Rota Taro Orat Tora Ator

brujablanca

I came across the phrase "ROTA TORA ORAT TORA ATOR" in Tarot for Your Self by Mary K Greer. The book says it means "The wheel of Tarot speaks the law of Hathor". Does anyone know the origin of this phrase and possibly an insight to its meaning?

Thank you

Alpha-Omega

brujablanca said:
I came across the phrase "ROTA TORA ORAT TORA ATOR" in Tarot for Your Self by Mary K Greer. The book says it means "The wheel of Tarot speaks the law of Hathor". Does anyone know the origin of this phrase and possibly an insight to its meaning?

Thank you

I think its from all the diffrent root words Tarot comes from

Rota: the wheel, or cycle
Taro: the Tarot, or Book of Thoth
Orat: speaks or teaches (verb)
Tora: the Torah, or Law
Ator: Hathor, the goddess of love.

Hence, The wheel of Tarot speaks the law of Hathor, or The cycle of Tarot teaches the law of love.

Torah (Hebrew), "The Law - Law Giver"
Thoth Egyptian god
Tarosh (Egyptian), "The royal way"
Torah -Torus in Sacred Geometry
Taurus Astrology
Rota (Latin), "Wheel" - Wheel of karma - Wheels Within Wheels
Taro River in Northern Italy
Taru (Hindu), "Cards"
Troa (Hebrew), "Gate"
Tares, meaning the dot border on old cards
Tarotee, meaning a pattern on the backs

Chronata

That's interesting! I always wondered if there was an actual phrase when you put all the possible words together from the letters T A R O.

I like that each has a different meaning in and of itself.

You can start anywhere on the Wheel of Fortune...and read around the circle to find the word that means the most to the particular reading you are doing.
What a cool idea.

Nerd

I don't think this "phrase" is old or attested from historical sources, though...I think it was dreamed up in the 19th century by antiquarians and mystics. Anyone with more info on this?

If i am right, however, it was conceived along the lines of genuinely old magical phrases, such as

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

This is an early Christian or possibly Mithraic charm which is at once a palindrome, a "magic square" (reads the same in columns as in rows) and a charm built entirely from the letters of "Pater Noster," or "our father."

Rosanne

If you write Tarotarotarotaro in a circle returns to itself without end.
Mathers in 1888 was the first to include arrangements of the word TARO- which was supposed to relate to a association of a Major Arcana- one example being Rato = Temperance. ~Rosanne