Saying goodbye to an old deck... Wise to sell?

Reverie

I'm trying my hardest to resist the urge to buy several decks even though it's very tempting sometimes! There are so many beautiful decks out there that I would like to have... yet I would like to limit my collection and avoid buying decks which I wouldn't have room for anymore. So I really have to look for 'the perfect one' that would complement my collection. So many decks do look alike... How long did it take for you to accumulate your collection?
Also, I don't know how I feel about selling a deck... Afterall, we work so hard to establish connections with our decks, is it really wise to sell them? How does the deck feel? :p
Not that decks are people, but wouldn't this create some kind of bad energy if you just gave it away? Like using someone enough and now it's time to sell them?
I have a Universal Waite deck which doesn't inspire me very much, but if I sell it I don't want it to come back and haunt me :p It was my first deck afterall. Should I give it away?

AJ

unless is it one of the really early collectible Waite's it probably won't bring much used.
But as far as selling and buying/receiving used decks, I love 'em. But then I don't believe in good/bad juju residing in decks either...

If you can afford to do so, why not watch the new introductions for a 'real' newbie and offer to send them the deck free gratis? There is a lot of that sort of giving here and it will be returned to you at some point.

Or you could start a raffle for folks with just a few decks. A favorite one is folks picking the card they want to represent them. When all 78 cards have been chosen you draw one at random and that is the winner. Not sure we have 78 people here who don't have that deck, but you could reduce it down to the majors?

Grizabella

I wouldn't get rid of your first deck. You probably really would regret it in the long run.

There's nothing wrong with getting rid of decks in general that don't do anything for you, though. But if you're new to tarot, I'd suggest not getting rid of anything in haste.

But if you're going to go seeking "the perfect deck", I can tell you right now that it doesn't exist. What you end up doing is opening yourself up to tarot mania and addiction to the thrill of getting a new deck.

Reverie

Lyric said:
But if you're going to go seeking "the perfect deck", I can tell you right now that it doesn't exist. What you end up doing is opening yourself up to tarot mania and addiction to the thrill of getting a new deck.

This is what I would really like to avoid. ha ha (if I can)

AJ said:
Or you could start a raffle for folks with just a few decks. A favorite one is folks picking the card they want to represent them. When all 78 cards have been chosen you draw one at random and that is the winner. Not sure we have 78 people here who don't have that deck, but you could reduce it down to the majors?
What a great idea!

Sinduction

I don't know, I have to disagree with Lyric (gulp). I do think the perfect deck exists. Of course, you might have to make it yourself!! For me the gilded is so close to perfection for me that I doubt I will ever read with anything else. I also search out each deck before I buy to see as many of the cards as I can. I am so picky with the art work. Now that I'm about to marry an artist, I will finally have my very own personal deck. If I can get him to actually do it. :)

I don't mind getting rid of decks I don't read with. Some of them just don't speak to me and I'd rather have them go to someone who will cherish them. I gave away my vampire deck to a friend who loves it. I have kept a hold of my first rider deck and I don't think I will ever part with it since I learned with it. Perhaps the time will come when I will give that away too.

Reverie

Sinduction said:
Now that I'm about to marry an artist, I will finally have my very own personal deck. If I can get him to actually do it. :)

I don't mind getting rid of decks I don't read with. Some of them just don't speak to me and I'd rather have them go to someone who will cherish them. I gave away my vampire deck to a friend who loves it. I have kept a hold of my first rider deck and I don't think I will ever part with it since I learned with it. Perhaps the time will come when I will give that away too.

Thanks for the great advice Sinduction :)
That's a good point, someone could make better use of a deck that I can't bond with ;)
And wow, your husband is going to make you your own personal deck, now that's love!

Briar Rose

My first deck was the Intuitive. After a couple of years I felt it was too much into psychology, so I traded it. The woman was kind she gave me, The Aqurian, The Moon Garden and a medium sized Rider. Now I love all these decks and wouldn't part with them!!!!

Your first deck is such a basic deck, and I love the Rider for that.

For some, maybe there is a prefect deck out there, and maybe there are several perfect decks.

I was just talking to a tarot reader (reads for money) and she said she burried a bunch of decks in the ground and only kept one.

I say, each to his or her own.

Buying a new deck well, they are like works of art. The cards are so beautiful. I used to think it was nuts to buy yet another deck. Now I changed my mind. Trades are fun. I once traded 3 times to get the 'right deck.'

The crowned one

Just put it away for now, you will use it again. Personally I buy decks in groups of three to five, it is a new system for me as I have always stuck to The Aqurian or Waite deck. I can't choose a deck with a choice of one so I buy a few at a time. I have five on the way and I am very happy about that.

I am sentimental, first every-things are important to me, even empty match packs that I can not recall why I kept them :>

suedeheadsmiths

Perfect Deck

What a great thread. I'm new to the tarot, well doing it myself anyways. My perfect deck will always be WCS (Rider-Waite) I'm so thrilled though because I will be getting my Lord of the Rings deck soon. I couldn't believe when I saw it on here. I had never heard of it before. Now if someone would just make a Star Wars and Winnie the Pooh deck I would be in sheer delight. (I know Winnie would be hard, not a lot of characters) but just the thought brings such joy to my heart. I would probably give my Crowley-Harris Thoth deck away and never look back.

Edit (Yes I'm a boy trapped in a 32 year old body)

Chris :)

ilweran

I'd guess I have around 120 decks and it's taken me around 11 years to collect them. I have no problems with selling or giving away decks I don't like or no longer want- I've bought plenty second-hand and it's never caused a problem.

I do agree with Lyric about not getting rid of your first deck. At least not without really thinking hard about it.