Are you doing Fortune Telling ?

TheOld

Hello everybody,

I use tarot for evolution / communication with the uncounscious/ Meditation or whatever name you use but sometimes people ask me for to do fortune Telling (tell me if i will find the man of my dreams this year etc...)

it just bother me because i much more prefer to think that people are master of their life and can changes it ...

So when people ask you things like that, do you play the games or do you tell them ???

Thanks
Omeada

jmd

The title "fortune telling" has been, as far as I'm concerned, much maligned in the past decades, in great part, I would suggest, as a consequence of various localised regulations that specifically prohibits such.

Yet, many who read tarot in a divinatory fashion do, in one way or another, engage in 'telling' (speaking or developing a narrative) what a card or sequence of cards suggest - very much as 'revealed' by Fortunae.

I would suggest a good read through an earlier thread, opened by Kiama, titled Reclaiming "Fortune Telling".

lark

I say, "Lets see what the cards have to say."

I believe without reservation that the cards can predict the future.
I have experienced it over and over in reading for others.

Alan Ross

If the idea of predicting a "fixed" future bothers you, you could try encouraging them to rephrase their question. For example, instead of "tell me if i will find the man of my dreams this year," you could do a reading for "what do I need to do to give myself the best possible chance of finding the man of my dreams this year." This emphasizes that they need to be active participants in the future they help to create.

franniee

fortune telling

I say as well "let's see what the cards have to say..."

I do use it for evolution and communication absolutely! When I read I bring up things that are going on most possibly on a subconscious level with the querrant that maybe they didn't realize or didn't think to consider it. I see it as an opportunity for the querrant to grow spiritually

do I use them for divination? Absolutely. I believe that they will tell me what we need to know - what is going on - what to look out for

In your example if they are asking if they will meet the person of their dreams, this year? I agree with Alan - I will draw the spread and see what it says, but most often then not the cards will illuminate trouble spots or growth aread for the querrant to concentrate on so they can acheive their goal - if that is truly what they want.....sometimes they ask for something they don't want.....

Grizabella

jmd said:
The title "fortune telling" has been, as far as I'm concerned, much maligned in the past decades, in great part, I would suggest, as a consequence of various localised regulations that specifically prohibits such.

Yet, many who read tarot in a divinatory fashion do, in one way or another, engage in 'telling' (speaking or developing a narrative) what a card or sequence of cards suggest - very much as 'revealed' by Fortunae.

I would suggest a good read through an earlier thread, opened by Kiama, titled Reclaiming "Fortune Telling".

In the thread you provide the link to, it's mentioned that people don't want to be called a "fortune teller" because of the stigma due to people like Miss Cleo and others. Well, that's like saying I don't want to be called a "mother" because of people like Susan Smith and the lady who sold her baby to get a car, isn't it?

Good link by the way, jmd. I bookmarked it. :)

People familiar with tarot readers who go to them regularly for guidance are more into what TheOld talks about. They go for some deeper insight.

But a lot of people who are going to a reader for the first time simply go wanting to have their fortune told. I've seen them nudge each other and grin and come feeling quite daring that they're going to a "fortune teller". I don't mind that one bit. We've all heard the tales of "Great aunt Sybil was told by a fortune teller that she'd marry a guy with dark hair and dark eyes who would sweep her off her feet and she'd have a gazillion kids and live happily ever after----and it actually happened!" So they get excited and, on the spur of the moment, knowing I read cards, they want to come and get their "fortune told". Do I tell them they'll meet a handsome hunk and live happily ever after? Not unless I see it in the cards, but then, they don't usually ask me about that, anyway.

But I'm still a fortune teller. :)

franniee

my experience with fortune tellers

I was addicted to being read and began in my late teens - I was fascinated by it. Immediately I was able to discern a gifted reader from a mediocore one to an out and out charlatan - doesn't mean I didn't allow them to continue or that I let on that I knew - I loved the whole process and was in search of something. I can remember through the past 20 years the ones that were so very gifted that they knocked my socks off! What fun that was for me!
I had an israeli woman who read a deck of playing cards in this scary room in a public housing project - she only spoke hebrew - I didn't understand a word of hebrew (I had brought a friend with me who translated) - but I didn't need the translation - I knew what she was saying to me I could see it in her eyes and when she spoke I could understand what she was saying - she was awesome - unfortunately for me since what I was asking about was the health my brother
In 2000 I happened upon a woman who predicted with uncanny accuracy and great detail the coming of my husband which happened 2 months later. She described it to a T - I aspire to be like her and if I was labeled a fortune teller I would embrace it with love and happiness as a gift from above.

TheOld

After reading the JMD link and this one
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=75947

i'v come to somes conclusions

first, most of peoples are living on habit, they are verry predictable so it should be easy to predict a futur that will not change a lot with times(in shamanism we say that their rope are short)

second, only people that are working actively in destroying their habit and restructuring their ego are not predictable but they will not ask for fortune telling as they know how to change it, and there's not a lot of them(anyway they are the ones who will ask about deeper reading).

so i'm now feeling verry good about doing fortune Telling and i will be able to do it whitout the old reservation i was having :)

Thanks folks and you can continue to write comment as it can help us go even deeper on the subject :)

Omeada Lusvam

Grizabella

(((((TheOld :heart: )))))

I miss seeing you around here. Glad to see this thread.

Miren

I think that's a great summary, TheOld. Probably why some spreads label the concluding card "Outcome if things continue the same" or somesuch.