To read and make yourself clear to the sitter

finaflight

I`m not really sure if I am in the right place or not - perhaps I should ask books - but I`ll try here first.

Does anyone - while reading cards ever have a problem with putting into words what they are reading - If you do it for yourself, thats ok. But if you read for someone else - Sometime do you find that you can`t find the words to explain.
Is this just me - Perhaps I have to listen and learn for quite some time yet before I am able to find the words to explain what the cards are saying....Do I make sense to anyone?

I kind of looked at it like - Well if someone took a creative writing class - perhaps it would be easier to be understood - see what I`m saying?

cosmoline

thinbuddha

This is part of the reason that am reluctant to read for others. For me, it is more about confidence than anything else. In a lot of ways, it is something of a performance art. When reading for others, you can get stage fright.

The only way to get more confidence is to get more experience. Falling on your face (being at a loss for words) a few times is normal. Eventually, with practice, you will be able to read like a pro.

Break a leg!

-tb

Papageno

when you do a reading for yourself, step back and and go through it step by step and read aloud to yourself as though you were reading for a client. it's a really important exercise.
a creative writing course IMO is completely wrong. it will only serve to reinforce your tendency to internalize your thoughts.

you need to develop the ability to express yourself verbally in a coherent manner and communicate your thoughts effectively.

Papageno

thinbuddha said:
This is part of the reason that am reluctant to read for others. For me, it is more about confidence than anything else. In a lot of ways, it is something of a performance art. When reading for others, you can get stage fright.

The only way to get more confidence is to get more experience. Falling on your face (being at a loss for words) a few times is normal. Eventually, with practice, you will be able to read like a pro.

Break a leg!

-tb

this is a re-posting of my own experience years ago.

"I remember once early on, I was petrified.......I almost couldn't speak.....it was horrible. I thought I was going to die. and when the words came it was like opening the gates to Niagra Falls. :bugeyed:
in the end it was actually a good read interpretation wise but I had to follow it up later on in a email. fortunately the querent was impressed enough to overlook the attack of stage fright and eventually become a regular ."

Apollonia

trismegistus said:
when you do a reading for yourself, step back and and go through it step by step and read aloud to yourself as though you were reading for a client. it's a really important exercise.
a creative writing course IMO is completely wrong. it will only serve to reinforce your your tendency to internalize your thoughts.

you need to develop the ability to express yourself verbally in a coherent manner and communicate your thoughts effectively.

Just what I was going to say, only you said it better, trismegistus!

finaflight

Thank you everyone

yes it is alot to do with stage fright I think.

I dont really talk alot to people on a personal level. And I`m use to writing my thoughts down on paper now for years.

But yes, I just have to get out there and just do in order to stop the stage fright.
I have done a couple over the net, That is much easier - but I would like to do them in person. I read for a couple of family members and that is ok too. But to read for others would be a challenge.

I wouldn`t read in clas because my face use to go numb.

I will try that excersize..I`ll read my cards outloud when I`m aloan...that is a good idea....sounds like fun!

thanx again
cosmoline

Grizabella

I think this is something most of us have encountered. I think it comes from a lifetime of listening, seeing and reading, but not having to verbalize anything much about what we see, hear and read to another person. We're used to saying, "Oh wow" and "Awesome" and "that was a good movie" and such things instead, but not having to actually verbalize anything at length.

For instance, we don't have to go to a store window and tell a story about the items in the window. Instead we say "I saw a cute pair of shoes in the store window today". Or "I saw a great movie today" or "I heard this awesome song on the radio today" or "I read a great book last week".

Once you start actually putting words to the cards, though, you'll be like a child who has learned to talk fluently. Nobody will be able to shut you up. :p

Umbrae

Take everything that trismegistus and Lyric said…read it over and over again, because there are brilliant pearls hidden in their posts.

What follows is opinion – don’t get too excited…

When we have a head full of book meanings, we tend to look at a card and then attempt to capture everything we’ve read about the card and parrot it out.

When you find your own meanings (which over time will match book meanings) what really happens is they are self discovered. You don’t have to go into memory search mode to find the memorized meanings. Each card has developed into stories within stories. Parts and pieces of your own stories begin falling out of your mouth.

The creative writing approach may work well when reading over the net, where you’re expressing what you see through the written word – but to verbalize is to externalize.

So yeah – if you’re reading for yourself, do it out loud.

Go out to the library and hunt down some Dickens (‘A Tale of Two Cities’ comes to mind as a great example. Try reading the first chapter quietly to yourself.

Now read it aloud. Dickens was meant to be read aloud to the family. A chapter a night kind of reading aloud. The book comes alive. It is written in phrasing that only glows with the voice.

Brilliant prose!

Now I’m not saying you should read like Dickens writes…but it’s a great practice to begin to verbalize – to externalize.

Each spread is an opportunity to speak truth. It simply takes practice.

Read face-to-face at every opportunity, create the opportunities…it’s rewarding beyond words.

Grizabella

And even if you never read the cards again, keep reading Dickens out loud every night, anyway. ;) You'll be creating memories for your kids and grandkids that will last them the rest of their lives.

SarahRose

I have trouble with that a lot - being able to phrase things intelligently, clearly and accurately. Lately I've been reading aloud to "someone else" when reading for myself, as practice, since I have trouble going deep with readings for myself. Exercises like this will help, I think. :)