PDA

View Full Version : A Crystal Ball...

HearthCricket
09-03-2007, 03:50
I am now interested in finally purchasing a crystal ball for scrying. This is something I have been practicing a bit of, on my own, with a few things, and would like to use a crystal ball. Anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a nice one-not ebay, please! Thank you!

lark
09-03-2007, 04:01
www.phoenixorion.com has a nice selection.

These are the large ones click to see detail.
http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/gallery/gl39lgcrystal.htm

the one you see is actually the one you get.

Alta
09-03-2007, 04:09
Hi Hearth Cricket,

I fell for a crystal ball in a local shop recently, and it was $200 Cdn. After I got it home I started searching the net to see if I paid a reasonable price, and was relieved to see that I likely had.

Of all the sites I checked, this one seemed to have the nicest quartz balls.

http://mineralminers.com/html/rkxsphs.stm

The sphere I got has large clear areas, and large diagonal fault lines which reflect beautifully and give internal rainbows. They seem to note this in the descriptions of their spheres.

thinbuddha
09-03-2007, 04:42
I know you said no ebay, but you can get better deals on ebay (with buy it now prices) if you are willing to wait 6 weeks for shipping & customs....

Sweet Irish Angel
09-03-2007, 05:02
www.phoenixorion.com has a nice selection.
they look fab and so so cheap too :)
Wonder will they ship to Ireland

Sweet Irish Angel
09-03-2007, 05:03
Marion $200 oh my that was very expensive dont you think, altho it is very pretty :)

lark
09-03-2007, 05:34
they look fab and so so cheap too :)
Wonder will they ship to Ireland
I don't know if they will or not you can try contacting them...
I have ordered many things from them and the quality is wonderful...I especialy like there crystal ball holders.
They have some unusual ones that i have never seem before.
I have the frog, the vine and the butterfly in the pewter section and i have ordered three of their colored crystal balls a green, violet and blue...I'll see if I can get my daughter to use her digital camera and maybe I can post a picture.

HearthCricket
09-03-2007, 06:45
Those are lovely, Marion, but sadly, almost every single one is already sold. :(

Alta
09-03-2007, 07:10
Those are lovely, Marion, but sadly, almost every single one is already sold. :(Suspect it is one of those sites where you keep going back. Maybe even email and inquire when shipments might arrive perhaps?

HearthCricket
09-03-2007, 07:22
Marion~What size did you get? I was surprised at how small some are. Almost like pocket crystal balls.

Hehehe....Let me look into my crystal ball! (Dives into purse and grabs one out) Let's see what the future holds for you! :)

Alta
09-03-2007, 08:27
Marion~What size did you get? Holding the tape measure across the top and looking down, I would say 3.75" in diameter.

It has several large completely clear areas and lovely fault sheets that just make gorgeous rainbows (I was totally seduced. :D :D )

celticnoodle
09-03-2007, 08:29
My first ball was purchased in a New Age store. lots of these around, especially near college towns, it seems. however, the 2nd ball I purchased as a gift for my mother and found it in a mall of places! it's very small, but i liked that, as my mother is elderly now and has arthritis, so I did not want anything too big and heavy for her. She is beginning (since Christmas) to have some results, (though she is a natural!), so it seems like it was a good buy.

I heard (here on AT?) that a smaller ball is actually easier to read from! I never would have thought, and now, I wish I would have purchased two of the small ones at Christmas. It was a kiask, and now the guy is not there---guess he is only around at Christmas. My loss.

But, see if you can locate a New Age store near by you.
Good luck!

HearthCricket
09-03-2007, 11:59
Unfortunately all the New Age stores went out of business, so I would have to take a trip into Salem, which means a bit over an hour drive, which I have no plans of doing, at the moment. I would like one that has the rainbow colours inside of it. I feel it isn't something I can just suddenly buy. I will need to shop around until I find the right one. I saw a few on the website Marion gave that interested me, but all were sold out. Maybe I will write to them, decide on a size range and see when they expect more in, how much they will cost, etc. It is a big investment, both monetary and spiritually, so I want to do it right! :)

Alta
09-03-2007, 21:13
It took me a long time to buy one, but, just me mind you, I don't care for the ones that are so full of veils that they just look cloudy. But, lots of people like those. I got this one because it was so flat-out lovely and oddly intense.

HearthCricket
09-03-2007, 21:35
It took me a long time to buy one, but, just me mind you, I don't care for the ones that are so full of veils that they just look cloudy. But, lots of people like those. I got this one because it was so flat-out lovely and oddly intense.

Exactly. I want clarity, not fog, but I also don't want a plain glass one that has no occlusions or curiosities about it. It has to speak to me in order to be worth the while in purchasing it. It will be fun to shop around, though!

Briar Rose
10-03-2007, 13:01
See if there is a Gem and Mineral Show in your area. They will have the best prices. Ask someone there if you they would be willing to take you into the wholesale side. I have my wholesale license and I don't mind when someone asks me.

Right now I am too poor to go to the shows (believe me you spent a lot, but get a lot!).

If you help finding where shows are in your area PM me about it.

Dark Inquisitor
10-03-2007, 15:00
I was recently searching for something special and found it here :

http://www.crystalsourcematrix.com/

Lovely to do business with ! I'm sure they could help you find just what you want if they have it .

HearthCricket
18-03-2007, 08:53
Thank you for all the input. It has really helped me look for exactly what I want. I have been practicing scrying techniques on different mediums and have found out several things. I don't want something competely clear. It just doesn't work for me. I need something with character in it, reflections, rainbows, clear areas and a bit of cloud. I looked all over. I measured. I held a fake plum in my hand to get the feel of what size I would want to work with. I noticed the balls get cloudier as they get larger. But I didn't want anything under 3 inches. I really studied my various crystals to see what sort of inclusions I would want or not want in it. I really did my homework, in other words!!

Then I found her. She is on her way. My heart literally leapt with delight and she gave me her name....Miranda. She is definitely a she. We are going to have a fantastic relationship! I am almost breathless with excitement!! Here is a picture of her. Isn't she lovely? She has so much to say! And yet, delicately so!

MysticalMoose
18-03-2007, 09:09
WOW! Hearthcricket!! she is truly beautiful. Congratulations on finding her :)
I hope that you have many happy hours together, and that you will let us know how you get on.

HearthCricket
18-03-2007, 09:19
Thank you! I love her. She is a 3.2 inch Lemurian Crystal ball and no matter how much browsing I did, I kept coming back to her, over and over and over again and realized I would hate myself for not getting her. Each one is so unique, but she had everything I wanted and I am going to have such a fun spring/summer bonding with her!! My profile picture finally fits me to a "T"!!

Alta
18-03-2007, 09:37
Really lovely HC!!!! I think you got yourself a real gem, and bonus points because you feel bonded!!!!

M

lark
18-03-2007, 13:58
A real beauty HC...I can see a rainbow in her...when you find it you just know.

HearthCricket
18-03-2007, 23:56
Yes, she is supposed to have several colourful rainbows and I like that she has a lot of clear places, plus occlusions and a little cloudy area. Everything looks well balanced and like it would give me a lot to focus on and also a nice variety for divinity and concentration. I have 2 books in the mail on scrying and using crystal balls and can't wait for them to come. This is terribly exciting.

It is hard to choose, because there are so many out there on the market. Sizes, colours, clear to foggy, some with mixes, some with rainbows, some with planes and phantoms. I never realized there was so much to consider when picking out one's crystal ball, but it makes it all the more personal and unique! And you know you picked out the right one when you just keep going back to it!

For those of you who have crystal balls, do you cover them with velvet or some kind of cloth when not being used?

Little Baron
19-03-2007, 00:05
Lovely photo HC. Looks great. I would like one with the flaws in like that one day.

I have a crystal ball. He is called 'Mute'.

He has a smaller brother called 'Mute-Too'.

Scrying is not very easy, I have found. I get clearer images in my mind than through the ball, but I hope to one day be able to use one.

Good luck

LB

HearthCricket
19-03-2007, 00:35
How neat, LB! Love the names you gave them. I wish more people would share pics of their crystal balls, no matter what kind they are, as I am now fascinated by the whole subject. (hint...hint...)

I tried a lot of interesting things, lately, for scrying to see how things would work out. Water in a bowl with a black bottom. Nothing. Clear glass. Nothing. A puddle. A little. But I wonder what my neighbours would think if I spent an hour standing in my driveway, staring at a puddle. LOL Well, they already wonder about me! Then I tried a faceted cut glass diamond. Not bad. It had potential, but was too "man-made". So, I bought a large clear crystal, which ended up having more occlusions and planes in it than I expected. And it began to speak to me. But I realized I wanted something smoother, larger, orb like. Thus, the crystal ball. Ideally I would have liked to have gone with something a bit bigger, but it seems they really get cloudier as they get larger and the character begins to get lost...so I will try working with a 3.2 inch ball. I lucked out. I have some quality fake fruit I use in centerpieces in the late summer and fall. One is a plum, nice and round and fits perfectly in my small hands. It was just about 3 inches, so it really have me a nice idea of what size the crystal ball would be. I also think I will always keep my eyes peeled and start a crystal ball fund, for a larger one. That way if one comes along that is nice and clear, compared to the densely fogged ones that come once they are larger, I will be ready to invest. Then, again, Miranda is dear to me and I can't wait to work with her!

Little Baron
19-03-2007, 00:44
The names were chosen in that they have never said a damn thing. I may as well have called them 'Dusty', bcause they have a film of dust a mm thick on their heads.

But I realise that you need to spend [a lot] of time with them; building up gradually, which I have not done out of lack of time. I don't think reading a ball is an overnight process. Maybe one day. I like your ideas about working with them and the cards, side by side.

LB

HearthCricket
19-03-2007, 00:55
The names were chosen in that they have never said a damn thing.
But I realise that you need to spend [a lot] of time with them; building up gradually, which I have not done out of lack of time. I don't think reading a ball is an overnight process. Maybe one day. I like your ideas about working with them and the cards, side by side.LB

LOL Well, then, they got called what they deserve for not speaking to you! I do believe you have to have a lot of time on your hands to attempt it properly and that you have to be patient. I have had such a leaning towards it since I was about 7 years old that it just seems like it will come natural to me, but who knows. I won't until I try it out. I am also excited about using it with tarot or even oracles. Right now I am still loving my Morgan Greer and happily working with it almost exclusively, but I want to toss someone else in the fun. I may go back to reading my VR because that seems to go nicely with the idea of using a crystal ball alongside. I certainly have some interesting adventures cut out for me this summer! But summer is long and hot and humid, which I hate, so sitting quietly in a cool room staring at a crystal ball sounds perfect!

Little Baron
19-03-2007, 01:02
From what I understand, you need to begin using it for just a few minutes a day, gradually building up the time [or was that getting a suntan?]. Apparently, it is not a good idea to launch into big sessions to start with. There are many threads about it on here. I suppose that is the same as with most things. I tried to concentrate and concentrate and get something from it and it just finished in frustration and tiredness. I naturally see moving pictures and hear voices and I think it might be a way of training myself to tune into the sphere to see them there. I often get them in windows but it is fleeting.

Wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how it goes. Might even spend five minutes with mine later - after I have wiped the dust off, lol.

