What Makes you Pull out a Deck?

all78degrees

Here's a question for all those who have a few decks in there collection. What makes you change from one deck to another? Is it an emotional thing - a tug that you can't explain? A controlled rotation? Or something else?

My problem is that I like spending time with a deck but then I feel that I'm ignoring the other ones so I force myself to change. Is it just me that does this?

gav.

darcellbishadow

all78degrees said:
My problem is that I like spending time with a deck but then I feel that I'm ignoring the other ones so I force myself to change.

I had that problem with all my stuffed animals when I was little. *cough**cough*. I don't have enough decks yet to have developed that feeling yet, but I understand where you're coming from. Try setting up a schedule of rotation. It helped me with my stuffed animals, and it should help you with your decks. However, don't be afraid to break the schedule. Maybe, somedays, you just feel like that SPECIAL deck.

Imagemaker

If I have a bigger/serious question, I pull out a long used old favorite. If all is well and I'm pulling 3 cards for "what's my day going to contain" I often go for something I've not used much, so the images are fresh and something unexpected pops out at me.

New images always interest me!

sharpchick

all78degrees said:
My problem is that I like spending time with a deck but then I feel that I'm ignoring the other ones so I force myself to change. Is it just me that does this?

gav.

I can identify with that to a degree. As I read it, I thought of several decks I have that I haven't read with in months.

But most of the time it depends on the type of question and who I'm reading for. A few people I read for have favorite decks they like for me to use for their readings.

For my own readings, I think of my decks in loose groups - some for spiritual readings, some for readings about work and I have one deck I use only on my altar.

Niti

I used to pick a deck because it would be the one that popped into my head first and/or felt right when I thought of something/someone I wanted to read for/about.

Sometimes, I would decide, for a few weeks or a series of exchanges, that I would restrict myself to one or two decks for the duration, and I was fine with that too.

Lately, however, I haven't had the urge to use any but the Hanson-Roberts. I have thought, briefly, that I might like a fresh look at something and pulled out another deck...even tried to read with two other decks, though it didn't feel quite right...but I haven't felt a connection at all.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not a constant thing for me. I used to be fine switching off often, feeling like certain images/types of decks would be best for a situation, but now I feel like it's more important to really connect with one deck.

I never felt bad about neglecting the deck(s) I didn't choose though. My feeling is that I will get an urge to read with them when the time is right. There is no point in reading with a deck you don't feel drawn to or connected with.

Baccus93

This is a really interesting question.

I choose decks based mostly on what the question is. That's because some spreads i use require reversals and I only reverse my RWS and my Golden Dawn tarot (Wang). My Thoth deck doesn't reverse, nor does my Ceremonial Magick deck. I have yet to use my Sacred Rose and my Fenestra decks. Oh, that one, is it called Hanson? The one that old girl friend gave me? I haven't used it in a while. It is reversed too.

Really good question! I am going to have to play with them all now. :) Now I know they feel lonely.

VivianneGaunt

Some of my decks are strictly for display...like the Dali deck (mainly because the cards are too big and too many people have touched it). For me though, it's certain cards that make me want to use certain decks. I absolutely adore the Hermit in Crowley's deck, and I also love the 7 of Cups in the Hanson-Roberts deck. My mood can sway my decision too....if I feel like keeping in touch with my roots, I'll use the Celtic or the Native American Deck.
It's very difficult to choose sometimes, because I love them all!!

- Viv

SunChariot

all78degrees said:
Here's a question for all those who have a few decks in there collection. What makes you change from one deck to another? Is it an emotional thing - a tug that you can't explain? A controlled rotation? Or something else?

gav.

Well I have 33 decks, and I alternate them all, I never like to use a deck twice in a row and I want them all to get used. So when I get ready to do a reading, I read over the list of decks I have and....then you just feel it inside. When you get to the right one, something inside goes "That's it! That's the one I need now. That's the one for this reading!"

I don't know if you feel it in your heart of in your gut reactions, but as soon as I feel it I know. I guess you would call that intuition. But it's never been wrong. I've even been called in that way to use decks I've had six months and more that have never read well for me. Then mysteriously they worked wonderfully in that particular reading.

I guess since I am such an intuitive reader, I choose decks in the same way.
:grin: It's like you get a jolt when you see the right one, like a lightbulb going off over your head. LOL

Oh and in your own case, my idea is that if you like something stick with it. Tarot, to me, is all about following your feelings. There are so many ways to do anything that what matters most is finding the way that feels right to you . If you like spending time with a deck that that is what you should be doing.
Stick with the deck you feel drawn to at the moment. Otherwise if you try to change before you are ready, you'll likely feel some kindof inner resentment and regret. And feeling that way about a deck you are about to read with won't help your readings any. When it's time for the others, then it will be time for them. But you can't rush that, you have to listen to your heart.

Bar

Lewen

I have been using my Robin Wood deck exclusively for a while now, but if another deck just seems to 'call out' to me, I would reach for that. I've gotten a couple of new decks for my birthday so I seem to be working more with them lately getting acquainted. But basically I just go with what calls out to me at that particular moment.

raventepes

I have 33 decks, and all of them are used for specific types of questions for the most part. To give examples, my Archeon is my primary romantic deck, and my renaissance is my finance deck. If I have someone who wants to know how things are going to manifest themselves, I use my Medieval Scapini or RWS. Likewise for spiritual questions, I use my Druidcraft or Roots Of Asia. For a kind of psycological analasys, I use my Thoth. Like I said...it all depends on the question...but sometimes it also depends on what I have with me at the time. I do however have a couple all pupous decks, one of which is the Quest, so I keep that one with me pretty much at all times.