Readings for the non-definitive

tarotreader2007

Moderators: thank you :)
THIS IS A RANT :D:D:D:D:D...with questions :D

I really don't like it when people ask for a reading and then they say something like, "Just a general reading" when I ask them what they want to know about. What is with that? Why do something like that???? If you really need a reading, that's fine. But when you are doing okay and just need a "general" reading, that frustrates me to the max.

In fact, now, I think I'm going to create a spread just for people like this })

I'll keep you posted....pardon the pun.

Does anybody else have some little pet peive about this??? Does it just get under your skin?

BE SPECIFIC!!!!

I understand that with tarot, parameters have to be 'loose fitting' but jeez. Come on!!!! JUST ASK A GOD-DARN QUESTION!!!!!

"Oh, just a general reading is fine."

[size=+8]NO IT'S NOT!!![/size]

Please let me know your opinions.

*singsongy* Thank you

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

cheekyminx

Well, it depends on the reader ;)

When I visit tarot readers (outside of AT) I shuffle the cards, lay them out in three and choose a pile. The reader just starts to read the cards....once she's finished the reading, its then she asks "have you any questions?" Never have I been asked what would you liked answered. So that's face to face readings.

On AT, its mainly focused on a persons question at hand. Most times I have a specific question or area in life that needs clarification but other times I'm happy with a general, as I like to see what the reader can pick up, what needs to be addressed at this present moment.

tarotreader2007

Interesting. I like to sometimes do them to stretch out my intuition but I don't like it when people ask for a reading or (as on here) a reading is offered and someone just wants a general one.

Sigh

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

mollymawk

Don't have a problem with general readings. They seem as valid as anything else.

zach bender

zb does only general, and the question emerges from the answer.

zb

Grizabella

A general reading, if we're not experienced by a long time of reading for others, puts us outside our comfort zone. It's like when the teacher asks us to give an impromptu oral book report in front of the class instead of reading one we've written. All of a sudden, we've got to use our heads in a way that we're not comfortable with. It's more work and puts us on the spot.

One way to do it that I've found works well is to just do a three-card spread asking "what area of life does X need to take a look at?" and then when you've got a focus, you can go on with another spread that's addressing the area of life your first spread indicated.

Apocalipstick

A general reading can also allow for dialogue with the querent, which can yield a more textured reading than one geared toward a specific topic. This probably also depends on the reader and comfort level with the reading process.

Plus, I've noticed people who say they just want a general reading will end up inquiring about a specific topic anyway, particularly if they're comfortable with the "general reading." Sometimes, too, the cards will point to something specific anyway--it's just a matter of working with the querent to find out what it is.

Maybe it's just me, though. The vibe I get from the person is just as important as what the cards have to say. Also, I only do this in exchange for feedback, not monetary compensation, so I don't really have any pressure on myself to get things right, or nail it. A friend who reads professionally told me it took her a while to detach herself from a fear of failure, which is why she would often dread the "just a general reading, please" because she felt it left things so open-ended as to make it entirely too difficult to give a good reading.

tarotreader2007

Apocalipstick said:
A friend who reads professionally told me it took her a while to detach herself from a fear of failure, which is why she would often dread the "just a general reading, please" because she felt it left things so open-ended as to make it entirely too difficult to give a good reading.

This is how I feel. I mean, it's sort of like being so general that there is no place to start the reading. A lot of the time though, I like to spend an hour or so with a friend delving deeply into a topic and getting fantastic results. General readings to me aren't necessarily bad but to me they just connote a non-chalant attitude. It's probably just me as always :) but I just want to help someone out so much that when they ask for a general reading, it feels as if my time is wasted because I don't help the person even though I do.

Anyway, hope that helped clear the mist that shrouds all my readings in a layer of fine white mist :D

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

Sakura Murasaki

Although I have prefered specific questions in the past, I am actually beginning to move on to more general readings. I think that it's good practice in the area that Lyric mentioned - being put on the spot. It's very difficult for me to just "go for it" so I have to push myself. Most people, when they spot me and my Tarot and they want a reading, don't always know what to ask for, so instead of INSISTING they ask a specific question, I just take a breath, let it go, put out some cards, and just read. I'm still learning. I find that general readings can be more accurate because they point to whatever the querent is currently dealing with. Then that's when questions start to spring and dialogue is opened. :)

Grizabella

tarotreader2007 said:
but I just want to help someone out so much that when they ask for a general reading, it feels as if my time is wasted because I don't help the person even though I do.

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

I think the person who just wants a "general reading" often needs our help most. :) They're feeling confused and uneasy so they come for just a general reading in hopes we can give them the answers they need to clear up their confusion and help them find the right direction.