The Perfect System

Satori

This idea came to me today. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I put it here in TT.

We get asked a lot Why does Tarot Work?

I started to think, well why does it.
And it hit me.

Imagine a Molecular Biologist.
That person has to learn the language of her system. She needs to learn how to speak in the symbolic language of the system she has chose. Perhaps her system uses complex mathematical equations and includes the language of other systems...other disciplines. And so ultimately she becomes an expert in her system. Now she can create in her system. She can become creative and run experiments, she can dream up new philosophies that work within her system, within the limitations of her system.

In a way, she has become a bit god-like.
Creation and destruction are within her grasp and she can build up or tear down what she creates. Perhaps destruction is part of the learning process and she becomes very good at destruction, at distilling things down to simpler systems....

But then she might get stuck. She might not be able to take the last tiny step toward completion of an experiment that will open new vistas of opportunity for her and so she is dead in the provervial water for a time. What to do?

Suppose there is a system that contains the language of every other system. It contains the symbols of every other system.
It knows completely every other system and how the other systems work, where some of them overlap, where they juxtapose where they will never meet and why the work or don't work.
Suppose this other system was so perfect that because it knew all these things it also knew that the "operators" or experts in this perfect system were a diverse bunch of people. They knew different things about the system, they used different approaches to the perfect system, they understood different layers of this perfect system, but not one of them understood the system in it's entirety nor could they ever.

So this is why the molecular biologist could approach someone who was an "expert" in the perfect system and ask a question and get an answer that was perfect and simple and a touchstone for the solution of her dilemma.

I propose the perfect system is Tarot.
And we are known by Tarot, so that is why the meaning comes to us right when we need it...the symbol speaks to us in a way that unlocks something personal to us that answers a question for a stranger.

Because we are using a system that contains everything ever thought, or spoken or dreamt. And we can access that system and deliver answers that we do not understand nor do we need to understand.

Why does yes or no not always work well?
Because yes or no is so often so very limiting.
Nothing is ever just yes or just no. Our perfect system wants to breath in the layers of fragrance that combine to make up a life and deliver back something richer than just yes or just no. Yes or no leaves room for confusion and denies personal choice.

So when we access the database of this perfect system we are co-creating with a wonderful ancient fount of knowledge. And this is an awe inspiring responsibility.

zach bender

I would say that my particular adaptation to tarot has helped bring me into a "system," to use your word, that I had merely glimpsed previously.

zb

Nholdamek

I totally agree here. And we can't ever let this system be taken for granted or not appreciated as fully as it should be (by ourselves mostly I mean). Because what we do is amazing by the standards of most people. I mean that we do something that most people would not normally consider possible. And yet we do it consistently and with great accuracy. Most people might just look to a Tarot reader for perhaps a different outlook, or even just for fun or because they're bored. But do most of them not familiar with this, I dare say art, ever expect us to be able to look directly into their situation as if we were let in on every little detail, and then go and tell them what the outcome will be? I don't think so. Yet let us never take credit for it, for it's not we who are responsible for that power behind the Tarot, or that power behind any form of divination. We're just the ones that interpret it and translate it into everyday language.

Not 100% on topic lol, sorry. I've thought about this a lot, though, and no one will listen to my thoughts so, they spilled out here. :p

artgoddess

I often thought of this before, except using the word "system", I like to use
the word "instinct". The unfortune thing is with instinct is that there are too
many people who don't use it because they are afraid to use it(they might think it makes them too animalistic), they have forgotten how to use it, or
they think humans don't have instinct(sociologists, usually). That's why I
think the Tarot is a wonderfull thing. It helps put our instinctual feelings in
words instead of wondering or being afraid of why we are feeling a certain
about a situation.

I think I went off the subject slightly, but I'm sure there are others on this
website that understand what I'm talking about.

artgoddess

andrew

I agree. It's a perfect system. Because it's an open, free system. Individual interpretations, archetypes, and the fact that there's 72 cards make possibilities endless, as well as readings. I think each card contains something that a person can identify with, some aspect of their personality. I think of reading Tarot like being in the company of a trusted therapist. They can show you things from a different point of view, like an outside observer. This makes it a great system in the decision making process!
Excellent post!

tmgrl2

elf said:
And we are known by Tarot, so that is why the meaning comes to us right when we need it...the symbol speaks to us in a way that unlocks something personal to us that answers a question for a stranger.

Jeesh...I love this!! "We are known by Tarot." How cool is that??

terri