Hellenismos Cosmology Oracle Deck (Classical Mythology Deck)

zagone

There appears to be a deck on the market that functions both as an oracle and as a teaching tool about the classical gods and goddesses.

It's called either the Classicial Mythology Deck or the Hellenismos Cosmology Oracle and can be found at:

http://store.inspire-network.com/co..._id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8&vmcchk=1

There are unfortunately few pictures online. Three posters of some of the artwork can be found here:

http://store.inspire-network.com/co...ategory_id,13/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,8/

In US currency, the deck comes to about $45 including shipping (from South Africa).

The author, Jacques Theron, appears from his website to have background in architypes, psychology, and mystical subjects. He's written a few books, including "The Building Blocks of Tarot" (although I can't find it on Amazon).

Here's the text from the website:

Classical Mythology Deck
Bring the Greek & Roman Gods to life via this unique deck that offers a simple approach to Classical Mythology.

The 81 intricately-illustrated cards can be used:

As an oracle... to gain insight into the archetypes influencing your life. The divinatory meanings and affirmations on each card guide you to understand your relationships, explore your life circumstances and give readings for the past, present and future.

As a teaching tool... learn about the Gods and Goddesses through imagery, symbolism and factual information. Detailed explanations are provided on the reverse face of each card.

The 81 individual card images fit together to create a striking single picture illustrating relationships between the Gods and levels of rulership.

The Classical Mythology Deck explores:

10 Primal Gods - including Gaia, Goddess of the Earth...

28 Titan Gods - including Nike, Goddess of Victory...

16 Olympians - including Apollo, God of Light...

27 Lesser Gods - including Ploutos, God of Abundance... the Graces, the Muses...

9 supplementary Information Cards explain how to use the deck for insightful readings, meditations or rituals.

Thanks,
Zagone

SolSionnach

Inspire Network

Classical Mythology Deck

Hi there everyone,

Thanks a lot for that wonderful introduction... the Classical Mythology Deck has been an incredible process. I specifically created it since I feel one cannot squeeze Hellenismos cosmology into a Tarot system in a satisfactory way - as profound as the Tarot may be. Perhaps Tarot is more of an Alchemical world-view, while Hellenismos has shamanic roots (the two of course not being mutually exclusive).

So... the CMD is more of a Creation Story relating to the classical system, with obvious divinatory and meditation applications. The Protogonoi are first and second generation, the Titans third and fourth, the Olympians fourth and fifth, and the ‘Minor’ Gods are either fifth and sixth generation (those not fitting into the 'Olympian/Dodecatheon' category), or otherwise those not directly/recently descended from the immortals (like Ganymede or Arete).

Chat later,
Jacques

room

I quite like this too--I like decks that challenge me to learn something.

Also it looks like coloured pencil for the artwork--my favourite medium. Jacques, can you talk about the artwork a bit?

250.00 ZAR is about $39 CAD plus what kind of shipping please to Canada?

elvenstar

This looks really interesting! And we're lucky to have you here on AT, Jacques :) Could you perhaps tell us, are the posters on the website images from the deck? Who do they represent? Can we see more, please? ok, I can see you regretting coming forward now :D

Inspire Network

Classical Mythology Deck

Hi there,

I'm sorry, I've been away for a while, so I've not forgotten about this site...

About the artwork, it is indeed in colour pencil, which I find is a light and playful way of bringing images to life. The references are from Greek and Roman statues, as well as from Renaissance art (both styles that I adore).

The poster is actually 'in the works' at the moment. All the individual cards fit together to make one big image - which will be the poster. I am currently getting more pictures uploaded onto the web so you can get a better idea of the style. If you want to contact me personally, I can send you images via e-mail. inspire@telkomsa.net

Otherwise, I'm just forging ahead now with promotions. I should be distributing to the UK and US soon... but this is a whole new field for me, so I'm learning lots.

I've also atrated thinking about the next deck... a toss-up between "Classical Heroes Deck" (which will tie in, but focus on heroes and heroines and how they fit the Heroic Path of mortals), or the Mediaeval Mythology Deck (which will include Alchemy, the Grail cycle, King Arthur etc)...

What do you think?

Keep well,
Jacques

room

Inspire Network said:
a toss-up between "Classical Heroes Deck" (which will tie in, but focus on heroes and heroines and how they fit the Heroic Path of mortals), or the Mediaeval Mythology Deck (which will include Alchemy, the Grail cycle, King Arthur etc)...

I am interested in the Classical Heroes deck myself. I don't see as many comprehensive deck references to classical personalities, and yet alchemy and general mythology creeps into lots of decks.

I would love a deck that explores the classical heroes in a deeper way.

Of course, you could do both. <g>

Inspire Network

Classical Heroes

I think you're right... good point.
I want to do a Classical Heroes Deck, but specifically with a way to learn the lessons of these heroes in one's daily life, in normal situations...
I'll have think about this one more...
Thanks again,
Jacques

Papageno

hmmm a very lovely and fascinating deck. definitely one of the more interesting offerings so far. there are other "mythological" decks inspired by the Hellenistic tradition but they are woefully limited in scope and depth.

Elven

Hi Jaques! :)
Welcome aboard Aeclectic! Its lovely to have you here with us and talking about your deck!

As often happens, I picked up last week, a small book called Tales of Ancient Greece by Sir George W Cox, an old book, printed around 1889 ... telling the stories, in a narrative style, of Greek Mythology. Very interesting! I havent delved much into this before, but find it fascinating at the moment.
and now here you are with an Oracle Deck to help my interests! Love it!! :p

Will the deck be available in Australia?

An Oracle like this would also match nicely for combined reading with the Mythic Tarot, or other mythology decks as well (or any Tarot, but keeping to the theme of the process) - that something I would also be interested in.

Penciled artwork, I also have a liking for. I will sens you an email for some scans of the cards.

Best of wishes and success with your deck. 81 cards is a nice hefty deck to work with - as most are around the 40 card mark ... I will be interested to read with this Oracle indeed!

Blessings Elven x