Yes/No Questions

GoddessArtemis

There are days when just want a yes/no response from tarot with a single-card throw.

But I can never quite figure out how to read cards for these types of questions. Sometimes, if the card I pull is a positive card (e.g., "The World"), I'll consider it a "yes" response to the question, and if the card is negative (i.e. "Death), it's a "no". But when I try to go with this method, I sometimes pull a negative card that seems to answer in the affirmative/or a "yes".

For example, if I ask if a relationship is over, and I get the 3 of Swords...by the method described above, a negative card is a "no". Except, 3 of swords is a card of heartache and break-ups, and so, the answer then becomes a "yes".

I've clarification cards, but that can confuse the issue, AND it defeats the purpose of single-card readings.

What methods do others use to answer yes/no questions?

GA

Tara2007

GoddessArtemis said:
There are days when just want a yes/no response from tarot with a single-card throw.

But I can never quite figure out how to read cards for these types of questions. Sometimes, if the card I pull is a positive card (e.g., "The World"), I'll consider it a "yes" response to the question, and if the card is negative (i.e. "Death), it's a "no". But when I try to go with this method, I sometimes pull a negative card that seems to answer in the affirmative/or a "yes".

For example, if I ask if a relationship is over, and I get the 3 of Swords...by the method described above, a negative card is a "no". Except, 3 of swords is a card of heartache and break-ups, and so, the answer then becomes a "yes".

I've clarification cards, but that can confuse the issue, AND it defeats the purpose of single-card readings.

What methods do others use to answer yes/no questions?

GA

Pretty much the same as you do. If the card is something I'm not too sure about, such as perhaps the 9 of Wands, which could go either way, I try to think of how that applies. Does it look like the goal is almost reached? Or do I need to go back to square one?

Your example of 3 Swords for a break-up is a good one. I have gotten that card and 8 of Cups as well and I consider them both to indicate that there is or will be a break up. It just seems to go with the question.

I've had those "positive" cards such as 2 of cups or Queen of cups as answers to "will she be finding a new love" and consider it to be a sure "yes". Then of course there's The Devil or The Chariot that can come up for the same question and I have to stop and try to apply them. Is she looking for a sexual thing instead? Or does she need to move on to greener pastures? Finally, I just have to take what seems right based on what I know, and go with it. I think that's about the best we can do. Or the best I can, at any rate.

artgoddess

What I like to do is make the majors yes, but the advice on the card must be followed to be a yes. For an outright yes/no, in the minors are this:

odd numbers, knights, and kings are no's
even numbers, pages and queens are yes's

I like to keep things as simple as possible!!!!

artgoddess

Greywoolfe

I tend to use three cards for a yes/no. All three upright, is most likely yes. All three reversed is most likely no. Two uprights is probably yes, two reversals is probably no. Basically, the more uprights, the more the likelihood of a yes outcome. I don't like to use a definite yes or no, as the future is not set in stone.

Mellifluous

I've used the same method as Greywoolfe's but sometimes with five cards. I rarely do it, but sometimes. Just pick one method and stick to it.

I think any of the interpreting-the-actual-cards methods will be problematic because they are just too complex and layered for a simple yes or no. If you're an experienced reader you'll have too many prior associations with all of them, too.

Good luck! :)

GoddessArtemis

Mellifluous said:
I think any of the interpreting-the-actual-cards methods will be problematic because they are just too complex and layered for a simple yes or no. If you're an experienced reader you'll have too many prior associations with all of them, too.
I agree, that's part of the problem. I think I read too much into the cards.

I also don't use reversals, so that leaves me with: Positive cards (regardless of it's interpretation) means YES, and negative cards means NO. It'll be difficult not to read into the cards, but I'll have to keep it simple.

Thank you, all!

GA