PDA

View Full Version : SG--Crystals & Gems... Things NOT to do with them


the hermit
17-09-2002, 05:46
At Pollux's suggestion I'm starting this thread to consolidate the list of things NOT TO DO with rocks, crystals and gems.

We've already discussed a bit about washing them, but let's reiterate...

Many of the wonderful and precious stones we've all collected for our pleasure as well as mystical and magickal uses are sensitive to liquids.

Beware of immersing any of the softer crystals such as Selenite or any other Gypsum rocks in ANY water or other liquid (I have a friend who was SHOCKED when her lovely rock crystal melted when she tried to purify it in water... it was a nice big Rock Salt crystal :) )

Also beware of immersing porous stones such as Turquoise or Lapis Lazuli. They can be damaged long term by water or salt water and soapy water can damage any gem stone that isn't sealed over the long term.

Also be careful when using salt around stones. Porous stones such as those mentioned above as well as Selenite and other Gypsum rocks can also be damaged by burying them in salt.

Another warning involves x-ray machines such as those at airports.
Crystals, in particular clear Quartz or other types of Quartz can be damaged (turned darker and cloudy) by irradiation and x-rays are irradiation. The newer, more powerful x-ray machines being installed at many U.S. airports could be particularly problematic. And remember that not just carry-on luggage is being x-rayed now. It is my understanding that the goal, at least here in america, is that ALL baggage will eventually be going through x-ray machines. This will NOT make them dangerous to you, but it will change the crystal.

I’m sure there are other warnings I’ve missed or forgotten.
What about the rest of you Aeclectician Rock-o-holics?

catlin
17-09-2002, 19:07
Never bring minerals such as turquoise, malachite, pearls and corals in contact with hairspray or perfume as they can damage them, too. Even the acid of your sweat may cause damage to such sensitive minerals.

Some ppl recommend salt to clean minerals but I do not use this for all my minerals. I prefer cleansing them in a bed of haematite chips and charge them in a bed of Rock Crystal.

Kyrielle
20-09-2002, 16:27
I've heard of long exposure to strong sunlight fading the color of Amethyst and Rose Quartz.

-- Kyrielle

the hermit
23-09-2002, 18:07
exposure to sunlight effects many stones and crystals.
i've read many authors stating that it can have an adverse effect.

i suppose that if you have a very pale amethyst that prolonged sunlight might fade it but i've never had any problems.

but in fact, the few times i've seen any effect was that it darked certain crystals and rocks.

it can cause carnelian to become a deeper red as can heat if enough is applied.

radiation such as xrays also can darken crystals and some unscruptulous dealers use it to create fake "smokey" quartz crystals.

ametrin
26-09-2002, 04:18
Just found this forum...wow! Why haven't I seen this before?? *smile*

Just want to add this list of stones not suites for elixirs etc.

I made this list a couple of months ago for a crystal healing mailing group I am a member for.
--------

Stones that should NOT be put in water to drink


Amazonite – use with caution, the color is a result of traces of copper, which is toxic)
Atacamite – poisonous (copper)
Auricalcite – Poisonous (zinc and copper)
Azurite – poisonous (copper)
Boji-stones – unfit – (contains some sulphur) There is some secrecy re it’s contents – which means you really should not drink it… (Would you take a pill you did not know the contents of?)
Bronchantite – unfit and poisonous (copper)
Cavansite – (copper)
Chalcantite (AKA “blue ****”) – poisonous (copper)
Chalcopyrite (peacock stone) – poisonous (copper and sulphur)
Cinnabar – poisonous (mercury/quicksilver)
Conicalcite – poisonous (copper)
Copper – poisonous
Crysocolla (AKA Venus-stone) – poisonous (copper)
Cuprite – poisonous (copper)
Dioptase – poisonous (copper)
Gem Silica – poisonous (copper)
Galena/ Galenite – poisonous (almost 90 percent lead)
Garnierite (AKA Genthite/ Falcondoite) – Contains nickel
Halite – will dissolve in water
Hematite – will rust
Lapis Lazuli – poisonous (the pyrite inclusions, that is…)
Magnetite – unfit (Iron, will rust)
Markasite – poisonous (sulphur) (marcasite has the same chemical make-up as pyrite)
Mohawkite – poisonous (copper, ARSENIC etc.)(Keep away from children!)
Psiomelan – poisonous (barium)
Pyrite (AKA fool’s gold; Inca-gold) – poisonous (sulphur)
Realgar – poisonous (sulphur and ARSENIC) (Keep away from children!)
Smithsonite (AKA Galmei/Zinc spar)– poisonous (zinc (may also contain copper))
Ulexite – The rock will loose its lustre when in contact with water
Vanadanite – Poisonous (lead)
Wulfenite – Poisonous (lead and molybdenum)
-----------

