Kava - tea

Empath111

Just thought I'd post this since I was unaware...I've been having herbal teas to relax lately, and tried a new one yesterday with Kava in it (Yogi Tea). WOW....did it bother my stomach!! I've been yuck all day - I guess this can be a side effect in some people:(

Briar Rose

Thank you for sharing that. I often buy teas.

Thank you for the heads up. And I hope you feel much better soon.

ravenest

Kava? Is that the same drink made in certain Pacific islands? If so it is narcotic. Even when taken traditionally it has a ritual to go with it, including clapping three times. After a few sips your tounge and lips tingle and go numb. Not surprised it could upset a sensative tummy!

thinbuddha

I drink that all the time. It is narcotic (though not nearly as much as what ravenist describes- I think that this is a weaker blend).

I've never had problems with my stomach from this tea, but I have a strong stomach for narcotic herbs :p

But seriously- you might try it again, because I've never had any problems with it at all, and I have found it a very plesant bedtime tea (it helps me sleep when closing my eyes doesn't work).

Empath111

thinbuddha said:
I drink that all the time. It is narcotic (though not nearly as much as what ravenist describes- I think that this is a weaker blend).

I've never had problems with my stomach from this tea, but I have a strong stomach for narcotic herbs :p

But seriously- you might try it again, because I've never had any problems with it at all, and I have found it a very plesant bedtime tea (it helps me sleep when closing my eyes doesn't work).
ugh....I can't even imagine...
I've been ACTIVELY sick all day - started with heartburn then nausea....and then the unmentionable for hours:( ehhh

I did have some last night too - and thought it was the honey that made me "icky". But today I had no honey....and the brew was a lot stronger.
Must just be that I am sensitive to it -

Wandlimb

My dad drinks that Yogi Tea. It reeks!

Empath111

Wandlimb said:
My dad drinks that Yogi Tea. It reeks!
LOL - yeah, it does! I just thought because I was nauseous the smell was bothering me(especially because that is what caused the nausea!), but it is NOTHING like the spearmint/chamomile smell other teas (for relaxing) have.

I can finally hold something down today-LOL. It really did a number on me yesterday....must be some sort of reaction I had....who knows, maybe I'm allergic to Kava?

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else tries it - you may want to test it in small doses first;)

aurorarose

I have enjoyed this tea, but my husband was concerned because he thinks that kava is a stimulant. Maybe it works like ritalin.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have been studying herbs for a few years now and most practitioners say that people have very individual reactions to herbal remedies. What works for one, will make someone else sick even if they have the same "problem," because the underlying causes are often different.

Sophie

Kava kava is not a stimulant - it's relaxing. I have been taking kava kava for two weeks, for anxiety and low-level depression, and it's done wonders. My sleep problems have disappeared, but I am not sleepy during the day, just relaxed. But you shouldn't take it for long - my herbalist has put me on a one-month course - because it can have side-effects on the skin, liver and stomach. I wouldn't recommend taking kava kava without consulting a professional herbalist.

Liz C

My family uses the kava tablets for sleeping problems/insomnia. It works very well, and I'd rather take something natural than sleeping tablets from a doctor.

We only ever use them occaisonally, and for no more than a week. Usually, after a few nights of taking it, you feel better and are sleeping better. It helps to end the cycle of insomnia.

In Australia, you are only alowd to buy kava tablets from a naturopath...you can't buy them over the counter/without advice. However, most naturopaths are happy to give them to you.