LB

HearthCricket
19-03-2007, 01:10
From what I understand, you need to begin using it for just a few minutes a day, gradually building up the time [or was that getting a suntan?]. Apparently, it is not a good idea to launch into big sessions to start with. There are many threads about it on here. I suppose that is the same as with most things. I tried to concentrate and concentrate and get something from it and it just finished in frustration and tiredness. I naturally see moving pictures and hear voices and I think it might be a way of training myself to tune into the sphere to see them there. I often get them in windows but it is fleeting.

Wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how it goes. Might even spend five minutes with mine later - after I have wiped the dust off, lol.

LB

ROFL! Well, if I stare at it too long I suspect my eyes will get a burning sensation from too much strain. I see this as a relationship. First you just have a curiosity. Check the ball out. Find out its name (already did that). Start a friendship. If we get off on the wrong foot, I won't get anywhere with her, and she will end up being a pretty knicknack on my shelves. Be kind, be tender, keep that dust off!! Start asking her little questions. Get to know each and every cloud, rainbow, etc., from every angle. Read my books and be prepared for anything...or nothing. Try it in different lights. Different moods. I don't expect I will be very open to scrying if I have allergy problems or a tummy ache, so don't even bother when feeling sick or tired or too many things on my mind. It would be useless. But I will know the right time to sit down with her, be it 5 minutes or 20 mintues, even if it is just exploring her as a crystal and not scrying. It is just like a tarot deck. You look over the pictures and the book before you usually start reading with it, or at least familiarize yourself with it, first. Patience will be the keyword, here. And really caring for her, like she is a person. Miranda looks like she could be pretty chatty if she wanted to. I swear she was staring back at me on the screen saying, "C'mon, you know I am the ONE! Stop browsing!! You already found me!!"

Little Baron
19-03-2007, 03:24
I might have a little go with Mute tonight.

Mute is like a television that's lost it's plug. No picture. No sound.

Either that, or Mute is just stubborn.

But I might have a little go at trying to charm Mute out of his shell. His nose is right in the air and his lip is definitely zipped.

I would be interested in what books you are reading HC. Have you found any online resources that are any good?

Mute-Too came with the Titania kit. He says little as well. But Mute is about twice as large. My dad bought him for me in some sea-side villiage. I would like to say that he spoke to me in the shop but that would be a lie. But he did look more wonderfully sparklier than his older but smaller brother. Both are clear. I think the ones with flaws are much more inviting, to be honest, but then I wonder if having the gift to see anything in a sphere does not have much to do with size, price etc etc. Would I be right in saying that? If you can do it, can you not transfer the gift onto any ball or similar surface. Even though I suppose familiarity is a good thing in having one as a tool.

Interested in hearing how it all goes for you HC .. and also happy to keep talkig here about it. I have found Crystal Balls fascinating for a long time and would very much be able to use Mute and his brother for more than ornamentation.

LB

Pumpkin
19-03-2007, 06:35
Miranda is very pretty. Let us know when she is home. :)

HearthCricket
19-03-2007, 07:44
I might have a little go with Mute tonight.

Mute is like a television that's lost it's plug. No picture. No sound.

Either that, or Mute is just stubborn.

But I might have a little go at trying to charm Mute out of his shell. His nose is right in the air and his lip is definitely zipped.

I would be interested in what books you are reading HC. Have you found any online resources that are any good?

Mute-Too came with the Titania kit. He says little as well. But Mute is about twice as large. My dad bought him for me in some sea-side villiage. I would like to say that he spoke to me in the shop but that would be a lie. But he did look more wonderfully sparklier than his older but smaller brother. Both are clear. I think the ones with flaws are much more inviting, to be honest, but then I wonder if having the gift to see anything in a sphere does not have much to do with size, price etc etc. Would I be right in saying that? If you can do it, can you not transfer the gift onto any ball or similar surface. Even though I suppose familiarity is a good thing in having one as a tool.

Interested in hearing how it all goes for you HC .. and also happy to keep talkig here about it. I have found Crystal Balls fascinating for a long time and would very much be able to use Mute and his brother for more than ornamentation.

LB

Miranda will have two books accompanying her...when they come I will give you the titles and the authors. I can't even remember what I picked, but they looked the best and had good reviews. Let me know how it goes with Mute. If he starts to chat, you may need to rename him to Flute. :D

I think the medium that you use for scrying has a lot to do with how well you do. At least if you can scry at all. Sort of like tarot decks. Just because you can read tarot doesn't mean every deck will work for you. You can try, but some are just nothing. That is me with the Thoth. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I also can't read with unillustrated pips. I would love to, but I can't. I need more. I need aid or something. I am a very visual person. Abstract art rarely moves me, but give me the detail of a piece of Pre-Raphaelite painting and I will tell you gobs. Hmmm...maybe I could scry with one of those!! I think there are gifted people out there that can scry with anything, but I suppose it depends on one's pyschic ability, how trained up one is, how alive it is in a particular person, so that they can tap into it and "see" or "divine". For me, perhaps after working with Miranda I could go to a plain glass or clear crystal ball, but something in my heart tells me no. I need to have something in it. I practiced these past few weeks. And it was a faceted glass stone, a puddle with some grass and ripples in it, and a large quartz crystal with occlusions and planes that spoke to me. That is when I knew it would be okay to invest in Miranda. They are pricey. But this is really following almost a lifelong dream (since I was 6 or 7) so I want to go forward with it. I've decided I will let Miranda hold the reins, for a while. If I build up a nice trust with her, I think she will be more obliging to me...or maybe it will be pity if she sees how hard I am trying!!

Little Baron
19-03-2007, 07:54
One of the things I always had a problem with is that I wasn't quite sure what I was surposed to be seeing. Or where.

Was it in the ball? Or was it in my mind? Was it real images? Or was it my interpretation of a shape or something?

The reason I ask this is because I have seen moving pictures in my head since a small child. And people shout into my ears. I never realised that this was being some kind of medium. I thought that everyone had this. Apparently not.

But when I see moving pictures in my head, it isn't me making my own sense of shapes or interpreting shadows. They literally are like watching a film. My head just opens up when in a trance, and when my 'inside eyes' have adjusted properly, I watch what the people and stuff are doing. Not always interesting stuff, but they often wave and shout hello.

Now is this what I am surposed to be seeing in the ball?

Or is it shadows that remind me of something?

Or is it something else.

When spirit talks to me, it is not me guessing. It is not my own inner voice. They shout like an out-of-tuned radio. And they don't always come. And I am not always listening.

I guess that what I am asking is how do we know that we are all looking at and for the same kind of thing. Does that make sense?

LB

HearthCricket
19-03-2007, 08:38
Yes, of course I understand what you are saying. Summing it up...why scry? What the heck are we doing it for? LOL

For me it is a form of concentration. Letting go everything that may be running in my mind, and allowing myself to enter into almost a trance-like state. I used to to Centering Prayer and I used a mantra to leave the world behind and just "Be" with God. A lot of people can't do that. They can't let go of all those thoughts. The harder you try to get rid of them, the more they come rushing in. I had a monk, who was very into Buddhism, tell me to picture a room with no furniture, but with two doors on the opposite ends, open. When a thought came, give it form, let it float in one door, through the room and out the other door. It was the best advice I had ever received in getting rid of those thoughts. Once Centered, I have trouble getting out of it. Your supposed to center for 20-30 minutes. People find this long. I can center for a good hour. I believe when I start working with Miranda I will be using a mantra inside of me until I reach that trance-like state. I will probably use the word "deeper". Once there I believe we are supposed to be waiting to see if something jumps out at us (boogy!) or rather the shape of something, anything that gives us a bit of knowledge. Remember I said I would like to try it alongside with tarot? Okay...here is an example. Say I am doing a reading and the cards are dark. Maybe final card or future card is the tower. Tower what? What disaster? Do I want to see if I can see further into it? So, off to scrying land I go. I get into a trance, I go deeper, I see the vague shape of a scythe in the ball. Death. Or maybe I see something round like a coin. Bankruptcy. Or perhaps I see the shape of a person. Deceit. Etc.

Here is a very summarized intro to scrying that might help you answer some of your questions as to "Why??" and "What?". This also explains exactly why, at least for now, I need a ball with character and not completely clear, or I would have a "Mute, Yet Again". :D

http://www.crystalinks.com/scrying.html

HearthCricket
22-03-2007, 10:03
Miranda arrived, safe and sound, today, but her holder is not here, yet. I am also awaiting the books on crystal balls so she will get her grand viewing in a few days, if all goes as planned. In the meantime I am having a glorious time just looking at her from various angles and getting to know her. She has so many cool things. Occlusions, inclusions (whatever!) planes, little rainbows, a few bubble like spaces, a bit of cloud and then these lovely swirls of what looks like mist dancing inside of her! Plus some very clear areas. It is amazing how different she looks from every angle! I love her and she actually seems much bigger than I expected. I can't imagine working with one larger than this, even though at first I was disappointed she was only 3.5. She seems a perfect size for me! I am thrilled! She also has informed me that she wants some black velvet for a background, to show herself off best! Hmm....

celticnoodle
22-03-2007, 10:42
Oh my goodness, LB. You are a psychic medium to be sure. My daughter has these same happenings--and she is psychic. My mother gets these too, who is psychic. Both can see things happening to people they know & these people are still living---they see it in their head, & my daughter describes it as watching a t.v. show. She always knows when it's a deceased spirit because she can see through them. but when it is someone still living, she cannot see through them, but it is different, because she knows they are not right in front of her. She hears spirits too, and sometimes hears them w/o seeing them. My son in law can see them, but rarely can hear them. Once he had a room full of spirits trying to converse with him. He could not understand them, so they made him realize that he had to wake up my daughter, because they told him that she could hear them!

Now, from what I understand from my daughter, when she reads the crystal ball, she can also see these images of both people living and deceased inside the ball, like it's a television show. it'll be slightly cloudy around the images. if she rotates the ball, she either sees it from a different angle or usually it just moves on to a new scene--like in t.v. So I do think it's seen inside the ball. When the 'time' is over and she's not to see anymore, it just gets very cloudy again and then goes dark. Maybe when you see a scene it's just that since you are gazing into the ball, it's like a television show and your 3rd eye is the transmitter sending the 'images' to the ball. I'm no expert, so who knows? just my guess.

I usually make the connection with spirits when I'm asleep. I cannot 'force' it to happen when I want---it just happens-and most usually when I sleep. I see them easier then I can hear them, and have them wave to me also, once had an elderly gent show up and tip his hat to me, then turn around and walk away like he was walking up a flight of stairs towards the heavens! it was so cool! I don't know who he was, but I'll never forget that experience.

L.B. you are a definate psychic medium. Maybe the crystal ball will come easy for you and help you to further develop your psychic skills. I'd really love to hear more of your experiences. And Hearthcricket, yours too, when you get the chance to connect with Miranda.

a question for you both- I never heard of naming your crystal ball. Is this common? If not, why did you two choose names? How did you come about with those names?

HearthCricket
22-03-2007, 11:23
a question for you both- I never heard of naming your crystal ball. Is this common? If not, why did you two choose names? How did you come about with those names?

