry so maybe I can change the clasp for her. Thanks for the tip.

Rudy, you mentioned that the plating wears off? Usually how long does it take for that to happen? Are we talking about weeks, months? My jewelry are priced pretty low and I really don't think gold or titanium are metals I can use at the price I'm charging. I can still handle the additional cost of offering rhodium plated clasps but I was wondering, what other options are out there?

It confuses me to see how silver necklaces are being sold at ridiculously low prices like $5 to $10 singapore dollars so I wonder how these people keep their costs so low? Are they using alternatives to silver or non-allergic silver lookalikes? It's too heavy for colored beads for sure, feels like some sorta metal.

Thanks in advance for your help.. both of you.

Ash

wizzle

I have bunches of rhodium plated jewerly, some of which I"ve had for 20 years.

Obviously, there is plating and there is plating. Some is substantial and some thin.

Most of the jewelry I own was high end rhodium plated over sterling silver and looks just as good today as when I bought it years ago. I have alergies and this is the least reactive metal with my skin. As you probably know, rhodium is in the platinum group. In terms of metal allergies, for me, best is platinum, then gold, then silver. I do get some skin reaction to silver if I don't keep it very very clean.

If you've found a good source of rhodiam plated over sterling silver, I think you have a good thing going.

sacredashes

wizzle said:
Obviously, there is plating and there is plating. Some is substantial and some thin.

Most of the jewelry I own was high end rhodium plated over sterling silver and looks just as good today as when I bought it years ago. I have alergies and this is the least reactive metal with my skin. As you probably know, rhodium is in the platinum group. In terms of metal allergies, for me, best is platinum, then gold, then silver. I do get some skin reaction to silver if I don't keep it very very clean.

If you've found a good source of rhodiam plated over sterling silver, I think you have a good thing going.

Hi ya, Wizzle...

I hope so, those little suckers cost the same price for 1/3 in quantity :)
I did some of my own research since I posted this thread, it seems that rhodium is not as easily processed as some other metals but is a pretty good alternative to gold and silver.

It's good to know from someone who actually owns such jewelries that it actually works. I was wondering if the lady gave me a sales pitch coz I really didn't know the first thing about what she said.

Thanks a bunch for your insight guys. MMuuack!! (that's kisses where I come from)

Ash

Briar Rose

I know some pretty high end jewelers that use rhodium over 18K white gold to give it luster and make it stronger. That's what they told me.

The jewelry I work for now says that's bunch of crap to plate Rhoduim. He wouldn't do it.

Platinum is for people have have allergies.

That's about all I know.

sacredashes

HeavensVault said:
I know some pretty high end jewelers that use rhodium over 18K white gold to give it luster and make it stronger. That's what they told me.

The jewelry I work for now says that's bunch of crap to plate Rhoduim. He wouldn't do it.

Platinum is for people have have allergies.

That's about all I know.

Hello HeavensVault,

Thank you for highlighting this, I find it very helpful. I was under the impression that rhodium is part of the platinum group and is found in platinum ores. Would you be able to clarify what this person meant? I'm a little confused.

Briar Rose

I will ask a jeweler more questions and I will reply back. Please give me a few days. It's Saturday right now. Thank you.