An updated list can be found at:
http://www.solarraven.com/f-55-TOXIC-STONES.html

ladycj
27-09-2002, 18:40
I know that Opals are very sensitive as well. I have been told that they need to be "oiled"? Although I'm not sure about this. But I do know that they can dry out and crack.

Blessings.

cjtarot
27-09-2002, 22:56
Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting this thread. I have printed it out.

As a newby to stones and crystals, the more I learn the better.

CJ

DeLani
11-11-2002, 08:06
Originally posted by ladycj
I know that Opals are very sensitive as well. I have been told that they need to be "oiled"? Although I'm not sure about this. But I do know that they can dry out and crack.

Blessings.

Yes, I have many friends who are jewelers, and they always keep their opals in little vials of purified water. Some of them are VERY EXPENSIVE jewelers, working with diamonds & such, so I trust that they know what they are doing when it comes to gems.

catlin
14-11-2002, 01:12
Yep, I can confirm this.

I have seen ppl on gem expositions keep opals in water, even the little splinters. I also make sure to "water" my opal at least once per month.

Kyrielle
27-03-2004, 01:09
Bump, due to recent upbringing of the subject again.

--Kyrielle

smokey
24-04-2004, 19:11
Greetings,
Recently ran across t/item in one of my new study books;& pay absolutely no attention to it,but it re: quote"there are particular
stones which most sources agree should be avoided by those under certain astrological signs,& those are possibly more important than..." I won't bore any/all w/this unless otherwise advised.All My Best

hedgecub
25-04-2004, 03:52
I soaked some of my crystals in salt water once, and it damaged one of my red jaspers. The red from a section of the stone dissolved into the water, leaving a clear section in the stone.

I'm not sure what happened there, but I'll post this just in case anyone else is thinking of soaking their red jaspers..

Majecot
25-04-2004, 16:00
Thank you for bumping this thread!
I have been wondering about exlirs and had not yet found a really good site that explained which stones to NOT use.

I think moonlight is probably the safest way to chagre crystal.

Kyrielle
23-05-2005, 12:43
Bump due to recent renewed interest.

Kyrielle

Emeraldgirl
24-05-2005, 09:29
Just to add to the elixir you should not use malachite when it is raw and unpolised due to the copper content. This also goes for wearing it against the skin. Polished stones are ok same goes for unpolished cinnibar (Dragon's Blood)

Violinagin
24-05-2005, 10:07
About the XRays affecting quartz.. Basically, you have gotten a piece of Smoky Quartz as natual radiation is what creates natural smoky quartz. So if you want a piece of smoky quartz, the best thing to do is walk through an XRay machine with your piece *laughs*

In case it happens to you, and you don't want it to happen, just heat your crystal in water. The heat causes the smoky color to go away.... even with natual smoky quartz!

skygreen
06-06-2006, 04:02
The Solarraven dot com domain was lost and has been sold to a marketing firm the list of toxic stones is now at
http://pjentoft.com/f-55-TOXIC-STONES.html

I do try to add to this from time to time so if anyone notices ommisions please let me know
Peggy Jentoft

Sherringham
06-06-2006, 08:10
On the cleansing of crystals I did know some were water soluable, and some salt soluable, but not all of either, so many thanx for this thread!! I have recently invested in a clear quartz cluster and now cleanse everything on that, and a gentle sloosh around in water while holding them in my hands to get dust etc off.