First of all, I have a tendency to name a lot of things in my house. The brass HearthCricket is named Pip. He has great expectations. ;) Master Humphrey is our grandfather clock. He is named after Dickens incomplete novel involving a grandfather clock. Heathcliff is our beloved brass bedwarmer, content to remain by hearth and brood! Etc.

I wanted to name my crystal ball because I wanted to personalize it and begin a relationship with it. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew it was a her. I said in my mind I should give her a name. And the name Miranda came right into my head. And so, she gave me her name.

Mind you, when I was 7 years old I started talking to the trees and when my father asked me what one was saying, I told him that the tree was "lonely because his friend had died decades ago from blight and so he cries out in his solitude." Not exactly the common language of a 7 year old girl who played gypsies and Little House on the Prairie with her friends. My father still remembers this and teases me!

celticnoodle
22-03-2007, 22:58
thank you hearthcricket! i love to read your posts, you have a wonderful way about you and I so enjoyed this one. Love the names you picked out for your things---especially the grandfather clock---Master Humphrey, how appropriate! As for you speaking to trees, what a cute story. Did your folks realize when you were younger that you had 'unusual' abilities, such as psychic abilities? When my daughter was little, we had a huge rock in our yard that could not be moved, nestled between two trees. It was her favorite spot and she would sit there for hours just 'listening & thinking'. She called it her "thoughtful place" like in the Winney the Pooh movies. It was as if she was meditating---and she'd go there and just be still & listen and think.

HearthCricket
22-03-2007, 23:19
They knew I was different, all along the way, but they never really considered me as being pyschic or anything like that. Old fashioned is more like it. I didn't like to play with dolls unless I could dress them up in long dresses-everything had to be a gypsy, including me. What better way to wear long skirts with pretty colours and twirl? :) I loved my trolls (they were gypsies, too, of course) and my Breyer Horses, etc. They did think I was very clever, but as I was sick a lot, my cleverness didn't show in school grades until college! Maybe this is why they were never weirded out by giving me tarot decks or chatting with the trees, calling to birds and just living happily in my own little world! I haven't told them about Miranda, yet, but I would assume they would just consider it another part of me and ask me if I have seen anything yet? I will probably go down in the family books as the most eccentric...and I don't really mind! :D

thinbuddha
23-03-2007, 02:33
I said in my mind I should give her a name. And the name Miranda came right into my head. And so, she gave me her name.

Does this mean she has the right to remain silent?

HearthCricket
23-03-2007, 03:06
LOL No! She is a chatty little lady, for certain. I just love her. Waiting for the stands to arrive and hoping it will be today.

HearthCricket
23-03-2007, 09:25
Well, I never knew it was so hard to take a picture of a crystal ball! Miranda snuck into the bookcase, way in a dark corner and I did the best I can until she is ready to come out and play! As soon as I took a picture or two, she informed me she would prefer to wait until daylight and does not care for the flash!! That'll teach me. Now I have to read my book and imprint myself on her. Looks like I have my work cut out for me!

Miranda....hiding and showing all her confusion in being in a new home with flashing lights! LOL

HearthCricket
23-03-2007, 09:30
And here is Miranda in the dark, getting ready for bed, reflecting the windows and showing some lovely rainbows in her!

HearthCricket
23-03-2007, 11:23
LOL I just looked up the meaning of the name Miranda, since I didn't really give it thought and it just came to me.

"A name created my Shakespeare for his play "The Tempest", from the feminine form of the Latin gerundive mirandus (admirable, lovely), from mirari (to wonder at, to admire). Hence the meaning, "she who is admired"."

Now, how is that for a rather vain crystal ball? It fits her perfectly!!

thinbuddha
23-03-2007, 15:40
Since we're sharing photos- It's a bit blurry, but it's the best photo I have.

HearthCricket
23-03-2007, 23:28
Very nice! You have a lot of clarity with that one and some interesting things going on, inside!! I am finding they are quite addicting and fascinating! Miranda showed more of her glory, today, against the dark wood....

Pumpkin
24-03-2007, 08:25
Everyone that has a crystal ball, did your stand come with your ball? I need to replace a stand but not sure where to buy one?

Anyone have any links for stands?

thinbuddha
24-03-2007, 08:42
I have 3 balls- one came with a stand, I don't use stands for the other two, but I have seen several sites that sell crystal balls that also sell stands.

here's one site (http://www.capricornslair.com/crysbalspher.html) but there are many others.

HearthCricket
24-03-2007, 08:43
Reading my first book on crystal balls "Crystal Balls and Crystal Bowls" by Ted Andrews. Some interesting stuff on gazing, scrying, clairvoyance, caring for your crystal ball, imprinting on it, etc. Some stuff not so exciting, but the rest is very helpful. There is info on candles, mazes, training up your mind, etc, which I find very intriguing. Almost like prep work before you even attempt to scry.

Miranda is happily taking it all in, with me, and loves attention. However, she has informed me that she is lonely at night and would I please get her younger sister to keep her company and take any pressure off her. Thus, Ophelia (helper) is also on her way! She promises to wait her turn because I plan to work a lot with Miranda, but Ophelia apparently gives her comfort...

http://mineralminers.com/images/rock-crystal/sphs/rkxs344.jpg

Pumpkin
24-03-2007, 09:12
HearthCricket, did your stand come with Miranda? If not, where did you order it? TIA

celticnoodle
24-03-2007, 12:00
Beautiful pictures hearthcricket & thinbuddha! I feel like an 'awful' parent, not only did I not name my crystal ball, but i've never taken it's picture! i'll have to remedy that situation soon! :laugh:

hearthcricket---may i recommend the crystal ball book by Uma Silbey? I have her book, and I know it's around here somewhere---but forget the title. You can find it online- not available in bookstores anymore, but Santa, the dear ol' elf, brought it to me for this Christmas past.. I found it to be excellent! Though, I think you & Miranda have bonded so well already, you may not need another book at this point!

HearthCricket
24-03-2007, 13:22
That is the book I am waiting for in the mail! I hope to get it by next Wednesday. It looks really good and I do like to have a few books on the subject since it is all new to me and I want to cover it well!

Little Baron
24-03-2007, 19:42
I would say that books are an asset. Getting anything from a ball is not easy, if you are doing it properly, and I think that some guidance in preparation and how to work at it in stages is probably essential. I don't think it is like card reading, where you can simply guess at what the pictures might mean [to you]. It takes a lot of persistance and a LOT of time, which is why I have gotton absolutely nothing from my one, 'Mute' [named for this very reason, hehe]. Not everyone will be bothered to put this in. I think it is also important to acknowledge that not everyone is going to be able to read with a ball either, however much they try. Using your intuition in the way you do with cards is not the same. I don't think it is as easy as just connecting with your inner voice. The images are either there, with a heck of a lot of practice, or not.

LB

Alta
24-03-2007, 21:31
Thanks for the recommendation on the Uma Silbey book. I went to amazon and read the review on Ted Andrews book, which wasn't very favorable. Are those the two main ones?

HearthCricket
24-03-2007, 23:47
I would say that books are an asset. Getting anything from a ball is not easy, if you are doing it properly, and I think that some guidance in preparation and how to work at it in stages is probably essential. I don't think it is like card reading, where you can simply guess at what the pictures might mean [to you]. It takes a lot of persistance and a LOT of time, which is why I have gotton absolutely nothing from my one, 'Mute' [named for this very reason, hehe]. Not everyone will be bothered to put this in. I think it is also important to acknowledge that not everyone is going to be able to read with a ball either, however much they try. Using your intuition in the way you do with cards is not the same. I don't think it is as easy as just connecting with your inner voice. The images are either there, with a heck of a lot of practice, or not.

LB

I agree. Some of the stuff Ted Andrews said, so far, has been helpful. I like the fact that he admits he prefers using a smaller crystal ball and that he finds the ones with things in it, like planes, occlusions, inclusions, etc., are far more helpful to a beginner than just a crystal clear one, because it helps us focus and gives us a "doorway" into the ball and gazing. Things like cleanse your ball in salt water isn't for me. Gosh, that is the last thing I plan to do with something that is this costly! I have a jewelers cloth for keeping her clean, but I am the only one touching her, anyhow, and right now Miranda is behind glass on a bookshelf, tucked safely in a corner where she can be left alone. And I have no plan on rolling her over my body for healing purposes, as was suggested in the book. lol Sorry, no thank you! I plan to do my best and read what I can find. I might even be able to find something older in a local library. I must say I am a bit surprised to find there is very little info out there, so I will do some websurfing, too. And it is definitely going to be harder than reading tarot or oracles where the images are plain in your face and your imagination can soar from there. But crystal ball gazing is such an old practice that I truly would love to at least give it a good try and see what comes of it!! If nothing comes of it, I have a lovely paperweight and cool Halloween decoration! ;)

MysticalMoose
25-03-2007, 02:52
Ohhhh What beautiful pictures ....Miranda is certainly Very "much admired" :) when do you expect Ophelia to arrive?
You have inspired me again Hearthcricket, you have a way of writing things, you should be an author! :)..I have quite a large clear ball 120mm, which is beautiful but I have not for years got round to attempting to use it, ( no name either sadly! :() ~it has been sitting on my bookcase looking lovely for a long time, bathed & buffed regularly but unused....maybe that will change now...:) I spotted in my friends shop on thursday a lovely smaller ball, with rainbows & occlusions etc a 3.5mm one...I think when I go back this week if it is still there I will be tempted........Cant wait to hear your latest updates on your bonding with Miranda!!!
MM :love:

HearthCricket
25-03-2007, 03:07
Ophelia should arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday. I have to do some shopping around for a holder for her. She is 2.85 inches, so I am almost border line for a 3 inch ball size. Miranda is excited. Actually, she is beside herself in misty happiness. I took a peek at her, wishing her a good morning and though she didn't flash one of her rainbows at me (still feeling a bit shy) she did show off some of those lovely planes and ghostly twirls in her, which makes her a very mysterious ball! As I look over at her, right now, I can see two rainbow reflections. So much depends on the light. I may pull her out, later and set her with my tarot cards, if I get the chance to do a reading or two. I am trying to introduce her to the whole idea of divination and scrying, and I think she just giggles. After all, she is probably a lot older than I am and much wiser than I think!

Another thing I really liked about Ted Andrew's book is his comparison in looking at images in a crystal ball to ink blots. When we look at those ink blots we try to imagine what they are and everyone sees something different. There is no correct answer~the answer is in the eye of the beholder. So, it is much like divination of any sort. If one lays down the same tarot cards for three people, you will get three different readings, etc. And the series of mazes to practice "seeing beyond". I thought they were clever ways of showing how to practice up for gazing. So, here and there, I find myself reading a section, then peeking at Miranda, then going back to the book, while she just soaks in all the attention. She seems eager, at least!!

Little Hare
25-03-2007, 08:47
I laybyed a clear quartz crystal ball yesterday! she has rainbows all through her and because i know the proprietor of the shop really well he gave me discount and free stand!

*YAY*

Pumpkin
25-03-2007, 08:56
I laybyed a clear quartz crystal ball yesterday! she has rainbows all through her and because i know the proprietor of the shop really well he gave me discount and free stand!

