Copyright images

Arcane

MM

I am setting up my website and was wondering what the copyright law was regarding displaying of images?

I ideally would like to display a cover image of each deck I would be using for a reading.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this please?

Thanks
K

Grizabella

It's best to contact the creator of the deck and request permission to use images.

Arcane

Thank you. Do you know whether they charge for this or will they do it for a link on site?

baba-prague

In theory, "fair use" allows you to use a very few cards from a deck without asking permission. But in practice it's more polite, and safer, to ask first, especially if the site is a business rather than a personal or educational one.

We don't ask for payment (we would if, say, a money-making tarot reading site was built around our brand, but that's quite different). I can't speak for other publishers but our view is that the publicity is good - particularly if it's a good, honest and knowledgeable site (as the vast majority of those I've seen built by AT people are).

Sulis

Arcane said:
Thank you. Do you know whether they charge for this or will they do it for a link on site?

As far as I know some publishing companies charge and some don't.

When I started my site I contacted Llewellyn to see if I could use images of The World Spirit Tarot and they wanted me to either include a review of the deck on the site or offer it for sale (I think).

The images I have on my website now are from quite small deck publishers such as Magic Realist Press (thanks Baba :)) or they are self published decks.
I wrote to the deck creators and asked for permission.
I found that most folks will let you use a few images as long as you credit them and make sure you include the copyright.

Arcane

Thanks Baba and Sulis.

I must admit Baba looking at your website has only gone and put temptation right in front of me again!! Thats just not fair <wide grin> There are two decks on my wish list!!

I am hoping to be using my druidcraft as working well with them at the moment, well it even generated feedback out of my Free Readings!!

I have to see what other decks, whether temptation gets the better of me

Thanks again for all the help

K / Arcane