What do you do when box is worn/torn?

sacredashes

I'm not refering to the big box that keeps the book and deck together upon purchase, I'm refering to the box that the cards are kept in. With frequent use, flaps will tear and the edges get worn.

I used to tape the box with scotch-tape but they looked sort of ugly with tape running all round it. What do you do when the original box that comes with the cards get worn or torn?

Reason I'm asking this is because my nephew just showed me a way of making cigarette boxes, sturdy ones that don't crumple that easy. Because the flip-top box is more convenient than having to carefully fit in the flap after use each time, I was thinking to use the same technique to make replacement boxes for my cards.

Anyone out there make their own replacement box? Any advice/suggestion?

Bat Chicken

I have taken to using wooden boxes or sturdy leather bags for my most frequently used decks. I don't keep them in their original boxes. I am one of those anal people who loves pristine stuff - so I find if I want to trade, everything goes in perfect condition - even the box! OCD?? Nah.... ;)})

So I would suggest you put aside the original box and find something else to protect your cards... You should be able to find something pre-made... or sew leather?

Grizabella

I either put the deck in a wooden box or in a bag. If I could find plastic boxes that were decorative and the right size, I'd use those. I'm always in need of bags, though, because I prefer those for ease of carrying around and because they're quite easy to store. They don't take up so much room. I just like the feel of them, too.

I make bags from buckskin for some of them if it seems to suit them.

raventepes

I'm pretty much the same way. I'll either put the deck in a wooden box or a bag or something.

SarahRose

I was wondering this recently too - what I can do to keep my boxes looking okay.

I have bags for several of my decks, but there are three that still need bags, so they're in the boxes right now. Two are in pretty good shape still, but I got one of the decks used as it was, so it's not holding up well, lol. I would suggested buying or making bags. My friend made me one that was just some really cheap fabric (the $.50 a yard kind) and a little yarn and some sewing. On a sewing machine, it's like a 30-second project, lol.

Dwaas

Duct tape does miracles, also in keeping boxes together that are about to fall apart.

mgrace

sacredashes said:
...my nephew just showed me a way of making cigarette boxes
I don't keep the deckies in their orig boxes, as I know that eventually they'll come to the state you describe. Am going to check the threads mentioned in the following messages, but am very interested in the method you learned from your nephew!!! -- as the other reason I don't like to use the orig boxes is that the cards hit against the flap in the bottom, and their's some dualing of cards to box flap (does that make visual sense). I wonder if you could possibly describe -- ?

Abrac

Hard to go wrong with duct tape. :D