*YAY*

Jumping up and down for you. :D

They are so beautiful. I have two and my eye on another.

Little Hare
25-03-2007, 09:33
Jumping up and down for you. :D

hehehe crystals, like tarot are an addiction

HearthCricket
25-03-2007, 11:20

Please share pics and also let us know how you do with scrying. Did they work out well for you, what size they are, what kind they are, etc. Did one work better than another? I really want to hear people's experiences with crystal ball gazing and scrying.

Pumpkin
25-03-2007, 12:57
I will take some pictures tomorrow. I don't think they would turn out with the lights on in the room??

I haven't tried gazing and scrying. I would like to.

I have been looking at a few online and keep looking at them. One is now on it's way to your house, so I know it was not meant to me mine. lol But the good news is that I still get to hear about her here. :D

I had always loved the crystal clear balls. That is what I have now. But after reading here about the lines and clouds in them, it does seem that they would be better to read with.

I saw another today, it is gorgeous. But cost so much more at the local store than online. Smaller too.

We should all do this together? Who's game? We can give each other tips as we go.

thinbuddha
25-03-2007, 16:04
I will take some pictures tomorrow. I don't think they would turn out with the lights on in the room?

Your best bet will be in bright light (even direct sun) against a dark background.

celticnoodle
25-03-2007, 23:36
I will take some pictures tomorrow. I don't think they would turn out with the lights on in the room?? oh please share them here too! As soon as I can get my scanner/printer and laptop back in the running, I'll try to take one of my ball and do the same. Of course, Pumpkin, we have to name our crystal balls too!

I haven't tried gazing and scrying. I would like to. my problem is I don't stick with it. I start and go for a few days--about 10minutes a day, then I put the ball back in it's box and leave it alone for weeks or months at a time. not good. my crystal ball is probably very very lonely. boy, I'm not a good momma to it, am I? :(

I had always loved the crystal clear balls. That is what I have now. But after reading here about the lines and clouds in them, it does seem that they would be better to read with.same here. i prefer the clear ones too. i don't think i can afford to purchase another one anytime soon either-so I have to stay with this clear one. I find it quite beautiful & mysterious. I have a large stand for mine that was originally a plant stand (found in TJMAX of all places!) and it works great---very very stable.

We should all do this together? Who's game? We can give each other tips as we go.I'm game for this. Maybe it will also encourage me to stick with it. I know that for the 'average' gazer it takes awhile to be able to see anything in the ball, and I get a bit discouraged and frustrated. I have gotten close---saw the 'cloud' formations, but still gave up too soon. If we can all do this together, it may keep me going!

Your best bet will be in bright light (even direct sun) against a dark background.thanks thinbuddha for the advice, I'll do that too. My only problem is that I need to get my laptop and scanner/printer working together again, so hopefully that won't be too much longer!

Now, I also have to go hold my crystal ball and see if he/she tells me their name. If not, it's off to buying a baby name book and see what jumps out at me! hmmmm............

oh hearthcricket, I'm so glad you started this thread! I've enjoyed it throughout each posting. :D

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 01:53
I have been looking at a few online and keep looking at them. One is now on it's way to your house, so I know it was not meant to me mine. lol But the good news is that I still get to hear about her here. :D

Oh, are you the one who had her and another one in your cart? I kept waiting to see if the person would be buying them. Lucky for me that you didn't and I called the place up and the minute you didn't commit, they sold it to me! Must have been karma, being Miranda's sister and all... :D

Little Baron
26-03-2007, 02:19
I'm up for the ten minutes a day, if anyone else is.

I appreciate that nothing might happen for many many weeks or longer, but that is what you have to go through, I thought.

But frustration is not so frustrating if we are all doing it together.

If we do it, it would be nice to do it properly.

This ink blot thing. Am I right in thinking that he means intuiting what shapes and shadows look like? Almost like tea leaves? I thought that actual images would come, like I see in my head? I thought that that was what came with a lot of practice, rather than relying on intuition.

Maybe we could do our ten minutes a day and report back on how it did or didn't work?

If so, HC, do you know when is the best light or dark to do it in? I think I remember it being said that evening was best with a few candles not too near to the ball.

LB

celticnoodle
26-03-2007, 02:35
I'm in it too! However, for me, daytime is best---I'm alone in the house, and it's quiet and I can find the time to spend with the crystal ball easier then.

yes, LB, I too thought I'd see pictures in the ball, (my daugher & mother describe it as seeing it the images that way). maybe it's different for everyone?

10 minutes a day, if all is in agreement? then, keep a log maybe of our experiences, ect. and report back, how often? on a weekly basis? unless something HUGE occurs?

this will be exciting!

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 03:07
Well, this is one of the reasons why I want to look into other books, as well. Will I see actual images, will I see things that I need to discern, or will I see nothing at all. There seems to be so much involved with it, depending on who you read. I highly recommend people reading books and searching on the internet before even trying this. It isn't like we can all sit down one day and say "hey, this is what I saw, what did you see?" It isn't that easy. My understanding it that it takes a long time. You need to devote yourself to caring and bonding with your crystal ball. You need to get to know it inside and out. Know how to train your mind for gazing and getting into a trance-like condition.

Most say night is the best time (or the dark) which can also mean late afternoon and evening, in the fall, here in New England. One candle behind the ball, so that it is illuminated from behind. Low lighting, but obviously enough so you can actually make out things. I am just as new as this, or newer, than anyone else, so right now I am just reading and reading as much as I can so I will have an idea as to what on earth I am doing staring at a crystal ball. And it does take time....months and months, usually, to see anything. In the meantime, read, get to know your crystal ball, read some more, name it, bond with it, care gently for it. Ted Andrews said "it is your child". Give it a name. Say good morning and good night to it. Get it know its personality. Know every plane and rainbow it has. Etc. And be very patient. It isn't going to happen overnight!

Pumpkin
26-03-2007, 03:32
Oh, are you the one who had her and another one in your cart? I kept waiting to see if the person would be buying them. Lucky for me that you didn't and I called the place up and the minute you didn't commit, they sold it to me! Must have been karma, being Miranda's sister and all... :D

lol, yep. That was me. I did buy the other one last night. I just kept looking till it felt right.

She is on her way to your house, as it should be.

My baby will be on her way. I think she looks like a Sophia. Love that name.

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 03:43
Oh, that is good....she looks like an even balance of clear on one side and clouds on the other. Miranda has a lovely balance of everything in her, and Ophelia has a lovely clarity to her, with all the rainbows, plus is a tad smaller, so I won't be repeating myself with two around the same size. I really thought I would be disappointed without a large crystal ball, but am realizing smaller is easier to work with, as most books and websites point out. Plus the real quartz gets terribly cloudy as they get larger, and then it isn't much good for me, at least.

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 03:48
However, for me, daytime is best---I'm alone in the house, and it's quiet and I can find the time to spend with the crystal ball easier then.

Even though they all recommend night time (darker, less reflections, etc.) I plan to try her out at different times to see what works best for me. I can certainly make some rooms very dark simply by pulling shades down and closing drapes, though with summer coming on, I may find myself gazing in the early hours pre-dawn. I get tired at night...so fall and winter evenings will be a good time to try out!

celticnoodle
26-03-2007, 04:40
well, i do have some rooms in my house, where, I too, can make it quite dark. And, yes, I forgot to mention before that a candle burning nearby is supposedly good. My mother & aunt never burned a candle that I can recall them saying, but my daughter feels this is essential and I've heard that from others as well as reading it in books/online.

I think I'm going to pull my crystal ball out and make a place for her in my china closet in the diningroom. I have a beautiful box that I"ve lined in black velvet for her to sit in and then the box also has a nice little 'top' with compartments in it that I've kept medals and herbs there, as a way to keep the ball protected from low energies. something else I read in a book. However, having her out in the diningroom will give us a better chance to get to know each other.

hmmm...nice name, Sophia, pumpkin. I'm still not sure what to name my crystal ball. will have to think on it some more. maybe hold her to see what name she likes............

Little Baron
26-03-2007, 04:55
I am not sure about the naming and stuff. Can you not bond with it just as a tool? I don't personalise anything else that I use in that way.

I just looked at my ball. And wondered what it's name is.

First name that popped into my head.

Brad.

Very spiritual.

Not sure if I will use it. Feel a bit daft giving the ball a name, to be honest.

LB

Embla
26-03-2007, 05:58
LB, I adore the name Brad! And Mute, and Mute-too, too! Can´t think of more spiritual names! I named my crystal ball Esmeralda when I got her, eight years ago. She is 110 cm. I don´t see how naming your crystal ball is necessary though, unless it helps you form a closer, more personalized bond, with your crystal ball. Forming a relationship with your crystal ball is what is important!

I´m game for working with my crystal ball here! Sounds great. I have both the Ted Andrews and Uma Silbey book too.

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 07:06
I don't think it is necessary to name your crystal ball, at all. I name things. It is what I do. It just came naturally to me. As does personalizing my crystal ball. I name and personalize lots of things that have nothing to do with divination, like my grandfather clock! I certainly don't name my tarot decks, though I have heard people on the forum that have done so! I think it is to each their own and that is what we will all find out as we go through the books. Some suggestions will be fine, others won't click at all. I don't think it is necessary to get all cutsie about it. For me it works. And I shared. But for everyone to suddenly go out and name their crystal balls that they have had for years and never thought of doing would be silly, IMO. For me it is part of the bonding process, but if it doesn't work for others, then don't even bother. We will all have our own individual experiences with this! Besides, I actually like Mute. It works! If he starts to work for you, maybe you will change your mind and call him Chatterball! :D

How many are planning to bathe their crystal balls in salt water, according to Ted? How many are planning to put them in the moonlight for 2 weeks to cleanse them? Or roll them all over your body to heal you? Miranda might get a night in the moonlight, but other than that, she will be polished, as needed, with water and cloth, and shined with a jewelers cloth that I bought specifically for her. And that is it. Keep her safe and private and some place where she isn't reflecting light like a magnifying glass and burning down my house! Thus, she may get covered with a cloth, even though she is in a dark place. Ophelia will be the same.

I have been told my several people that our house is enchanting. It looks like a basic house from the outside, but inside we have broke the rules of conformity and often it is like stepping into another century. For my husband and I it has worked to name things~maybe because we have no children. So, when I say put something next to Pip, or Humphrey, or move Sophia and Hawthorne, we know what we are talking about. It is just our lifestyle! But it won't be everyones! So, all that being said, it is certainly an individual choice, but not a necessity to name one's crystal ball!!

Little Baron
26-03-2007, 07:09
Haha. Mute and Mute-Too were just a joke really - in that neither ball has produced a damn thing for me. But that is more to do with me than them. I have not given them either enough time or effort, and I appreciate that that is necessary.

I don't have any books about balls. Aside from the one that came with the small Titania set. I remember it not really saying very much of use. I think there are sections in far older books I own that I got from antique shops, but havn't read up on them.

