PDA

View Full Version : Old computers and cookies and passwords!

Red Emma
16-02-2007, 17:54
This past week I've been sequestered on our second floor since no one wants to be exposed to my (very mean) cold germs.

There's an old computer up there which I've been working with during my isolation, however, I can't get through to ATF with it. Which I think is weird. The old computer has the same email address as this (newer) one, and is connected to the same server. My husband said he thinks that cookies might be involved. And, according to me, they might well be. It's just that I can never remember what cookies are.

On the old computer, when I try to access ATF I'm asked for my password. Probably this could solve my problem. The thing is, I can't remember that either.

I always jot passwords down in a file, but when I looked for the ATF password, it wasn't there. (Bummer!)

So now what do I do? I have this (newer) computer which seems to be well supplied with cookies and a password, so if I change my password for the old computer, will it affect the access this (newer) computer has?

As you can tell, I'm in need of some help.

Thanks, Guys!

Red Emma

Grizabella
16-02-2007, 22:39
I can answer this, at least in part.

Yes, if you change your password for the old computer, you'll need to change it for the new computer. :)

I know about passwords. I don't know much about cookies except "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips"----but then, those aren't the same kind of cookies. :D

Patrick Williams
16-02-2007, 22:49
If you're having a cookie problem, then go to Tools, Internet options (or the like, depending on the browser you're using) and 'enable cookies'. Entering the word cookies in Help ought to show you how to do this, no matter what browser you're using.

As to passwords: I never let a computer remember my passwords for me, just because of something like this. If I'm away from home, or in the event that my computer crashes or is somehow otherwised disabled, I can still access all my stuff because I enter the password every time I log on and therefore know them.

Lillie
17-02-2007, 07:00
Yeah, you ned to have cookies enabled for this site.

But it would be a good idea to change your password to something you know, and then sign in on both the old computer and the new and the old cookies will be replaced by nice new one.

The reason this is a good idea is because sometimes cookies expire, or if you have a computer problem they can get deleted.
This would mean that even on the new computer you would not be able to sign in, because your cookies would be gone.
And then you would have no way of signing in because you wouldn't know your password.

gregory
17-02-2007, 07:13
If you have lost your password, e-mail Solandia and she will (I believe...) e-mail it to your registered address - or set you a new one and e-mail you that one. Then you can change it to whatever.

Tarotphelia
18-02-2007, 15:31
You really don't need cookies for anything except shopping . They are tracking devices so that the retail world can compile your personal profile .And every website you visit can track everywhere else you've been . In other words , although they have some legitimate applications , they are spyware .

I enable them for buying something , delete them afterwards , and then disable them again . If I look in the options of area of my browser right now and select cookies , there aren't any there .There are some websites you can't see unless you have the cookies enabled , and if that's the case I usually make a point not to bother with them .

If I wanted to go into the control panel and change things like my password or my email address, then I would have to enable cookies to accomplish that .

gregory
18-02-2007, 19:08
This place works better with cookies.............

Solandia
19-02-2007, 11:23
At ATF cookies are optional (though they help with staying logged in when browsing), and we do not have any third-party cookies that track usage across other websites.

Some info on what cookies do in general is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie), and specifically on ATF is here (http://www.tarotforum.net/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_use_cookies), if anyone would like to know more.

~ Solandia

mgrace
19-02-2007, 13:13
Maybe this is already made clear in the messages you've received.

I think the simplest starting point -- and it may do the job -- is to find out what your current AT password is (as mentioned; write to Solandia). Then, when the old computer asks for log-in and password, just type it in there. I think do that before you try anything more complicated. ...Hope it works!

gregory
19-02-2007, 19:33
Sorry Solandia - I didn't mean to suggest that YOUR cookies were bad; it's just it is (as you say) so much easier to stay logged in here if you use them ! and don't we all want to stay here....!