Clients & drinks

mac22

Do you allow clients to bring drinks with them to readings & set them in your work area near the spread? How do others handle this?

Mac

Apollonia

It may be peculiar to this area, but I feel the people who walk into my reading room are anxious to "do things right," and tend to be extremely sensitive to feeling they did the wrong thing, so I avoid telling them what to do with their beverages, as it starts things off on the wrong foot. Sometimes querents haven't been to a Tarot reader before or have a sensitive issue, and their beverage can be a bit like a security blanket for them, something to hang on to. I just keep a coaster on hand, and say, "Here's a coaster for your drink." That usually reminds them to be careful, and I haven't had any problems with spills.

I will say that if you do this long enough, you will run into someone who will acknowledge the coaster, but then set their drink wherever they want to. It's almost as if they want to see what I'll do if they defy me. I don't engage, I just let them do what they want, and if something happens, it happens. I do keep a backup deck of my two main reading decks, so iin the back of my mind I know it isn't an utter catastrophe if something untoward should happen to one of them. I feel it's most important to make sure the querent feels comfortable.

Miren

I think the coaster idea is great! I can be a very controlling person, which I'm working on, so that's the subtle kind of thing which allows me to tell them what I want without using words or pressuring them. Because using coasters is kinda natural, we rarely feel that there's anything weird about it. They're there and they can be used.

I have to say that I'd be pretty pissed if someone spilled something on my cards. Of course, so far I only read online. ;) So querents can spill their drinks all over for all I care (of course, it wouldn't be fun for them to clean up).

Grizabella

I agree with Apollonia that you want your querent to feel comfortable and not as though they've done something wrong. And I agree that, for some, the drink may be like a security blanket.

The danger of having drinks spilled is a hazard of the trade, you could say, and you should just keep a spare deck of the one/ones you're working with. Or you could post a sign saying "no drinks in the reading area" or something similar.

Just putting out a coaster for the drink is probably the best, in my opinion.

Umbrae

Reading ain't about me - it's about the sitter.

When I was reading in bars, of course sitters had drinks. Some got spilled, no biggie...it's only tarot cards, the big issue is their life. Cards got wiped off, dried...readings continue...

The big question is, did they get the message they came for?

If I'm hung up about if they've got tea or coffee or a glass of Tuscan Sangiovese - I'm not going to be delivering the message, I'm not even going to get the message I'm supposed to give them!

So yeah...give them a coaster...then let it go.

You're a reader, not Martha Stewart.

Papageno

Umbrae said:

LMAO!!! :laugh:

thank goodness for that

*gasp* where's the oxygen tank *gasp*

souljourney

Likely I'd tell them to put the drink on the floor, because I want no risk of it spilling on my cards, etc.
SJ

Grizabella

Umbrae said:

If I'm hung up about if they've got tea or coffee or a glass of Tuscan Sangiovese - I'm not going to be delivering the message, I'm not even going to get the message I'm supposed to give them!

Exactly! :)

Little Baron

Dosn't bother me, to be frank.

A few drinks spilt, a stain here and there shows the journey that the deck and I have been through. If I had a deck I was too precious about, I doubt I would take it along to an occasion like that. But generally, the odd bit of this and that on my nicely worn reading deck is no big deal. I actually like the idea. When it happens once, you will loosen up and just get on with it.

LB

I remember reading in 78dow that the deck Pollack had had been used so much and in so many places that it looked like it had been handed down through centuries. I like the sound of that.

mac22

Umbrae said:
Reading ain't about me - it's about the sitter.

When I was reading in bars, of course sitters had drinks. Some got spilled, no biggie...it's only tarot cards, the big issue is their life. Cards got wiped off, dried...readings continue...

So yeah...give them a coaster...then let it go.

OK Umbrae :laugh: I get it...thanks

And yes I'm not a felon like Martha...:))

Mac