At the moment, I am not sure if it is worth buying a book. I think that they are very important [and cheers for the recommendations, HC ;) ] but I want to see what comes of my ten minute scrying sessions. I don't want this to be another situation where I go out on a spending-spree, getting hold as much as I can in one go and then the novelty wears off in a couple of weeks, when either I lose interest or get frustrated by lack of anything happen. There have been many instances in the past with tarot [even though I am working hard at using just the Victorian Romantic at the moment] that I have tried out one system or deck and tossed it aside for another before giving it a lengthy chance. And here, I don't want to do this. If it is to be, then the ball should be enough to start with, even though I appreciate pearls of knowledge from other peoples reading material, as and when they choose to share it in posts.

Brad would not be a name I would come up with, generally. Which is strange. But it was the first name that literally popped into my head. Even though I am not really into the naming-thing, it suits, I suppose.

LB

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 07:16
Brad would not be a name I would come up with, generally. Which is strange. But it was the first name that literally popped into my head. Even though I am not really into the naming-thing, it suits, I suppose.LB

See, that is what happened to me with Miranda. Just popped into my head. And it worked. Maybe "Brad" isn't as mute as you think! ;) Spend some time gazing, tonight, and see what comes of it. Just don't try too hard. Just let it flow and think of the ball as an empty screen and see if you get the same pictures that you get in your head. But, yes, time and patience is a necessity in al this. Rushing it won't help. I need the books because this is all new territory for me and I find it interesting.

Embla~which of the two books do you like the most?

Little Baron
26-03-2007, 07:19
Haha, HC. Chatterball.

I love the sound of your world at home. It does sound enchanting. In your instance, it seems that naming illustrates the care that you give to items. And the value and appreciation, which is lovely.

I can see some sense in it. It does make it less of just an object, and more of a part of your life. I also son't see the point in naming decks, but probably because so many people have the same copy. I suppose that here, at least, all balls are different.

I am most interested in practicing and sharing our experiences, frustrations and triumphs with this work, if you would like.

'Brad' has been sitting around for quite a while and I think it would be nice to actually try and use 'him', rather than just leaving him on the side as some kind of ornament on my tarot table.

LB

P.S. Thanks for all the useful info about balls HC. It is interesting. Really appreciate it. And as always, your enthusiasm is infectious.

Alta
26-03-2007, 09:44
I had to move the new thread to Divination. It is here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1061084#post1061084

Marion

Pumpkin
26-03-2007, 10:09
Here are my girls.

The big one is about 4 1/4 inches. The smaller one is just a hair under 2 inches. The new one I ordered is just over 3 inches, but not here yet. I hope it will be shipped tomorrow.

I forgot to take the pictures when there was enough light so I took them outside just before it got dark.

celticnoodle
26-03-2007, 10:24
beautiful pumpkin! thanks for sharing them.

Pumpkin
26-03-2007, 11:09
beautiful pumpkin! thanks for sharing them.

Thanks so much. I still need to find a nice stand for the larger one.

Rin
26-03-2007, 14:47
Taureans should never be left around bright and shiny objects.

I've been following this thread for awhile, and checking out crystal balls as well.

And I found one. And I love it. There are so many phantoms flying around in there, they look like little creatures. And the small rainbows arn't over-powering ... And some of it is green! Green! (*makes a big deal out of green things* >_> <_<)

Gaaaah. The only problem is paying for it. ;_; Woe is me.

http://mineralminers.com/html/rkxs360.jpg

Anyways. Just to contribute to the conversation: Miranda looks lovely, HeathCricket (I hope I spelt that right!).

One thing I do appreciate about Ebay, is that serious sellers often take multiple images from different angles, and include a wide variety of information.

Embla
26-03-2007, 17:05
HC, Uma Silbey´s book is much more practical and accessible than Ted Andrews´ book in my opinion. The language is less technical. But I have learned useful things from both. Although I have to say that I use Silbey´s techniques more than Andrews´. So if I had to choose one it would be Silbey´s.

LB, have you considered the fact that the name Brad that popped into your head might not have had anything to do with naming your crystal ball, but instead could have been your first successful crystal-ball reading? Perhaps there is a Brad outthere somewhere, calling for your attention?

and Pumpkin, I love the larger stand you have for your large crystal ball. Are those really clear natural quartz spheres? Or are they melted? Perhaps you have written about that somewhere in this thread....

Alta
26-03-2007, 22:40
I also appreciate the comments on the books and have ordered the Sibley book via abebooks. I was somewhat put off by one review on the Andrews book on amazon, though I know those reviews are not always exactly unbiased! Hoping to join in the other thread once I have it.

*smiles* I also like things that flash green Rin! What is it about certain colours? And yes, they aren't cheap, erk!

On the sites I saw some crystal balls that were virtually clear, and I have a bracelet supposedly of clear quartz so it can't be that rare. But then the really clear ones seem to command big dollars. In a museum once I saw a very large almost flawless quartz crystal ball. Must have been 12" in diameter or more. I was awe-struck!

For scrying I would think that some internally reflective planes and clouds would be helpful, but lark and others seem fine with the flawless ones, so.... different strokes it would appear. I enjoyed the information already in the new thread on using them in divining too.

M

Little Baron
26-03-2007, 23:44
LB, have you considered the fact that the name Brad that popped into your head might not have had anything to do with naming your crystal ball, but instead could have been your first successful crystal-ball reading? Perhaps there is a Brad outthere somewhere, calling for your attention?

Considered? Yes.

But believe that it was a reading, no. It came off of the top of my head, and I don't need a crystal ball for that.

This is what I need to try and understand. I think we all have different ideas about what reading a crystal ball is like.

In cards, we use our intuition. Our gut feeling. Our inner voice. We feel something and believe that that is what the cards are saying. We look at subtle parts of card images and consider that that is what we should be paying attention to.

And I am wondering if some people are paying attention, once again, to that inner voice as they look at the ball. Or maybe seeing a few lines that 'look like' or 'remind them' of something.

This is not what I imagine crystal reading to be like. I imagine that I will eventually see real images on the surface of the ball, like I do with the unformed and untrained visions I see in my mind, without provocation.

For the moment, I am not sure that the former approach is how I have read people to scry. And is not necessarily an approach I am interested in myself. I don't mean that to sound harsh. I just think that crystal ball reading is quite probably a bit more demanding than that.

LB

HearthCricket
26-03-2007, 23:47
Lovely pics of the balls! I also like the one you have your eye out on, Rin. Crystal balls certainly don't come cheap and the clearer or the larger you go, the dollars start to add up considerably. I am floored enough with the price of my two. That will probably be it for me in collecting crystal balls. If they work in scrying, neat. If not, they will be expensive baubles in my house and used in Halloween decorating, as well as just appreciated for their beauty, which is why I invested in ones that have rainbows and other interesting things in them! And I thought tarot collecting was costly!

Thanks about the tip on the books, Embla! I can't wait until my Sibley one comes. I have just about exhausted the other one. Only half the book is about crystal balls and the other half is about crystal bowls, which I am not interested in. I was disappointed that it had no glossary about things like planes, phantoms, rainbows, etc., and have found my Crystal Bible more helpful in describing the physical attributes of a crystal ball. I hope they both give me some good insight (hehehe..no pun intended!). I fouhnd Ted Andrews book had a tendency to take on a more New Age approach, whereas I would love one that actually talks about the history of balls and older information, as well as working with it and more about choosing the perfect one, what to look for, various terminology, etc. Again, the internet might provide me with more information than either book! I guess I am up for some studying, still! :)

thinbuddha
27-03-2007, 01:31
I would love one (book) that actually talks about the history of balls and older information....

Ask, and you shall receive (http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Gazing-History-Distribution-Practice/dp/1564595420/ref=sr_1_3/002-5523640-8240800?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174922986&sr=1-3).

I haven't read this one yet, but it seems like the real deal.

Little Baron
27-03-2007, 01:41
So, what book are we recommending as the better? As a 'how to'?

LB

thinbuddha
27-03-2007, 01:47
I only have Uma Sibley's book. Not sure I'm qualified to say this, but I don't really feel a need to go get another book on the topic- not that this one has done the trick for me... I just think that it's like buying a book on how to ride a bike- Learning to "let go and ride" isn't something that a book can teach, you just gotta do it until it works.

Edit: Take anything I say as opinion only. I have no idea what I'm talking about because I haven't really scry'd with much success, but I still have an opinion.

Little Baron
27-03-2007, 01:50
Good advice TB

LB

Pumpkin
27-03-2007, 03:40
and Pumpkin, I love the larger stand you have for your large crystal ball. Are those really clear natural quartz spheres? Or are they melted? Perhaps you have written about that somewhere in this thread....

That "stand" is a door knob. lol I just used it for the picture. Had to use something. I have been looking for a stand for that ball for years.

The large one was melted. I had been looking at it for a year and was in love with it. We were getting ready to move from one state to another so my husband bought it for me just before we left. I'm really not sure about the small one. I don't even remember were I bought it.

thinbuddha
27-03-2007, 04:13
The large one was melted.

I have seen some conflicting information about how these clear balls are manufactured. Some state that they are melted and worked like glass (sometimes, like "Crystal" stemware, there is only a small percentage of crystal mixxed in with glass in this process). I've also seen reference made to lab grown crystals- that a large crystal is grown in lab conditions and then carved into the shape of a ball.

Not sure how one would tell the difference....

Rin
27-03-2007, 06:46
*smiles* I also like things that flash green Rin! What is it about certain colours? And yes, they aren't cheap, erk!

On the sites I saw some crystal balls that were virtually clear, and I have a bracelet supposedly of clear quartz so it can't be that rare. But then the really clear ones seem to command big dollars. In a museum once I saw a very large almost flawless quartz crystal ball. Must have been 12" in diameter or more. I was awe-struck!

See, thats what I think too. I went searching on Ebay for crystal balls, and most of them are under $100 for bidding prices. I don't necessarily they're ripping people off (if you look at the serious sellers with lots of feedback/sales/etc).

Just makes you wonder.

HearthCricket
28-03-2007, 06:22
Ophelia has arrived, but still waiting for a stand. She is amazing and quite different from Miranda. This cyrstal ball is almost completely clear with a plane slicing right through her and is very bright. Miranda has a milkier look to her, in comparison. Interestingly enough, for the life of me, I cannot get Ophelia to show off her beautful rainbows as easily as Miranda does, which is basically why I chose this balls. But I like the fact that they are so different. Miranda has so much going on in her and is quite intriguing, whereas Ophelia is bright, quite calm and has incredible clarity. Miranda is still my favourite, being my first and I like her personality, but I am please to have found such a clear ball, as well, which, if using as a divining tool, will give me a very different sort of reading. At any rate, both are lovely and magical. Photos to follow once I have a stand!!

Rin
28-03-2007, 06:34
Woo! Pictures!

Sounds very interesting. :)

HearthCricket
28-03-2007, 06:44
Ah, found the trick with Ophelia! She prefers low light! It is very cloudy out and suddenly she is showing off some lovely rainbows. I am amazed at the rest of her. She looks like a ball of cold spring water...I just want to drink her in!

Little Hare
28-03-2007, 06:50
This is all so exciting!!!!

:heart:

HearthCricket
28-03-2007, 06:58
This is Ophelia's busy side. I am finding you need to capture the busy sides to get those rainbow reflections off the planes, etc. This is not her permanent stand, but rather a rotating one I use while reading from them. I think Ophelia is going to be quite a challenge and lovely to look at, too!

wumpkie
28-03-2007, 07:05
She is so pretty :)

Little Baron
28-03-2007, 07:27
Nice photo HC!

celticnoodle
28-03-2007, 08:29
Ophelia is as beautiful as her big sister, Miranda! Congrats Hearthcricket!

