Now what stone are you?

wumpkie

Hi there guys, I was wondering if you know what type of stone this lil' fella is?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s104/wumpkie/DSCN1181.jpg

As I have no clue.

When we were holidaying in Wales we found them rounded on a beach and some of the cliffs were made of this. They looked so unusual that we took some home. Some live the garden and some live the house near the windows. But if anyone could help that would be great.

Wumpkie :)

crystalwoman

Need more information about the location you were at. Wales is reknowned for it's mineral mines so that stone could be any one of thousands of white colored minerals. In your picture it looks to me like water tumbled milky quartz or white marble, but it could also be white granite, or a mineral with white dolomite or limestone in it, or something else. So if you can narrow down the location it would be easier to identify the stone. What geographical part of Wales were you in, what town were you near, do you know if the cliffs or the beach had a name? Is the stone transluscent or opaque? (If you hold it up to the light does any light show through?) Does it have any other colors in it besides white? I don't know if it's a trick of my screen or not, but it looks like there's a faint hint of green to it, and a streak of black.

wumpkie

Caernarfon and Porthmadog is roughly the area in Wales we were walking and we were staying at Portmeirion. Sorry I really should have written that down sooner :)

crystalwoman

Check to see if light gets through it when it's held to the light, and if there's any sparkles in it - if so it may be white marble. If no light get's through at all then that's probably white slate. I'm thinking it will be white slate as there are some white slate quarries in those parts of Wales.

wumpkie

It glows when there is light shone through it and it does twinkle. Hmmmmm..:D

HearthCricket

It looks like white marble, but that green tinge or strain through it is interesting. It could just be the marble, or it could be something else. Any possibility of bringing it to a Geology teacher at a college? I did this, back in the mid 80's and he helped me to identify quite a few rocks/minerals I had found and could not identify, as I was a rock hound back then. Might be worth looking into. Or even an very experienced jeweler.