shadow cards

r0sered1ster

I'm just learning the tarot and have come across the term "shadow cards" on a few occasions, I feel silly for asking but can anyone help me understand what this term means and how exactly are they used?

euripides

I don't always use them as often I select cards from a fanned deck. If I am doing a single card or cut the deck into piles, I'll take the card from the top of each pile, and the one from the bottom is the shadow card.

Generally to me the shadow card suggests something hidden or unacknowleged - for example, the querent isn't telling me something about an issue, or hasn't admitted to their real feelings about something.

r0sered1ster

cards

Can I use the same situation you described to do a daily draw for myself? What you described helps out a lot! Thank you, sometimes I can just feel if something is hidden or not said when dealing with someone. Unfortunately it doesn't come to me on a reliable basis! (ha, ha)

euripides

well yeah, of course. Take your daily from the top, and your shadow from the bottom, that's your two cards for the day.

Realistically you could draw your shadow from anywhere, so long as the intent is there, but I think it kind of makes sense that it is furthest from the drawn card.

Ambience

Nice method

euripides said:
well yeah, of course. Take your daily from the top, and your shadow from the bottom, that's your two cards for the day.

Realistically you could draw your shadow from anywhere, so long as the intent is there, but I think it kind of makes sense that it is furthest from the drawn card.

I really like this method, I'll try putting it to use on a daily basis. I always find actually the cards under what i've drawn negative cards, maybe i should be reviewing these.

r0sered1ster

I'm starting a journal of my daily draws and had the idea of adding the shadow card to it. What methods did you use when learning the tarot?

euripides

if you do a quick search you'll find some threads on learning and journalling that you might want to add to, rather than sending this thread too far off track.

Here's a couple of shadow card threads
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74417
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53790

I did a lot of book reading, and daily draws and some bigger spreads and journalling. Journalling is handy because often a spread is obscure at first and you think you've drawn rubbish, but its later you realise what it meant or was referring to. Or sometimes something will happen and you think, "I'm sure I drew a card about this..."

You'll find various views on learning here and often arguments about different approaches to Tarot - don't let it confuse you, just find a way that works for you, but keep an open mind to trying new things too.

Lately I've been choosing a card from the deck (rather than drawing at random) and making that my card for the day - my card to meditate upon, focus upon for the day. Works well for me.

Join a beginner reading exchange, its great practice reading for other people. I'm still learning myself, too.

Myrrha

I use this method for daily draws. The card on the bottom represents the underlying reason for a situation or for whatever is suggested by the top card. It represents something that may be hidden or not-obvious, perhaps an underlying motivation.

--Myrrha

franniee

shadow card

I've been using a shadow card from the beginning and I never knew it was called that! WOW!

When I do a reading for someone I have them shuffle etc and when I get the deck back I draw the cards for the reading from the top but I always look at the bottom card in the deck - for me this is usually the underlying card of the reading - what is going on - what the reading is really about

BUT I never knew it was called a shadow card! Thank you for your question!

celticnoodle

i also never heard of the term 'shadow' card. i like that. i never did use it prior to reading of it being done here on A.T. and have occaisionally included it in my readings since then. sometimes it does really seem to have more of a message for the reading---maybe i'll have to begin doing this on a regular basis.

i guess i'll have to get back to journeling again too, just to keep track of this shadow card. i am not great at that, but recently have been thinking it's time to start it up again. no time better then the present with this new idea. thanks for explaining the term!