HearthCricket
28-03-2007, 09:04
Thank you! I have been really staring at her. Not for readings, but just soaking in her purity and beauty. She really is quite fluid looking! I've realized 2 things.

1. I love crystal balls and they are addicting! I thought I would settle at two, but if ever another catches my eye, so long as I have the funds, I will not pass it by!

2. I really like the smaller balls, though many prefer the larger ones and can read them easier because there is more surface to project on. I have small hands and the smaller balls allow me to hold them in my hands. I also find them a bit more secretive!

Little Baron
28-03-2007, 09:10
1. I love crystal balls and they are addicting! I thought I would settle at two, but if ever another catches my eye, so long as I have the funds, I will not pass it by!

I have two. I have only been working with the one [Brad]. The other is nameless. I think it would make sense to really persevere and see if it works for you with either of what you have got before buying more. They are not cheap.

LB

HearthCricket
28-03-2007, 09:13
I have two. I have only been working with the one [Brad]. The other is nameless. I think it would make sense to really persevere and see if it works for you with either of what you have got before buying more. They are not cheap.

LB

No, they certainly are not! But they are exquisite and I now know I am hooked! The next trick is finding those ultimate holders, which isn't that easy!

Alta
28-03-2007, 09:35
I find that photo of Ophelia striking. I think I can see things in her just from the pic!

thinbuddha
28-03-2007, 09:41
The next trick is finding those ultimate holders, which isn't that easy!

For a while, I was using Play-Doh containers. Very irreverent, but it kept them from getting damaged.

Pumpkin
30-03-2007, 12:14
Ophelia is beautiful!! I would think so. lol ;)

When your reading you use a rotating stand. Great idea!!

HearthCricket
30-03-2007, 12:41
Yes, I always move them about when I am trying to scry. Different places tell different tales and sometimes you need to look deeper and deeper. Plus they are a nice way to just look at them at various angles, trying to catch light and make rainbows, etc.! Did you get yours, yet? I am dying to see pictures of it!

Pumpkin
30-03-2007, 13:29
It's not here yet. I hope it will be very soon. I think I will order one of those rotating stands. :D I just love the idea.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Pumpkin
31-03-2007, 05:26
She came today. Just beautiful!!

I opened it and said to my husband wow look at the rainbows. He said, "oh, it's a reading rainbow." Sing it like the tv show. lol

Here she is. :D

wumpkie
31-03-2007, 06:21
She's beautiful, you are really lucky :)

Alta
31-03-2007, 08:13
Pumpkin, this is a lovely one! Well done.

This is making me feel better about my rather impulsive purchase two weeks ago.

HearthCricket
31-03-2007, 08:42
She is just lovely, Pumpkin! I am so happy for you! She reminds me a lot of Miranda and I think you will get a lot of fun out of her! Enjoy!

celticnoodle
31-03-2007, 10:38
She came today. Just beautiful!!

I opened it and said to my husband wow look at the rainbows. He said, "oh, it's a reading rainbow." Sing it like the tv show. lol

oh pumpkin, she is beautiful! congratulations!!! i am sure she will bring many messages to you---in the picture, she does seem to sing, doesn't she?

Little Hare
31-03-2007, 13:23
I just came home from a fair with a huge golden calcite ball :D :heart: I couldn't walk away from it and the best thing is i got it at suppliers price.... i can't wait to see how it will work with my rose quartz ball and the clear quartz i have on layby.

I'm such a happy crystal bunny

Little Hare
31-03-2007, 13:24
Pumpkin

Stunning... I see angel wings in her

Pumpkin
31-03-2007, 14:32
I just came home from a fair with a huge golden calcite ball :D :heart: I couldn't walk away from it and the best thing is i got it at suppliers price.... i can't wait to see how it will work with my rose quartz ball and the clear quartz i have on layby.

I'm such a happy crystal bunny

Wow, that must be gorgeous.

Thanks everyone. I just love my new crystal ball.

Little Hare
31-03-2007, 15:40
For Pictures of my babies :D

Click the website in my profile it will take you to my live journal and its the first post :D The photos were taken with my camera phone as my mother's digital camera's batteries are being charged up

Pumpkin
31-03-2007, 15:57
They are both beautiful!!

Can't wait to see your crystal ball once you get it home. :)

Embla
03-04-2007, 04:40
I have been trying to post pictures here of my crystal ball but I need to get the format right before the forum accepts my pics...

HC I am curious, what made you decide to purchase a helper to Miranda? Any specific reasons besides love? ;) Is it common to have helpers to your crystal balls? Can´t remember reading that anywhere, but maybe it is in Ted Andrews´book somewhere.

And how does the smaller size of Ophelia work for you?

Pumpkin
03-04-2007, 09:15
To resize your pictures try this. Resize the longest side of the picture to 640 pixels. The other side should resize automatically. It should be equal or less than 640 pixels depending on the shape.

Hope that helps. :)

HearthCricket
03-04-2007, 09:31
HC I am curious, what made you decide to purchase a helper to Miranda? Any specific reasons besides love? ;) Is it common to have helpers to your crystal balls? Can´t remember reading that anywhere, but maybe it is in Ted Andrews´book somewhere.

And how does the smaller size of Ophelia work for you?

Mostly because I was browsing the website and saw it and fell in love with it and a few others, but Miranda said get Ophelia..she is my sister. I love having two very different crystal balls. One that has a lot going on inside her and very talkative (Miranda) and another who is much more clear and will be an interesting challenge, yet lovely, still!

I haven't worked with Ophelia much, yet. Just as I started I got very ill, so when I am better I plan to have lots of time with them, both and will report in the divination forum under Crystal Balls Journals. Being sick and trying to scry just doesn't work well together!

Briar Rose
03-04-2007, 10:58
HearthCricket :heart:

I hope you feel better soon! It's the New England dampness that gets to me.

Feel better!

wizzle
09-04-2007, 10:48
Here's part of my collection of spheres plus my obelisks. Love obelisks!!

In this first picture, the larger dark sphere is made of labradorite. The smaller brownish sphere is a rutilated quartz, totally opaque but it reads well anyway. The labradorite sphere is about 75mm or 3". The other sphere is about 2.5". I purchased the lab sphere from Phoenix Orion (http://www.phoenixorion.com).

To give you a sense of scale, in the other picture, the large obelisk on the left is 13" or about 320mm. And the larger sphere is 3.75" or 100mm. I've had these items for about 12 years or so and they all came from gem shows.

I try to find interesting stands for the spheres. The stands meant for thick candles seem to work very well for the larger spheres. The glass stands shown came from TJ Maxx (love that store).

Much love. Such fun to be able to share with you.

celticnoodle
09-04-2007, 21:52
ooh very pretty wizzle! i got my ball stand at TJMaxx too---mine is wooden and is actually meant to be a plant stand, but works perfectly with holding my ball steady. I love that store too!

HearthCricket
09-04-2007, 23:02
Those are lovely, Wizzle, and look so nice in the window all clustered together! Very pretty and inspiring look!

Cerulean
23-04-2007, 12:05
I'm making sachets of these herbs:

1. Sage Flowers
3. Sage Leaves
4. Sweet peas
5. Rosemary/Lavendar
6. Rose petals

I took the crystals outside with cotton cloths, shells and the herbs gathered and photographed them near late afternoon.

1. Clear quartz with large moon/star silver necklace that I use as a stand for the heavy flourite--it's on a small clamshell and surround by herbs.

2. Blue mix of glass/crystal next to celestine and hematite Kwan-Yin for balance and peaceable feeling. Also on herbs, shells.

3. Aqua Japanese float with etched glass--seems clearer than the quartz, doesn't it?

4. Flourite with flowers...seems milky...on an abalone shell.

5. Best close up of Flourite with one view of it's 'hidden pictures' or 'trees. It spans the color range of soft amethyst to light, clear green. A booth at a festival where the owner hand-picks all her items...has a website...Serpent's Kiss...for the show, it was about thirty dollars. Really a great price for me.

celticnoodle
24-04-2007, 00:07
Cerulean, what beautiful pictures! i grow my own lavender, sage, rosemary, and roses, and many other beautiful plants and herbs, and should copy you by taking a photo of my ball among them.

I've dried much of the herbs for cooking as well as for having them around for the aroma too. I've heard that dried sage is great for protection, so that is all over the place- dried. I do keep some sage in with my crystal ball as well.

your photos were gorgeous. You should frame them and have them up in a room, they are so pretty! thank you for sharing them.

HearthCricket
01-05-2007, 06:37
Well, the more the merrier! I ordered a smokey quartz sphere, and a few smaller quartz spheres, which I expect in a few days and will have to take some pictures of. I just loved Lark's gorgeous setup and am seeing spheres in a whole new light! :) I thought the smokey quartz would give me the chance to try out scrying against something dark, but not quite a solid dark as obsidian, so I am really looking forward to this one-even though it is quite a bit smaller than the others. I think it will have a very mystique look about it!

Sophie
07-05-2007, 05:32
At a holistic fair this afternoon, I saw the most gorgeous quartz crystal ball! I have been looking for one for over two years, but with that kind of investment, I was picky...

...and then I found it. Today. The most beautiful phantoms play inside it...and sweetest of all, it has a window!

I am in love.

It sits on my altar, as yet uncharged, but already very powerful.

I wasn't really looking. I had just bought a citrine from the Congo to serve as my "get-up-and-go" writing stone. My eye strayed...

Well, all great loves start that way.

Sigh.

:love: :love: :love:

HearthCricket
07-05-2007, 07:26
Oh, you must share pictures! I would love to see this beauty! Isn't it wonderful when the right one finally comes along? :)

Cerulean
07-05-2007, 09:21
I wanted to thank everyone's lovely inspiration and sharing...and especially thanks to HearthCricket for starting this thread and letting us see her growing collection...of course I'd love to enjoy a wonderful display as Lark's beauties...so will keep my pennies and eyes inspired to beautiful crystalline dreams...

And I'm eager to see the new inspirations...am going to try Geranium and rose sachets next...

Regards,

Cerulean_Damselfly

Alta
07-05-2007, 11:26
YES! along with HC and cerulean. Looking forward to a pic of your new lovely. It is a bit of a trick to get a nice shot of them, but part of the getting to know them phase anyway. Congratulations!

lark
07-05-2007, 11:46
Sounds like a beauty Fudugazi...I would love to see a picture too...

I was at the rock shop Sticks n' Stones last Wednesday and got a beautiful large banded amethyst sphere.
It's striped with bands of amethyst and quartz crystal.
Best part I got it with a birthday gift certificate....I'm a lot in love with it..strange of all the spheres I have I've never had an amethyst one and it's my birthstone.
So it was about time, and I was in the right place at the right time.

But one of my girlfriends has been looking for a clear crystal ball for a long, long time and she looked up and there it was sitting on the shelf...
So it was wisked into the back room untill she gets the rest of the money together to buy it.

that's what i love about crystals you don't find them they find you.

By the way Cerulean extremely beautiful displays...you have an eye for beauty that is unmatched and an art in itself!

Sophie
07-05-2007, 17:22
Well, the lighting is not terrific in the flat, so I did what I could, and had to move it to take close-ups. None of them do justice to it, and I couldn't bring out the window inside it :(. I'm not much of a photographer, I'm afraid.

I'll try again later, when the light has shifted a little. In the meantime, here are three pics I took. The first one is on the altar, between Sidhe-Ra's incomparable Magician from the Tarot of the Sidhe, and Lillie's beautiful Priestess on wood, from the 4th AT Community Tarot. The other two I took in another room, for the sake of lighting, since flash blanked out all the phantoms.

Little Baron
07-05-2007, 18:25
That looks lovely Fud!

Does it have a name, like the other here? ;)

I very much like Lillie's Priestess too.

LB

Sophie
07-05-2007, 18:48
Does it have a name, like the other here? ;)A highly original name! I call it: My Crystal Ball ;). But give me a few days to learn how to use it and it will become the Teller of Truths (TT for short).

Yes, Lillie's Priestess is a beaut. I claimed her as soon as I saw her in the 4th ATF deck section. I'm going to have a bodice made just like hers, and gaze into TT.

Little Baron
07-05-2007, 19:14
I'm going to have a bodice made just like hers, and gaze into TT.

We used to have a childhood character over here with a head like your ball. You could call it Bod :D

LB

HearthCricket
07-05-2007, 22:43
Lovely crystal ball, Fudugazi! Try later and see if you can get a picture of it in the sunlight. I was going to say "she", but I am not sure, having not being formally acquainted! :D

Sophie
07-05-2007, 22:54
Thanks, Hearthcricket! I will try to photograph it in the sunlight. It's a hermaphrodite - it has the best of both sexes, and I've not yet discovered if it has the worst :D.

So I might start calling it s/he, LOL.

I can't wait to try herim (? :eek:) out for scrying. Any tips?

Alta
07-05-2007, 22:59
I found good sunlight seemed to work best. It brings out the internal reflections. Also I had to try the ball in different angles.

Sophie
07-05-2007, 23:08
It's only mildly sunny day today, but I gave it a shot anyway, and here are my results. In the first picture you can just about make out the window inside the ball.

Alta
08-05-2007, 00:05
That is better, especially the second shot. Nice!

HearthCricket
08-05-2007, 00:39
Very mysterious and mystical ball you have there! Good things should come of it! Enjoy!!

lark
08-05-2007, 00:59
Yes, very beautiful..did you notice on the second picture that the light is forming a little Jesus Cross on the right side....

Sophie
08-05-2007, 01:05
did you notice on the second picture that the light is forming a little Jesus Cross on the right side....Oh wow, I've just seen this! A message? A message about worthwhile sacrifice? I badly need that kind of reassurance these days...

Thanks for pointing it out.

lark
08-05-2007, 01:29
A message? A message about worthwhile sacrifice?
That's what first poped into my head when I saw it too.
Crystals we have looked for for a long time and then suddenly appear when we are not searching or expecting them so often tie in with the things we are going through at the moment in our life..

Sophie
08-05-2007, 01:43
Crystals we have looked for for a long time and then suddenly appear when we are not searching or expecting them so often tie in with the things we are going through at the moment in our life..Ah, it makes sense, doesn't it?

Your signature is another such message, lark. I've seen it a hundred times, but only today is it speaking to me so loudly. It's from Yeats' When You are Old - a poem a little like a cross of light on the side of a crystal ball...

I wonder what else I'll find in that ball, once I start examining it closely?

lark
08-05-2007, 01:56
Yes it is, here it is all together...and speaks to me on so many levels.

When You Are Old

When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire,
Take down this book,
And slowly read,
And dream of the soft look your eyes had once,
and of their shadows deep.

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
and loved the sorrows of your changing face.

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
and paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

W.B. Yeats

Sometimes a little silly perhaps, but I read a lot of poetry and certain poetry remind me of certain crystals because they have such a real personality....this poem always reminds me of Ametrine...two crystals that come together but never really lose their own individuality and so they had to become a different something all together.

Sophie
08-05-2007, 04:36
What a lovely idea, matching poetry with crystals...

I've found an ametrine sphere (http://mineralminers.com/html/amtspdc.stm) to go with your Yeats poem, lark! (scroll down for the spheres).

I wonder which poem would go best with my Crystal Ball? I think, maybe, there will be many, it seems to be so abundant...

celticnoodle
08-05-2007, 05:52
it's been awhile since i've been on this thread, but Fudugazi, i did look at your pics on your ball. very very nice!

i swore when we all decided to give it a go earlier in this spread with working with our crystal balls, that I would do so. however, after a few tries and getting nowhere, i got frustrated i guess, and just have no desire to continue right now. i know it's not good to try to read the ball if you are frustrated, so....

however, i have since purchased two more crystal balls. the first one is a beautiful quartz crystal the size of a jack ball---remember those balls you would bounce as you picked up the jacks? then the other one is a smaller ball, the size of a marble, and is at the end of a wand. they had made it into a wand, with a crystal ball at the top and anohter crystal at the other end. I could not resist buying it, especially because the store owner gave me a great deal on it, (because I purchased so much at her shop!). I do wish I could get my scanner to work, so I can include my photos too!

has anyone had any recent luck with scrying with their balls? I know I just give up too easily. I have not charged my new balls, and I think the large ball needs to be re-charged. So, will have to do that I guess, before I try again. I'm more into the tarot cards, I guess, right now. But I sure do enjoy hearing and seeing the photos of everyone else's crystals.

Cerulean
08-05-2007, 05:57
The Phantom of the Sphere in your first photo has a nice shadowy profile and an upraised hand waving hello to us here--that's the first thing I noticed.

Such a lovely misty color and the soft lighting is exactly right for the first look-see...mine are not as magically bright as those seen here...my gentle flourite sphere is lovely for showing me trees and once, while turning it around and focusing, a gentle back-shape emergence of a pretty profile and over-the-shoulder glimpse of a womanly face--but it was a glimpse after I poured some water over it--the impression was someone shaking their head to get the raindrops off.

Thanks that people like the idea of herbs and spheres nestled together...under moonlight is gentlest, methinks, or softer shades...

I do like the slightly misty to cloudy ones with clear spots to help my imagined and inner eyes to see a sort of sky or landscape...

What fun! What and where dreams may come...

Cerulean

P.S. The moon is waning now where I am...my best times are the balsamic and full moon...interested in blue moon experiences soon...

Sophie
08-05-2007, 17:02
The Phantom of the Sphere in your first photo has a nice shadowy profile and an upraised hand waving hello to us here--that's the first thing I noticed.So it does! Thanks for pointing that out. It was saying hello to all of you :)

Oh, scrying under moonlight, what a beautiful idea! I have been scrying with my black obsidian mirror, but by candlelight.

Celticnoodle - I can't help you yet, I've not started scrying with the ball. I want it to settle down with me first, and me with it. But I'm off to open a scrying with crystal balls thread in Divination, hoping for tips!

RussianSoul
16-05-2007, 05:43
My crystal ball arrived from China yesterday. Go me! I waited almost 2 months for it.

It is a small one - 2.6 inches (66 mm) in diameter, has inclusions and small rainbows. I like it quite a bit, although I wish it was a little bigger.

Following HearthCricket and others I've been looking into it noticing shapes and reflections. So far I saw a seagull (or some other water bird), a shape resembling Rodin's Thinker, a side of a mountain (looked like K2), an eye, and a Japanese Noh mask.

I will report more stuff when I see it.

Here's my ball:

HearthCricket
16-05-2007, 06:09
Absolutely gorgeous, RussianSoul! It reminds me a lot of my Ophelia, with all that clarity and the plane going right through the center. Very lovely! Where on earth did you order it from China? That is so cool!

WolfyJames
16-05-2007, 18:33
I have three crystal balls but only use one for scrying. I got my first ball as a teenager and while my first experience with it gave result, it never happened again after that. It's a medium clear sphere and after being knocked here and there is not in top shape anymore. I was given a medium black crystall ball as a gift as well. I use both of them for decorative purpose on my altar. The last one I bought at a new age store and I wanted to use that one for scrying. It is very small and I kind of fell in love with it, it's clear and simple looking, payed it 10$CAD. I have better result with this one but often I get only fog. I don't have a photo for the small one I use, that one has never seen the light of the sun since I linked it with the moon. I have never thought of giving them names but reading here your posts make me ponder and I shall consider finding names for my crystal balls.

Photobucket refuses to respond right now, can't upload pictures, will do it later.

RedRobin
19-05-2007, 00:17
Thanks to everyone for sharing your photos! What beautiful collections you all have - just magikal!

Fud- I love your alter photo.
Hearth - It's so funny you said your Miranda wanted a "helper".

When I got my first larger quartz sphere, there was another just a tad smaller that I just kept holding on to as I walked through the shop looking at everything. It just felt so right in my hand.
Then I came to a case filled with crystal balls of all kinds. Myself and the shopkeeper helping me, both pointed to one particular sphere at the same time. We knew it was "the" one that had to come home with me. Those moments are rare and so beautiful when they happen!

Blessings to all, Robin

.traveller.
19-05-2007, 11:00
I love looking at everyone's pictures so I will post a picture of mine in return. I've had the crystals in the picture for over ten years. I haven't tried scrying with them (much), I keep them around because I enjoy the energy they give off. I have a few more spheres that aren't in the photo, a large blackish one that I am not sure what it is made of/what stone and a small quartz that greatly resembles Hearthcricket's Miranda. The quartz is an inch+ in diameter and I generally carry it with me. The black one is about the size of a softball and I keep that one locked up. It's rather chatty and keeps me up at night if I don't put it in the curio.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/traveller_photos/miscellaneous/crystalballs002.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/traveller_photos/miscellaneous/crystalballs003.jpg

HearthCricket
19-05-2007, 11:14
Very nice, Traveller! They look very compatible and content in that bunch!

annik
19-05-2007, 23:42
I bought a quartz crystal ball at a recent gem and mineral show. It have some fracture in it. I was very much attracted to it when I first saw it. I have two other crystal balls (one is clear and the other is the same color than sapphir but I think they are made of glass).

I did a handful look at them (especially the older two) but I didn't had success with them yet. But I am thinking to do more experiment with them.

.traveller.
20-05-2007, 03:26
I finally got a pic of Monsieur the black orb. I think he's made of obsidian but I'm not entirely certain. I'm sorry about the blurry pictures, this camera isn't very good... I need to bit the bullet and buy a new camera.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/traveller_photos/miscellaneous/monsieur.jpg

HearthCricket
21-05-2007, 02:00
Monsieur is quite handsome!

.traveller.
21-05-2007, 02:10
Thank you! Monsieur agrees with you :laugh:

Sophie
21-05-2007, 03:27
I think we should introduce the handsome Monsieur (oh, I do like them that colour!), to my lovely delicately translucent Madame. She seems to have a zoo inside her but she's a good housewife (I know, I saw the clothes line first time I went peering into her depths).

Do you think they would breed? })

.traveller.
21-05-2007, 04:10
Well I think they would have LOVELY offspring, Monsieur has two fascinating galaxy swirls that are offset from one another and I bet they would look breathtaking in a translucent form. He is looking a little panicked all of a sudden, I wonder what brought that on? })

lark
21-05-2007, 09:37
Well, I don't know about you guys but I can see 3 little lion cubs in that beautiful sphere.

.traveller.
21-05-2007, 12:19
Which one? I was looking at the picture of Monsieur and I saw a woman holding a baby monkey that was wrapped in a blanket. I didn't see that while looking at Monsieur directly; usually I just see my face since he is so reflective.

lark
21-05-2007, 12:42
LOL your sphere .traveller..:D
Yup, I see three little lion cubs tumbling around playing and you see a monkey wrapped in a blanket...:cool2:
That's why I love spheres!
It's like Where's Waldo... almost anything can appear.

Pumpkin
22-05-2007, 03:35
I finally got a pic of Monsieur the black orb. I think he's made of obsidian but I'm not entirely certain. I'm sorry about the blurry pictures, this camera isn't very good... I need to bit the bullet and buy a new camera.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/traveller_photos/miscellaneous/monsieur.jpg

Gorgeous. :D

If Monsieur and the lovely delicately translucent Madame produce, I will be happy to adopt. ;)

I saw a kitty face and a puppy face in Monsieur. The kitty face is just above the window(?) reflection. Puppy off to the side of the reflection. Kinda like a poodle.

celticnoodle
29-05-2007, 06:13
recently i purchased a pocket sized crystal ball that is easily tucked into my purse. this past weekend, while showing it off to my mom, she was able to see things in it. I also saw things--more then i ever saw in my large ball! it was thrilling! now i have to see about finding a 2nd one---to give to mom! :D

Little Baron
29-05-2007, 06:23
Brad just saw Monsieur.

Oh dear. How manly Monsieur is.

Brad is pushing out his little crystal chest and pulling rainbow muscles.

Now look what you have started Traveller!

LB

[Great ball though .. just don't tell BradI said so]

a_shikhs
29-05-2007, 17:40
recently i purchased a pocket sized crystal ball that is easily tucked into my purse. this past weekend, while showing it off to my mom, she was able to see things in it. I also saw things--more then i ever saw in my large ball! it was thrilling! now i have to see about finding a 2nd one---to give to mom! :D
Yesterday while browsing at my favourite crystal shop, I too saw a small clear quartz ball. But I didn't buy it thinking that I wouldn't be able to scry with it. But now I think I was wrong. Maybe I can scry with it. Guess I'll go and pick it up. :)

I even saw a huge rose quartz crystal ball. Can you scry with a rose quartz crystal ball or is it preferable to buy a clear quartz?

HearthCricket
29-05-2007, 22:29
I even saw a huge rose quartz crystal ball. Can you scry with a rose quartz crystal ball or is it preferable to buy a clear quartz?

A think a lot depends on each individual. As much as I love rose quartz I could never scry with it. I need something very transparent, with with some inclusions. Other need a smooth dark surface, like obsidian or onyx. Others have luck with smokey quartz. The rose quartz spheres I have seen are very solid pink and there is not much to work with, IMO. I would look around the shop and see if you can find a natural clear quartz, somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches wide. Super large ones are not necessary, but little teeny spheres probably won't get you anywhere, either. This is if you are very serious about scrying. They are costly. If you just want to collect spheres, like lots of people do, then a rose quartz and any size is fine!

.traveller.
30-05-2007, 08:27
Brad just saw Monsieur.

Oh dear. How manly Monsieur is.

Brad is pushing out his little crystal chest and pulling rainbow muscles.

Now look what you have started Traveller!

LB

[Great ball though .. just don't tell BradI said so]

Thank you LB, you and Brad made me smile. Monsieur is flattered by all of his new admirers :)

If you just want to collect spheres, like lots of people do, then a rose quartz and any size is fine!

That's what I used to do :D , but I would like to use them too. I've seen smaller RQ orbs with clear areas, so that maybe something to look for.

Cerulean
30-05-2007, 10:24
Ashikhs asked:

Yesterday while browsing at my favourite crystal shop, I too saw a small clear quartz ball. But I didn't buy it thinking that I wouldn't be able to scry with it. But now I think I was wrong. Maybe I can scry with it. Guess I'll go and pick it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello there!

The rosy quartz might be be too opaque for some, but if you can handle and look at it in the daylight, there might be some tranluscent areas and it's softness might be what you need for a gentle, gentle atmosphere.

To some, it might be too soft a color or remind them of digestive medicine if the pink is really opaque (in the U.S., some people refer to brighter pinks as 'blah" and say the name of a over-the-counter stomachache medicine). To others, the pink is just the ticket for a comforting feel.

I thought my rather foggy-in-the-dark fluorites wouldn't have anything to say to me...but water, fog, clouds, mist and translucent watercolor have been my friends for a long time for impressions.

And that early morning gray-blue light of morning or the afterwash of rose and yellow of sunset or the gray twilight shadows work for me.

I was surprised that green and lavendar really worked for me...will upload pictures later. Traveller's wonderful Monsieur inspired me to go for a very reasonably priced, two-hands-full dark flourite with white and beautiful jade streaks...I admire Monsieur so much, that the 'dark fluorite' suggested wonderful possibilities.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Cerulean
30-05-2007, 11:15
Shade 1 & 2 is the dark fluorite

Mist 1 & 2 is the smaller one you've seen before with crystalline trees.

Not certain, but these might be good names for these spheres.

They are resting in geranium petals...the nice folkloric geranium notes I have seem to be kindly and we like these seasonal beauties. If you think your spheres are cheerfully opaque, shower them with flower, someone said...actually the airing and quick rinsing seem to work well in cooler air and for a short time. A covered porch and near-night or early morning works for me.

Best,

Cerulean

P.S. I read that fluorite is friendly to nature-oriented sorts...

.traveller.
30-05-2007, 14:25
Awesome! Those are so amazingly gorgeous! They remind me of soap bubbles, so magical. Hmm, I don't have a fluorite ball.... (goes off to ponder)

lark
31-05-2007, 00:14
In your last picture Cerulean..(shade 2) I can see the most beautiful fairy girl dancing..with her head thrown back and her face turned to look behind her...her long hair floating in the breeze ..she is holding her arm out in front of her and in it she holds a scarf that is also floating in the breeze..she is on her tip toes and has on ballet slippers... amazing!

MysticTree
10-06-2007, 08:26
Steve, the manager of the Silver Pyramid is one of the most talented men I have meet when it comes to crystals. You can't go wrong with any of his items. If you have questions about finding the right one for you, just call him. He loves to talk crystal balls!

http://silverpyramid.com/

Good luck on your jouney

MT

Nan
04-07-2007, 07:12
Hi
I love this site, I have learned so much from it. I never thought of haveing a crystal ball but now I think I must. I will start looking in the local stores to see what is here.
And I most certainly must be learning about it. I seem drawn it them for some reason.

HearthCricket
04-07-2007, 07:19
I'm glad you found us, Nan! Yes, the crystal balls can be absolutely enchanting! You will know if you have the right one when it crawls right up to you and you can't keep your eye off of it! They practically sing to you like sirens!

stella01904
30-11-2007, 01:56
Thanks for the recommendation on the Uma Silbey book. I went to amazon and read the review on Ted Andrews book, which wasn't very favorable. Are those the two main ones?The "main ones" are Crystal Gazing by Theodore Besterman, Crystal Vision Through Crystal Gazing by Theodore Besterman, and Crystal Gazing and Clairvoyance by John Melville. All others are plaigarizations at best, or BS at worst.

It's kind of pathetic that nothing decent has been written on the subject since Besterman in 1924, with the possible exception of Moody's psychomanteum research.

Alta
30-11-2007, 21:55
Thanks Stella!

MysticalMoose
11-12-2007, 04:54
I have just re-read this lovely thread from the start! Id love to know how you are all getting on with your wonderful crystal friends now?

MM :love:

celticnoodle
11-12-2007, 04:57
I have just re-read this lovely thread from the start! Id love to know how you are all getting on with your wonderful crystal friends now?

MM :love:Wow! that was a lot of reading. Unfortunately, I have not played with any of my crystal balls of late, though they do fascinate me. I prefer my meditation, the tarot & oracle cards and the psychic circles right now. I wonder though how the others are doing. Hope they will also share.

MysticalMoose
11-12-2007, 05:16
*looks expectantly & hopefully across to Hearthcricket* :)

autumnsdaughter
06-01-2008, 07:30
Woo hoo!!! :D

I just got my crystal ball! She's a beaut! I will post a picture later on... She is petite and quite transparent, with a couple rainbows and some veils. I saw her in the crystal case at my local occult shop, and it was love at first sight! Yay!!!

celticnoodle
07-01-2008, 09:22
wonderful autumnsdaughter! do let us know here how well you do with your new friend! :)

autumnsdaughter
07-01-2008, 10:46
Well, last night I spent some quality time with her... And her name is Cygnet, because there is a tiny little swan in one of her rainbows. I think she is rather shy, and a little bewildered to be in a new environment. However, I introduced her to my herd of amethyst, the blue faery, and the wizard (a couple of pewter buddies) and she seems to be relaxing. I measured her, and she has a diameter of around 2 and 3/4 inches- not too tiny, actually! Now, to make a comfy little velvet pillow for her to sleep on.

celticnoodle
16-01-2008, 11:09
Well, last night I spent some quality time with her... And her name is Cygnet, because there is a tiny little swan in one of her rainbows. I think she is rather shy, and a little bewildered to be in a new environment. However, I introduced her to my herd of amethyst, the blue faery, and the wizard (a couple of pewter buddies) and she seems to be relaxing. I measured her, and she has a diameter of around 2 and 3/4 inches- not too tiny, actually! Now, to make a comfy little velvet pillow for her to sleep on.oh, how nice! i was just thinking of this thread, and went back looking for it. give her time to settle in, and I'm sure she'll be sending you lots of pics! ;)

HearthCricket
16-01-2008, 12:13
Well, last night I spent some quality time with her... And her name is Cygnet, because there is a tiny little swan in one of her rainbows. I think she is rather shy, and a little bewildered to be in a new environment. However, I introduced her to my herd of amethyst, the blue faery, and the wizard (a couple of pewter buddies) and she seems to be relaxing. I measured her, and she has a diameter of around 2 and 3/4 inches- not too tiny, actually! Now, to make a comfy little velvet pillow for her to sleep on.

How wonderful to have a new addition to the family! :D I have not worked with Miranda and Ophelia until this past week, as it was just not a conducive atmosphere for it during the holiday season. Now that things are quieter, the runes, the pendulum, the decks and my crystal balls are seeing more action, again, and it is nice! I look forward to hearing your experiences with Cygnet! Enjoy!!

Sonic
16-01-2008, 12:21
Congratulations on the new addition! I will be so excited to meet her when you post pictures. Our divination tools as well as our pets are really our children. :D

Furnacechant
16-01-2008, 12:43
Well, now you've all done it and broken my resolve not to spend more money on non-life-threatening necessities for this month...:P

Pictures will come in a couple of weeks after the eBay package arrives and I've had time to sculpt a suitable stand!